E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #3521
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Frobie,

You and I know that I wasn't challenging you. I was just reflecting my own perspective as far as what you said... I'm only saying this to clarify things for everybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
40610(b)1, 2, & 3 that you quoted in your original message all outline things that would make a violation non-correctable. I know fraud or persistent neglect covers about every single tint violation (as does the immediate safety hazard). And the inability to immediately correct the violation covers anything and everything. Say you get pulled over for your exhaust being too loud. Can you remedy that immediately? What's the courts working definition of immediate? Mine? Yours? Basically, the Vehicle Code contradicts itself. It says that violations are correctable, but they have to be corrected immediately.

That said, if you get stopped for something like 5204a, not having the current/correct registration stickers on your plate. And you have the sticker in your glovebox, you could still be cited for that violation even if you put the sticker on while the officer writes you the ticket, but it can be made correctable. Make sense?
I would have to agree with you about the use of "immediately" in the vehicle code. I think the fact that the citation appearance date is usually a few weeks after it is written, I would suggest that a reasonable person could assume that immediately falls under the premise of "at your first available opportunity". Add to that the fact that one could get cited for a correctable violation once twice or three times before the correction is made and more importantly before the due date on that first citation comes up.

There are many terms in the vehicle code that are just as, if not more conspicuous that the one you suggested. For example "reasonable and prudent" under VC section 22350. "Reasonable and prudent" to whom? You (as an officer)? Me ( as the driver you cited)? Or the court which was not preview to the circumstances at the scene (circumstances such as weather, road conditions, visibility, and the presence of pedestrians and or property that could have been at risk due to my driving t the alleged speed).

One could only hope that the presiding judge on that day, is going to look at evidence presented by both sides equally and just as fairly, and that he will make the determination about reasonable, prudent or immediate for that matter in an impartial manner and without a preconceived idea that the officer is always right or that the driver is always wrong. Officers, after all, are only human and they too make errors in judgment at times... Although drivers make more mistakes more often .

With that being said, I think my previous statements were only a confirmation that I too see the contradictions in the vehicle code; and my disagreement with your statements stemmed for those contradictions rather than from the sense of me offering a challenge to any of your previous statements.

Last edited by Speeder; 04-09-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #3522
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Frobie,

You and I know that I wasn't challenging you. I was just reflecting my own perspective as far as what you said... I'm only saying this to clarify things for everybody else.

With that being said, I think my previous statements were only a confirmation that I too see the contradictions in the vehicle code; and my disagreement with your statements stemmed for those contradictions rather than from the sense of me offering a challenge to any of your previous statements.
Omar, it's no biggie, seriously! What fun is a message board without a little conflict? And a discussion without swearing and name calling is welcome!

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #3523
peynam87M3

My Ride: M3. soon 335i
hey frobie, got a speeding ticket, expired registration(which i paid for) and no front plate ticket today. how much is the total gonna be?

could i fight the expired registration since i already paid for it?
peynam87M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #3524
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
hey all, i recently got a response from court saying i was found not guilty for my unsafe lane change violation. However, i first had a court date and missed it due to me being rear ended. Because i missed court, i had a suspended license and a civil assessment fee of 300 tacked on. The clerk said that the civil assessment fee would be dropped if i was to win my tbd case. I did a trial by written declaration, and attached a copy of the collision report explaining why i had missed court. I was on the free way heading towards the courthouse about 30 minutes prior to the trial time when i got rear ended and took about an hour of my time.

Well, the letter i recently got from the courts state that i was found not guilty of the infraction but my petition for the civil assessment was denied. It also said that what i had paid for the bail was used towards the civil assessment and that i still owed about 130. I am really frustrated because i was unjustly given a ticket but later found not guilty. THe chp officer that did the collision report knew i was heading to court, and that he would be willing to write statement for me if need be due to the fact that he said his superiors would have to sign off on it.

What can i possibly do about the civil assessment fee. I was not guilty of the ticket, have a valid reason along with a collision report, yet i am still charged. I am a student and this is quite depressing.

Another question, i also got pulled over for no front plate just this week. I was told by the officer if i was to get it corrected, signed, and mailed in within 30 days that no fees would be applied at all. Yet, i always hear of people saying fix it tickets are 10 or 50 dollars. How much does it cost and what is the process on that? There is no where on ticket/citation that says correctable or non correctable? if i was to get it signed and mailed in this week.. how much would it all cost me? thanks.
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #3525
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
hey all, i recently got a response from court saying i was found not guilty for my unsafe lane change violation. However, i first had a court date and missed it due to me being rear ended. Because i missed court, i had a suspended license and a civil assessment fee of 300 tacked on. The clerk said that the civil assessment fee would be dropped if i was to win my tbd case. I did a trial by written declaration, and attached a copy of the collision report explaining why i had missed court. I was on the free way heading towards the courthouse about 30 minutes prior to the trial time when i got rear ended and took about an hour of my time.

