E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
redlin'r

My Ride: (E46) 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaaDiesel View Post
Nope, and to the OP-if you straight pipe the ENTIRE exhaust, no resonators & no muffler get ready for one loud, raspy, & IMO obnoxious 330.
I don't mind that. I think I am going to start with just the one closest to the engine and remove the muffler. That should be loud enough and if not I can take the second one out.
redlin'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
redlin'r

Update 4.6.09:

Car is going to the shop tomorrow. I got the tips in and I am excited to see them on the car!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
S373N

My Ride: 01' 330xi
Let me know how this goes.. I'm considering removing the muffler and running straight pipes back to two Magnaflow 3'' tips. From all the videos I've seen this sounds great I'm just concerned it won't sound great in real life. I don't mind it being loud, I just don't want it to sound like a Honda with a fart can.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #24
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
You also need to check the local laws on loud cars whether from sound systems or exhaust. I believe strongly in the stealth mode when it comes to the police. Don't do anything to attract their attention - it can be VERY costly.
Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #25
redlin'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by S373N View Post
Let me know how this goes.. I'm considering removing the muffler and running straight pipes back to two Magnaflow 3'' tips. From all the videos I've seen this sounds great I'm just concerned it won't sound great in real life. I don't mind it being loud, I just don't want it to sound like a Honda with a fart can.

Thanks
I am worried about this too. The car is at the shop right now and should be done in the next 1hr or so. I left the small resonator right after the muffler to help alittle with rasp and droan. I think I will be pleased for the little money I paid. As many people say yo uget what you pay for, but I was just looking for a sportier sound and a tiny tiny bit of top end. This car is stock and I only plan on getting an intake later. One day I will do a full exhuast, headers included but this should sound really nice!

I am more worried about how the tips will look since I got dtm round tips from magnaflow. The placement is key becuase if they stick out several inches that will look terrible. I explained to the fabricator location,etc. so I hope he was listening!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #26
S373N

My Ride: 01' 330xi
Yeah the DTM tips are not for everyone, but IMHO if done correctly they look just as good if not better then most sets. So you took out one of the resonators and the muffler? How much did they charge you? I was quoted over the phone $80-100 for parts and labor. Again, when you get the car back let me know how this sounds!

Last edited by S373N; 04-07-2009 at 03:36 PM.
S373N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #27
redlin'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by S373N View Post
Yeah the DTM tips are not for everyone, but IMHO if done correctly they look just as good if not better then most sets. So you took out one of the resonators and the muffler? How much did they charge you? I was quoted over the phone $80-100 for parts and labor. Again, when you get the car back let me know how this sounds!
I got the car back this afternoon. What a HUGE difference. It definitely is louder but only at lower rpms. The sounds is a deep rumble and I love the rasp and bubbly note it gives me on deceleration. I will post a video on youtube when I get a chance. But I love it. The DTM tips will take a little getting used to but the look great. Now I am persuaded to finish the black out of my car and the wheels and trim really need it next to complete the car.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #28
mk2_vr

My Ride: 04 330ci
soo what exactly is the purpose of the vacuume controlled flap?? why not just have a normal dual tip muffler to begin with?
mk2_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
vikes8411

My Ride: 325xi 350sc SLK 320
can somebody give me a comparision of the volume removing hte muffler to another stock car on the road that I would have heard? My main concern is that this would be obnoxiously loud.
vikes8411 is offline   Reply With Quote