E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
DIY: Headlight removal for facelifted coupe

Ok, so my DIY got deleted on the site it was hosted on, so I'm rewriting it for you guys. I couldn't find the document I saved it on, but oh well. This shouldn't be too hard. Anyhow, I know this says it's for facelifted coupes, but you can still use it as a general guide for all e46's.

***Note: Follow this at your own risk. I am not liable for any damages or injuries that may have resulted or caused by this DIY.***

Tools needed:
- Flat screw driver (I used the BMW one)
- 8 mm socket
- Magnetic antenna (trust me, you will thank me for it later)
- Long extension for ratchet
- Towel, or some rag or something
- Optional: A friend (it would definitely make it easier for those with headlight washers, but it's not required)

First you want to take out the 4 mm bolts that are holding the headlight down. There are two on top of the headlight, one behind the headlight, and one right next to the kidney grill (where the magnetic antenna is going to save you).

Here's a picture of the passenger side with the bolts circled in white:

Close up of the kidney hard to get one:

Driver's side:

Back of the driver's headlight cause the airbox was in the way:

Next you want to take out the headlight trim. Here's what it looks like:

You want to pull the trim off starting from the side closest to the middle of the car going outwards (towards the front of the car). When you get to the end, stop and read the next step. The red arrows shows the direction you should be pulling:

Next you want to take out the part that is connected to the fender. This is where the rag comes in. put it around the flat and put it in the gap and push the screw driver towards the car, while doing that, pull the headlight trim in the same direction (away from the car) and it should pop right out. Some cars take more force especially if the headlight hasn't been taken out before (by anyone, including the dealer).

Here's a couple of pictures to illustrate:

Picture of the placement of the flat screw driver (without the rag to show how it should be positioned):

***If you have headlight washers, do not take the headlight trim all the way out. Just leave it there after you do the 2 prior steps. It should be held on only by the headlight washer. Continue to the next step, there will be an extra step at the end for those with headlight washers***

So you should have your headlight trim out now. Just go put that somewhere safe. Next you want to take out the plugs that are connected to the headlights. There should be 5 of them for Bi-xenon headlights (high, low, turn signal, Bi-xenon shutter, auto-leveling), 4 for single xenons (same as bixenon except no Bi-xenon shutter plug), and 3 for halogens (high, low, turn signal). Since you took out the 4 bolts, you can slide the headlight out a little to give yourself some space to pull those plugs out. I usually start by taking out the auto-leveling one first, then go to the rest.

Picture was taken upside down (left to right in picture: bi-xenon shutter, high beam, low beam):

Turn signal (again picture taken upside down):

Auto-leveling plug. It's wedged up against the radiator support bar (picture taken upside down):

***Those with headlight washers, you want to skip the next paragraph. Read that, then go back to this step.***

After you're done with that, all that is left is to pretty much pull out the headlight. It's not going to come out easily though. Thing still wants to put up a fight lol. But when you pull out, you want to push down a little (so that the stuff in the back clears the radiator support bar) on the headlight then pull up diagonally towards you (so the ballast on the bottom clears the bottom plastic piece). It might take you a little while, but that's the gist of it. For you halogen guys, you have it easy. I should just come out with a little wiggling.

Sorry I don't have a picture of this, not like it's going to help you anyways lol

And you're done. To put it back, reverse the steps. Remember to push down the headlight when you're putting it back in.

***For those with headlight washers***

What you want to do is to pull out the headlight trim with one hand and hold it out as far as it could go. Then use your other hand to pull the headlight out (using the procedure described above). Yea I know sounds impossible, but you can do it. Start by pushing the back of the headlight down and pushing it forward at the same time from the back. Then do the other half of the procedure in the front. Really, if you have a friend, this would make it a lot easier as he (or you) can hold the headlight trim while you (or him) can wiggle out the headlight.

