E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
kyle808

My Ride: 00 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by trig View Post
Glad to see you got it done yourself. Nice write-up.
hey man, thanks to you for pointing me in the right direction and with the instructions in my other thread about looking for the leak.

thought I help out other fanatics with this write-up and pictures since I was in the process of doing it anyways.

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #22
kyle808

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm1991 View Post
My own tips:

- It is critical that you disconnect the negative of the battery first before messing with the alternator. So just start off with that.
- You do not have to remove any coolant hoses
- It's much easier to just remove the banjo bolt of the VANOS oil hose on the VANOS unit side (front) than on the oil filter housing side (down and back).
- Clean, clean, clean, clean everything you can ....
oh yeah, good tips. Yea, you don't need to remove the upper radiator hose, I did it because it gave me more room to work with.

I'll go back and edit my original post. thanks.

-Homer Simpson
Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
krod328Ci

My Ride: 00 Steel Grey 328Ci
Nice writeup.. I'll be doing this soon!
krod328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #24
Joeysauce

My Ride: E46 330ci
Quick question, is it possible to change this out, without removing the fan (auto)?

2001 330CI
MODS: H&R sport springs, 19" staggard M6 wheels, halo's, Cosmo CAI, Rouge IKON exhaust, M3 rep front bumper, Hamann side skirts, ACS rear add-on, M3 rear deck spoiler, clear signals, 6000k xenon and matching fogs, Meyle HD FCA/FCB, 20% window tint, LED rear tail lights.

-Un-decided possible Mods-

Matt-black kidney grills.
Joeysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
kyle808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeysauce View Post
Quick question, is it possible to change this out, without removing the fan (auto)?
My DIY was based on an auto and it will be pretty cramped if you don't remove the fan.. I mean you need to remove the alternator and the belt, the fan is definitely in the way. You will need a special tool 34mm to remove the mechanical fan, that's the downside.

-Homer Simpson
Old 04-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #26
Joeysauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle808 View Post
My DIY was based on an auto and it will be pretty cramped if you don't remove the fan.. I mean you need to remove the alternator and the belt, the fan is definitely in the way. You will need a special tool 34mm to remove the mechanical fan, that's the downside.
I see. No problem I guess. I am doing this finally on Sat. I already have the special tool needed as I just had to change the T-stat. Thanks!!

2001 330CI
MODS: H&R sport springs, 19" staggard M6 wheels, halo's, Cosmo CAI, Rouge IKON exhaust, M3 rep front bumper, Hamann side skirts, ACS rear add-on, M3 rear deck spoiler, clear signals, 6000k xenon and matching fogs, Meyle HD FCA/FCB, 20% window tint, LED rear tail lights.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #27
Joeysauce

How important is it to get some new washers for the Vanos oil hose? If important can I get some at any local auto store?

2001 330CI

Old 04-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #28
krod328Ci

Sweet DIY.. In the middle of it now, got everything cleaned up and ready to put the housing back on.. anyone know the correct torque for the 6 bolts on the housing?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #29
krod328Ci

Ok.. here's the best I could find from another thread (24ft/lbs).

Tighten
just snug with a ratchet. Using a torque wrench, tighten to 10 ft.lbs.
In a crossing pattern first. Then I tighten them to 24 ft.lbs., doing
the bottom left, then the top right (remember the alignment pins?) and
then continued in a crossing pattern. NOTE: The best spec. I could find
for these bolts was 16 ft.lbs. But it still leaked. My BMW Mechanic
friend said M8 bolts could go only as high as 26 ft.lbs. Also depending
on the length of the socket extension you use could also affect the
torque wrench settings. I would investigate this completely and use a
setting particular to your setup.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
thfrazer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Hello everyone. This is an excellent DIY write up Kyle808! Thank you!

One question. Can someone please tell/show me the VANOS banjo and where the washers are that I may need to replace when doing this?

Also, a bit more detail on how to remove the fan and shroud and alternator belt would be great for me.

Thanks,

Tom
thfrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #31
kyle808

Quote:
Originally Posted by thfrazer View Post
Hello everyone. This is an excellent DIY write up Kyle808! Thank you!