Well, the letter i recently got from the courts state that i was found not guilty of the infraction but my petition for the civil assessment was denied. It also said that what i had paid for the bail was used towards the civil assessment and that i still owed about 130. I am really frustrated because i was unjustly given a ticket but later found not guilty. THe chp officer that did the collision report knew i was heading to court, and that he would be willing to write statement for me if need be due to the fact that he said his superiors would have to sign off on it.

What can i possibly do about the civil assessment fee. I was not guilty of the ticket, have a valid reason along with a collision report, yet i am still charged. I am a student and this is quite depressing.

Another question, i also got pulled over for no front plate just this week. I was told by the officer if i was to get it corrected, signed, and mailed in within 30 days that no fees would be applied at all. Yet, i always hear of people saying fix it tickets are 10 or 50 dollars. How much does it cost and what is the process on that? There is no where on ticket/citation that says correctable or non correctable? if i was to get it signed and mailed in this week.. how much would it all cost me? thanks.
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #3526
volcomnator999

My Ride: 1997 328i
can i get a ticket for indecent exposure or something for having a suction cup dildo on the roof of my car? or any kind of phallic graphics on my car?

and yes this is a srs question
volcomnator999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #3527
SilverStreakTeg

My Ride: 2006 325ci
Im sure there a statute for lewd act, which a dildo on a roof is a lewd act. You really think little kids need to look at a car and see a dildo on it?

www.AlbanyAutoGroup.com Sponsored by: DetailedImage.com
SilverStreakTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #3528
jason 77

My Ride: 2001 330xi 5speed
Hello everyone!

I have been thinking this over for a few days now.......

I have a 1982 honda 100s little motorcycle, I bought it off of a distant relative for a 6 pack of Coors 4-5 years ago. It doesn't run anymore as I have not fired it up in a few years. Just yesterday I got the bug to strip it down and rebuild the little guy. That got me thinking of actually using it for something else than puttering around off road.

I looked it up and it appears to be a model that at one time was deamed "road worthy". The only thing is that I do not have a title, nor does the distant relative who I got it from. I know that all the law enforcement people on here are not in the DMV, but I thought this might be a good place to post this anyways.

Does anyone here know if it would be possible to get this thing registered and be able to drive it on the street? I just want it to go to and from work "5 minutes away" etc.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #3529
Azban

My Ride: 2003 325i
So last night i got pulled over for speeding and he wrote down that i was doing 80+ in a 45. There is no way i was doing 80. So i came to a complete stop at the light. Once it turned green i took off not all out but defiantly accelerating fast. When i noticed the lights he was far behind me and i imediatly let off the gas and slowed down looking at my speed and it was a little above 60. He was far enough behind me that i thought at first he might just be lights on and going to a call but he pulled in behind me. Once i knew he was after me i pulled over and went through the process. So today i went to the same spot and stopped at a red and guned it all out when it turned green and there is no way i could get to 80 by the time i reached the place where we pulled over not to mention that i started slowing before that spot. On the ticket it says he didnt use a radar and when i first saw him light up he was wayyy behind me. To far to have paced and to have gotten a good judge on speed also it was at night.

I admit that i was speeding but was wondering if there is anyway i could fight the speed he wrote so that i would not have to pay as much and possibly have the option of traffic school instead of getting the point.

Thanks
Azban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #3530
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peynam87M3 View Post
hey frobie, got a speeding ticket, expired registration(which i paid for) and no front plate ticket today. how much is the total gonna be?
I don't know what your total fine amount would be. But you might be able to look it up online. Try searching for a court website for the county that you got the ticket in.

Quote:
could i fight the expired registration since i already paid for it?
You can always fight any ticket that you get. But you should just have to show the court proof that you paid the registration prior to the ticket date and that violation should get dropped.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #3531
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post

The problem is that whether or not you were guilty of a violation you were still required to appear in court at the date and time that you promised. The only thing I can think of is to contact the court and tell them what happened that caused you to be late. If they'll accept a written statement from the CHP Officer then contact the Officer and request a statement.

The fine amount for fix-it tickets went up recently. It used to be $10. But I believe it went up to $35 plus court fees. Check the court website for more accurate information.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #3532
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomnator999 View Post
can i get a ticket for indecent exposure or something for having a suction cup dildo on the roof of my car? or any kind of phallic graphics on my car?

and yes this is a srs question
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreakTeg View Post
Im sure there a statute for lewd act, which a dildo on a roof is a lewd act. You really think little kids need to look at a car and see a dildo on it?
I don't think that this would fall under indecent exposure since it's not actually a human part being displayed. But if you're going to put something like this on your car expect to get a ticket for every single little thing you do wrong.

While it might not be illegal to have phallic symbols on your car, they'll draw attention. Not always attention that you want. I think that it's rather disgusting and would write a ticket for everything that I could even if not for the dildo. No one, especially kids, needs or wants to see something like this on a car.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #3533
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 77 View Post
Hello everyone!

I have been thinking this over for a few days now.......

I have a 1982 honda 100s little motorcycle, I bought it off of a distant relative for a 6 pack of Coors 4-5 years ago. It doesn't run anymore as I have not fired it up in a few years. Just yesterday I got the bug to strip it down and rebuild the little guy. That got me thinking of actually using it for something else than puttering around off road.