Well I hope that helps you guys.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited by CortinaD; 05-24-2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Changed picture locations
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
mct777

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Sillie...thanks for re-posting. I've got a question for ya. What would you replace first if the headlight was only working intermittently? It's not a loose connection and it does work sometimes so it's not the bulb. The ballast or the ignitor? Thanks, Mike
mct777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
sillieidiot

have you changed the bulbs to isolate the problem before ruling out what it's not? honestly, that description could be any of the xenon components. more likely to be bulbs and ignitor, but it's possible on the ballast.

what i would do is to swap the xenon components systematically isolate the problem. swap out the bulbs (as it's the easiest to do), if problem changes sides, it's the bulbs. then take out the headlight a swap the ballast (next easiest), if the problem switches sides, it's the ballast. if not, it's the ignitor.

there's a link in my sig for taking out and replacing the components in my sig.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Fatal Flash

My Ride: '12 RRS, '12 Evoque
add one more thing...when you wedged out the trim, you put the screwdriver there, i can tell from the pics that you messed up your paint on the fender...

for whoever does this, simply wrap your screwdriver in a rag 2-3 times to prevent any damage to your car

Fatal Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
sillieidiot

uh yea, i already told them that

and i didn't do that, the stupid dealer tech did. i had a ballast issue, went in for warranty and found it like that. no only that, they broke the trim so i had to leave my car there and wait for a brand new one to be painted at put on. i hate going to the dealer.

if you think that side is bad, look at the other side.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
mct777

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Ok thanks for the help. I figured that it wouldn't be the bulb if it was intermittent. Either it would work or be burned out. Go figure.
mct777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
- Magnetic antenna (trust me, you will thank me for it later)
I dropped one of the screws down below the fan and had to reach my hand down there from several different angles to get it Took me about an hour to get that dam screw
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #8
Fatal Flash

My Ride: '12 RRS, '12 Evoque
^^ thats why u need those little magnet rods...

and OP sorry bro! didnt feel like reading a DIY i do all the time, just the pics interested me, my bad!

Fatal Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
sillieidiot

it's cool man. no harm done

Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
skiggity

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
I dropped one of the screws down below the fan and had to reach my hand down there from several different angles to get it Took me about an hour to get that dam screw
I did that too! I just gave up though and lost a screw.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
thank you so much. very informative and great pics!!

is it easy to put it all back together?

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake

Last edited by mujjuman; 02-15-2009 at 10:05 PM.
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
sillieidiot

yes sir, it's just the opposite of what you need. this is where you really need the magnetic antenna. it's almost impossible to put the screw back without it. though i've manage to accomplish this a few times.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #13
mujjuman

Is this the same process for a facelifted sedan? Didnt notice the "for facelifted coupe" in the title,

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake

Last edited by mujjuman; 02-16-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: changing my question, lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #14
sillieidiot

yes sir, same process for all the cars pretty much. i just made a redundant DIY because people asked so yea lol

Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
yes sir, same process for all the cars pretty much. i just made a redundant DIY because people asked so yea lol
oh lol, thanks for clear up, and thanks especially for making all these DIYs I'm about to use

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #16
sillieidiot

no problem man. you should really thank the people that asks me for the DIYs lol. i'm usually too lazy to make the DIYs cause it just makes the process longer (like this one, took me like an hour to take out one headlight because i had to stop to take pictures, it normally takes me 10-15 for both headlights lol)

Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
sandman512

My Ride: 2005 325I
Sille,
Great DIY. I wish it was around when I installed my P46's. Nice job!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
sillieidiot

^ thanks. actually, i think it was around when you installed yours. it's just i had it hosted on a different forum. but that went down so i rewrote it on here

Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #19
BMW jockey

My Ride: 325 ci m sport
Problems with washers

Anyone else had a problem with the washer tank draining after removing the headlights. I took mine out and ever since they've been back i can't sort out stopping the pump from draining. I think its to do with the washers not fitting all the way back and thus releasing a slow flow of water.
Help would be appreciated
BMW jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #20
sillieidiot

Yea i've had that problem before when i tried to take out the trim and the nozzle. It's just that nozzle part connecting to that tube. If that isn't in securely, it keeps on draining. And that thing is a ***** to put back securely

Tags
e46 headlight removal