One question. Can someone please tell/show me the VANOS banjo and where the washers are that I may need to replace when doing this?

Also, a bit more detail on how to remove the fan and shroud and alternator belt would be great for me.

Thanks,

Tom
You can see the Vanos banjo in this picture. it's circled in yellow in the far left. I think it's an 18mm or 19mm socket. It's pretty big.

You you have an automatic, you will need a special 36mm BMW tool. You will need to turn it clockwise to loosen the 36MM fan bolt. The shroud is just a couple of 25 torx screws on the left and right. Something like this:

Alternator belt, just turn the belt tensioner clockwise to release the tension and then slip the belt off.

-Homer Simpson
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #32
giver13

My Ride: 01 330 ci
cid anyone completely pull out the housing or just move it to the side. And any tips on seating the gasket???
Old 08-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #33
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by giver13 View Post
cid anyone completely pull out the housing or just move it to the side. And any tips on seating the gasket???
No reason to remove it completely, just push it off to the side. The gasket will probably get stuck in the housing itself, in which case you can pry it out carefully, probably in several pieces. Once it's removed, clean both mating surfaces. The gasket sits in a channel in the housing, so seating the gasket is not an issue. Just put some oil on it, push it in the channel, and reattach the housing to the engine.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #34
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Great write-up. Subscribed!
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #35
kenny89_e46

My Ride: 01 black e46 sedan
sweet write up. i just fixed my leak yesterday. i had not problem with the fan. i did not need to remove it. everything went smoothly.
kenny89_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #36
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Any tips on removing the housing? I have the six bolts off, undid the oil pipe going to the vanos, all electrical connections are off but this thing won't budge. Also, those dowel pins are not listed anywhere, anyone have part numbers in case I bend mine?

edit: Never mind, got it with a few taps with a rubber mallet. Now if I can only undo this power steering pump. Already have two bolts off but it is still sticking to the housing. Does anyone know how many bolts is holding the P/S pump to the housing?

edit edit: Got it! Stupid bolt under neath in the back.

Last edited by genuity; 12-29-2009 at 05:46 PM.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #37
kyle808

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Any tips on removing the housing? I have the six bolts off, undid the oil pipe going to the vanos, all electrical connections are off but this thing won't budge. Also, those dowel pins are not listed anywhere, anyone have part numbers in case I bend mine?

edit: Never mind, got it with a few taps with a rubber mallet. Now if I can only undo this power steering pump. Already have two bolts off but it is still sticking to the housing. Does anyone know how many bolts is holding the P/S pump to the housing?

edit edit: Got it! Stupid bolt under neath in the back.
glad to hear you got it out.

-Homer Simpson
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #38
wpmcnamara

My Ride: 2002, 330i
Thanks for the DIY. Did mine today, along with both hoses to the power steering reservoir and the belts. About 8 hours total and between taking it out and putting in back, I probably spent 30-40 minutes wrestling with the alternator. A quick couple of tips -- a pry bar helps immensely taking it out, and a rubber mallet for putting it back in.

I hate the quick release connector used on the reservoir return line. The plastic release ring just disintegrated on me. I ended up getting out the Dremel to get it off. Works well, just make sure not to nick the power steering radiator line.
wpmcnamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #39
wpmcnamara

My Ride: 2002, 330i
Perhaps I celebrated a bit too early, or perhaps I'm just unlucky. The check engine light came on driving around town today. Cam shaft position codes. Not a faulty sensor, but one code for over advanced, and one for under advanced. Car doesn't appear to be running or idling rough, but since I had to undo the VANOS line and the electrical connections to the VANOS solenoid, I'm wondering what I screwed up.

I've cleared the codes and I'm about to run some errands so we will see if they come back.
wpmcnamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #40
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Great DIY, thank you. I really need to do this soon, I have a few questions, What exactly do we have to replace for the Vanos bolt?? Do i really have to remove the fan (auto)?, Can i rent the tool at pepboys?. Thank you. Also i assume we need to drain the oil first, no one mentioned it.

Last edited by n2Bimmer; 01-18-2010 at 12:08 PM.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote