E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #61
miktrebla09

My Ride: bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptVBS View Post
Bigger everything. Oh, plus RWD.

haha interesting first post

nice looking car
Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #62
mike86325

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaples View Post
They only say its "stiffer" than the e46 (referring to a 3 series) and he thinks its stiffer than the m3. The author never actually tested them side by side. and all hyundai says is its stiffer than the e46 with no claims against the m3. Plus "stiffer" is more a term with the feel than the actual handling. I want to see them side by side through Laguna Seca or on a skid pad.
EXACTLY..

I really wish they took them to a track and got some lap times. I really doubt anyone here would put money on the hyundai.

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
FOR SALE:
2 Michelin PS2 275/30/19: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=665386
Pre-face Sedan Tails, Corners, Side markers: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=708875
mike86325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #63
Mahjik

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Send a message via ICQ to Mahjik Send a message via AIM to Mahjik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamn46 View Post
shut up dude..lol a *hitty car is a *hitty car.. if i was driving a honda or riding the bus for that matter, i would still say the same thing about hyundai..plus this is a BMW ENTHUSIAST FORUM of course the views and opinions are going to be 110% on the BMW side.
The people who own BMW's own them for specific reasons. They don't own them because they are the best, or fastest cars; because they simply aren't. Calling a car "*hitty" when you have never owned or driven it is extremely narrow minded. The fact is, the E46 platform is old. Newer cars are going to be better/faster; that's just evolution. A Ferrari 308 was fast for it's time. However, today there are econo boxes that are faster...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #64
jagLacs

My Ride: M3
So who's trading up?? I'll have to take a test drive just for curiosity...who knows it might be pretty good.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #65
h00ligan

My Ride: 2004 LSB M3
Let's also not forget about gen 1 products and Hyundai's previous repair problems. I'm not sure who said that Hyundai would be cheaper in the long run, but everyone i've ever known with a hyundai has HATED it and watched it disintegrate. So can the new ones be better? Perhaps.. but only time will tell and i wouldn't put 35k into doing the test run. Hyundai would have a VERY long way to go to get me to buy one.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #66
jfman

My Ride: 325xit 5spd, E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBmrDude View Post
I cant justify spending $35k + on hyundai which next year the value drops to prolly like $15K
Like BMW's hold their value well Some BMW's wish they only lost $15k of value the first year.

I'l drive anything that makes me smile while behind the wheel. I dont car what the badges say.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #67
NoKillStories

My Ride: 328is in disguise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
The people who own BMW's own them for specific reasons. They don't own them because they are the best, or fastest cars; because they simply aren't. Calling a car "*hitty" when you have never owned or driven it is extremely narrow minded. The fact is, the E46 platform is old. Newer cars are going to be better/faster; that's just evolution. A Ferrari 308 was fast for it's time. However, today there are econo boxes that are faster...
Do you buy a new car every year?
NoKillStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #68
Mahjik

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKillStories View Post
Do you buy a new car every year?
I used to trade cars out every other year. No real reason other than I liked going through the motions of "buying a car". However, I'm not sure what that has to do with this conversation.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #69
NoKillStories

^That new cars aren't always better, and this new Hyundai isn't one of them.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #70
Mahjik

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKillStories View Post
^That new cars aren't always better, and this new Hyundai isn't one of them.
Better is a "relative" term. To some people, "faster" is better. To others, faster slalom speeds mean better. To others, it's just the look of a car that is "better". For instance (just making a point, not meant as something factual), a VW Golf could do better on a small road course but that doesn't make it a "better car" now does it? Maybe not to you, but to someone else it might. Your opinion won't be any better or worse than that individuals because it's just than; an opinion.

There are many cars which are "faster" than the M3. People buy M3's (or any car for that matter) for specific reasons. Those that bought an M3 didn't get it for it's quarter mile times (if they did, they bought the wrong car), they didn't get because it's an autox demon (and it's not), etc... For those reasons, who cares if Hyundai brings out a decent performing car? The fact that people automatically judge it is pathetic. Those people aren't automobile enthusiast, they are just BMW followers.

At some point, the "cheap" cars will overtake the M3 (just look at the E36). Is that today, or tomorrow? Regardless, it will happen.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #71
7xes

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to 7xes
for me it looks pretty nice, but still i prefer the classic lines of m3. and as i see it m3 is an old car that would calmly come to the start lane, while gen would be the aggressive one making a lot of noise that might not necessary be the winner. compare it to 350z or g35/37 not to an m3. just by looking at them they are two totally different worlds.
7xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #72
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
"yah we should fight back! say no to Hyunda!" "We must preserve the sanctity of the M3 as being the best car ever"

"Whose with me?!"

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #73
sunydude

My Ride: Boost

E46 325i - sold
E46 M/// - sold
2011 WRX - sold !!!

Back to BMW :-)
sunydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #74
NoKillStories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Better is a "relative" term. To some people, "faster" is better. To others, faster slalom speeds mean better. To others, it's just the look of a car that is "better". For instance (just making a point, not meant as something factual), a VW Golf could do better on a small road course but that doesn't make it a "better car" now does it? Maybe not to you, but to someone else it might. Your opinion won't be any better or worse than that individuals because it's just than; an opinion.

There are many cars which are "faster" than the M3. People buy M3's (or any car for that matter) for specific reasons. Those that bought an M3 didn't get it for it's quarter mile times (if they did, they bought the wrong car), they didn't get because it's an autox demon (and it's not), etc... For those reasons, who cares if Hyundai brings out a decent performing car? The fact that people automatically judge it is pathetic. Those people aren't automobile enthusiast, they are just BMW followers.

At some point, the "cheap" cars will overtake the M3 (just look at the E36). Is that today, or tomorrow? Regardless, it will happen.

I agree with you. It does depend what you want in a car and then you can compare that to others. Hyundai doesn't exactly have a long rep for making performance cars, yet. I look for overall quality and performance, and I'm very sceptical about Hyundai being that kind of car. Time will tell...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #75
ElDiabloBlanco

My Ride: WTB: E46 M3
a gen coupe may be stiffer, but not nearly as stiff as my stiffy when i see an e46
ElDiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #76
sunydude

My Ride: Boost
^

E46 325i - sold
E46 M/// - sold
2011 WRX - sold !!!

Back to BMW :-)
sunydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #77
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
wow, 10 years later and they're still comparing cars to the e46 m3, i would feel appreciated if anything.
+1
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #78
FutureMD32

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86325 View Post
EXACTLY..

I really wish they took them to a track and got some lap times. I really doubt anyone here would put money on the hyundai.
If they put Rhys Millen in that Huyndai, i'm putting my life savings on him rather any of us idiots in M3s.

Personally, I love the Genesis coupe and Sedan. Hyundai is already above the quality levels at any of the domestic manufacturers and only another few years until they are equals to the Japanese and Europeans. I totally respect that company and the direction they are going. In my book any positive competition will only force other manufacturers to step up the game.
1998 Nissan S14 240sx, powered by RB26
1990 Nissan S13 240sx, 630 whp SR20DET
1995 Subaru Legacy, EJ20R, 410 whp
Soon to have 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

Last edited by FutureMD32; 04-17-2009 at 11:32 PM.
FutureMD32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #79
TiG3rBa7m

My Ride: looking
they are ok

91 240sx w/ RB20
TiG3rBa7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #80
|sland|2oots

My Ride: ///M3
still not a E46.