I looked it up and it appears to be a model that at one time was deamed "road worthy". The only thing is that I do not have a title, nor does the distant relative who I got it from. I know that all the law enforcement people on here are not in the DMV, but I thought this might be a good place to post this anyways.

Does anyone here know if it would be possible to get this thing registered and be able to drive it on the street? I just want it to go to and from work "5 minutes away" etc.
You can contact your local CHP Office and request a VIN inspection. Once that's done you can register the bike at the DMV.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #3534
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azban View Post
So last night i got pulled over for speeding and he wrote down that i was doing 80+ in a 45. There is no way i was doing 80. So i came to a complete stop at the light. Once it turned green i took off not all out but defiantly accelerating fast. When i noticed the lights he was far behind me and i imediatly let off the gas and slowed down looking at my speed and it was a little above 60. He was far enough behind me that i thought at first he might just be lights on and going to a call but he pulled in behind me. Once i knew he was after me i pulled over and went through the process. So today i went to the same spot and stopped at a red and guned it all out when it turned green and there is no way i could get to 80 by the time i reached the place where we pulled over not to mention that i started slowing before that spot. On the ticket it says he didnt use a radar and when i first saw him light up he was wayyy behind me. To far to have paced and to have gotten a good judge on speed also it was at night.

I admit that i was speeding but was wondering if there is anyway i could fight the speed he wrote so that i would not have to pay as much and possibly have the option of traffic school instead of getting the point.

Thanks
You can try to fight the ticket. But before you do, try to find out if the fine amount for 70 in a 45 and 80+ in a 45. You were most likely at about 70 (at the least) when the officer estimated your speed. If the fine amount is the same then there probably isn't a very good reason to fight the ticket. I know for a fact that if your defense is "I was speeding but I was only going 65mph!" you're going to lose.

Thank you Sam
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #3535
Azban

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
You can try to fight the ticket. But before you do, try to find out if the fine amount for 70 in a 45 and 80+ in a 45. You were most likely at about 70 (at the least) when the officer estimated your speed. If the fine amount is the same then there probably isn't a very good reason to fight the ticket. I know for a fact that if your defense is "I was speeding but I was only going 65mph!" you're going to lose.
Alright i'll check that out. Thank you
Azban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #3536
jason 77

My Ride: 2001 330xi 5speed
Quote:
I don't think that this would fall under indecent exposure since it's not actually a human part being displayed. But if you're going to put something like this on your car expect to get a ticket for every single little thing you do wrong.

While it might not be illegal to have phallic symbols on your car, they'll draw attention. Not always attention that you want. I think that it's rather disgusting and would write a ticket for everything that I could even if not for the dildo. No one, especially kids, needs or wants to see something like this on a car.
Isn't kind of like those fake balls I see hanging from truck hitches?

Quote:
You can contact your local CHP Office and request a VIN inspection. Once that's done you can register the bike at the DMV.
Great thanks for the info! I will check it out.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #3537
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 77 View Post
Isn't kind of like those fake balls I see hanging from truck hitches?
That can at least be explained as a balloon. A dildo could be a rocket at best!

Thank you Sam
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #3538
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
ok guys hopefully im being paranoid but here goes:

i was on my way to a school meeting and was running a little late so i had to speed a little (50/35) which is pretty normal around here...but as im driving i pass a durango undercover car (who the hell knew?) and got hit by Ka as he drove by (thanks V1). i saw him brake a little but there was a little traffic behind me and he couldnt turn around. now the kicker: this cop comes to my school all the time to hang out with our school officer. im sure he saw my high school tag, my e46 stickers, my cca badge, and probably my plate. is it possible that while hes visiting the school, he comes over and drops off the ticket on my car in the parking lot? or am i just worrying for nothing?

thanks man!

chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #3539
SFR

My Ride: 05 c230k
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
ok guys hopefully im being paranoid but here goes:

i was on my way to a school meeting and was running a little late so i had to speed a little (50/35) which is pretty normal around here...but as im driving i pass a durango undercover car (who the hell knew?) and got hit by Ka as he drove by (thanks V1). i saw him brake a little but there was a little traffic behind me and he couldnt turn around. now the kicker: this cop comes to my school all the time to hang out with our school officer. im sure he saw my high school tag, my e46 stickers, my cca badge, and probably my plate. is it possible that while hes visiting the school, he comes over and drops off the ticket on my car in the parking lot? or am i just worrying for nothing?

thanks man!
i have had something very very similar happen to me and the cop just pulled me out of class and talked to me and tried to scare me also she said she couldnt give me a ticket, but someone also reported me for almost hitting a gandma and doing 80+ in a 35 which was so far from the truth its not even funny. i was doing about 15 over and passed some kids on a side walk... i guess some people dont like being tailgatted.
SFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:06 AM   #3540
SDIREP

My Ride: is played
Im thinking of joining the Police Reserves, can you transfer and eventually become a full-time Officer? Thanks

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa