E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #21
BMW jockey

My Ride: 325 ci m sport
How did you end up sorting it in the end? I've been trying for weeks to sort it out and am losing patience with it now. Not going to take it into dealership though as they will charge me a fortune
BMW jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #22
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
pretty much took out the headlight again. you know that tube that i'm talking about that connects to the nozzle. pull that out and hold it with a pair of pliers. then put the trim and nozzle back in and make sure it's secure. then put in the headlight the way i instructed to do so in the DIY.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #23
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW jockey View Post
How did you end up sorting it in the end? I've been trying for weeks to sort it out and am losing patience with it now. Not going to take it into dealership though as they will charge me a fortune
seriously man it sucks... i asked why the price for a part was pretty much double (Tischer vs local dealer) and he said "well you drive a BMW". that pissed me off

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
BMW jockey

My Ride: 325 ci m sport
Cheers for the advice sillie, finally managed to sort out the problem. Annoying that the fix was so simple though, dread to think how much a dealer would have charged me to sort it out.
BMW jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #25
Fluke

My Ride: Sapphire Black 330i
Hey Sillie,

I apologize in advance for coming into this one a little late.

Just wondering if I could ask you a quick question? I've got the winter package as well with those headlight washers. I've got a problem right now that I'm still trying to diagnose with my drivers side bulb not firing up properly from time to time. I needed new bulbs anyway, so I swapped those out, but it's still happening. Next step, per your instructions, is to try swapping out the ballasts (next easiest thing) to see if they're the culprit. I installed some Halos, so I'm pretty much a ninja at this point when it comes to pulling out the trim pieces along with the lens, etc, but I've never pulled out the entire light assembly itself. I want to get at the ballast, but from what I understand, I need to get underneath the light assebly in order to do so. There's that springy deal that works the headlight washer head that's holding it all in there that I just sort of disconnected loosely and left there on the side while I installed the halos. When I was done, I just slid it back out of the way so that I could slide the lens in, slid the lens back on, clipped that in, clipped the trim pieces back in, and I was off to the races.

If you undo all of the bolts and take out the headlight, what else do you have to take into consideration when you're taking off the washer version of the headlights? Is it as simple as crimping off and disconnecting a hose? That would just be too simple, so I'm assuming that's likely not the case.

I'm basically just looking for the simplest possible way of swapping out the ballasts on the washer version of the lights so that I can at least eliminate the ballast as a possible cause.
Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #26
sillieidiot

^ wow really long post lol. at first i was like, this doesn't sound like a facelifted coupe because you can't put angels without taking out the headlight, then i looked at your ride status and it all came to me lol.

anyways, in my DIY, it tells you what to do if you have headlight washers (in bold). but it would be essentially what you did with the lense. you pull it out with one hand and try to pull the rest of the headlight out with the other hand. if you have a friend, that would be better so you can divide up the work.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #27
Fluke

My Ride: Sapphire Black 330i
Dang, sorry about that. Looks like I got a little bit ahead of myself and literally skipped right over it. I've got a buddy that I'm sure won't mind me passing him a beer for one hand while he holds the washer components with the other =) Sorry for not reading that a bit more closely. And a thousand thank you's for such a stellar post!
Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #28
magnuzza

My Ride: Black 323i
Just what I need!

Thank you for this DIY
magnuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #29
evolution_bmw

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
i need to change my cracked headlamp cover... and this DIY looks extremely helpful for that task. many, many thanks!

mujjuman, i hear ya on the dealer prices... a local dealer here in so cal is quoting about double for headlamp cover vs. a place like pelican parts...

04 996 GT3 - Speed Yellow
00 E46 328Ci - Black (Supersprint, Conforti intake, power pulleys, H&R, Bilstein)
00 A4 1.8t - Silver (Milltek, HyperBoost diverter, Neuspeed Race, Bilstein) - GONE
89 E30 325is - Black (Dinan, Sebring, Schrick, Korman, Racing Dynamics, Bilstein) - GONE
evolution_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #30
Rodie

My Ride: 2003 M3 Cab
Thanks for the DIY -- I found my faulty ballast and have one on order. One comment so as to save someone else some trouble:

The driver side ballast for a 2003 M3 is NOT under the headlight like on the passenger side. You do NOT have to remove the drivers side headlight to get at the ballast, it is under the black cover with the two plugs in it just behind and to the right of the headlamp. It looks like the only thing in there is the ballast. Cover pops right off and you need to undo two bolts and flip the bugger over to remove two more torx bolts to get at it. Hope this saves someone some trouble.

Not sure if this is for a 2003 or if it is just for the M. Good luck all. Thanks again for such a good post.
Rodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #31
boostkid

My Ride: 05' ZCP M3
Anyone know what the part number is for the screws on the back and side of the headlight that hold it in place? Thanks.
boostkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #32
sillieidiot

nah, but you could just use any other screw. you don't even need all 4 screws, just 3. i think i have a spare one around somewhere, if i find it, i'll let you know.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #33
Tede46ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I lost the screw in front of the headlights and been trying to find it and finally gave up
Do I need that screw? It bugs me without it..lol
Tede46ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #34
sillieidiot

in front? there shouldn't be any in front. only where i showed you. or you talking about the top? either way, you only need 3. technically you only need 2, one on top and one on bottom lol

Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #35
Tede46ci

The kidney hard to get one..it's a pain to take it of and paint to screw it back in then I lost it...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #36
sillieidiot

lol did you use a magnetic antenna of some sort? that is why i said it was recommended. that's the only one that needs it. the others, not so much

Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #37
Tede46ci

So I need that screw?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #38
sillieidiot

no sir

Old 09-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #39
nilberg

My Ride: 2003 320DAT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW jockey View Post
Anyone else had a problem with the washer tank draining after removing the headlights. I took mine out and ever since they've been back i can't sort out stopping the pump from draining. I think its to do with the washers not fitting all the way back and thus releasing a slow flow of water.
Help would be appreciated

Same thing here. I friggin' hate headlight washers.

Last edited by nilberg; 09-19-2010 at 06:02 PM.
nilberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #40
sillieidiot

lol yea i used to have the problem. just when you put it back. turn on your headlights and use them once. that should make it so everything fits and it'll stop the drain.

Tags
e46 headlight removal