E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
4 door 330

My Ride: 2001 330i
Question Economical Sound Upgrade, 2 Questions...

First off, I've got an '01 330 Sedan with stock sound, which is no good. I've got a good bit of electronic wiring experience, and I worked as a mechanic for a few years, so installing is not an issue, but I just don't know alot about audio stuff. (IE, where to buy and what is good v. what is crappy)

1) I want to upgrade the speakers, but I don't have $600 to spend on the BSW Stage I Kit. What can I get for $300-$400 that will perform close to that if there is anything? (I would like to retain stock locations, but I plan on keeping the car for a LONG time, so if I have to do a little modification to the door frame it's OK)

2) I've got a line on a good price for the HK Subs that came with premium sound, I know they aren't great, but I'm not big into bass, and they would be better than no subs at all. (...and they look factory because they are) Is this a simple plug-n-play affair, or do I need any harness or amp to make this work?

I've searched the forums for info but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2001 330i 4dr - In the garage.
1986 335is - Sold.
1975 2002 - Sold.
1989 E30 M3 - Sold.
4 door 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
HK or Standard? I THINK we have a single open box Stage 1 here that might be very close to your budget

I assume Standard and Sedan correct?

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Kronk42583

My Ride: 2002 325i
i havent heard the HK system, but i constantly hear that the subs aren't great. also, if you have the regular system, there is no stock location for the HK subs. it really wouldn't be worth the modifications you'd need to make to get them in there.

300-400 bucks is a tough budget. i'd recommend looking on ebay or craigslist for some deals on used equipment. be picky with your brands though as a lot of the used stuff i see for sale is crappy and meant for huge, crappy sounding bass.

if BSW has a cheaper price on an open box setup, then that may be best. if not, then first focus on replacing your front speakers.

i was looking for a cheap system as well. i settled on using a 4channel amp, can be had for $120 i think. replaced my front speakers for $120. and put a 10'' sub in the trunk also powered by the 4 channel. the rear speakers are stock. the sub and box can be had for maybe $150+ used subs might be your best bet for a cheaper price. look for single 10 inch ones. anything else will need too much power. with the additional $20 for an LOC and $40 for a amp wiring kit your looking at around $450+ thats about the cheapest system i can think of thats worth doing. i didn't include the cost of the speaker mounting plate adapter i needed as my speakers didn't match screw holes, plus th minor costs for crimp connectors and speaker wire that i had laying around. i used all alpine parts. R series speakers up front. 70w x 4 amp, and S series 10'' sub. it sounds very good, and the sub will hit pretty hard if you want it to. the sound is accurate, and fills the car. exactly what i was looking for without spending loads of dough. install was pretty easy and i did it all in one afternoon.

i'd imagine my system sounds better than the BSW setup, as i used an aftermarket amp which will get much louder than the stock one, and the bass from the sub is nice. but if your looking for something extremely easy to install the BSW i bet will sound good. the stock speakers really suck, and tend to squeal and sound really bad at higher volumes. any replacement is worth doing.
Kronk42583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:44 AM   #4
dkangman

My Ride: is Hot.
1. HK will have good bass but the sound is not nice and crispy. It will depend on your taste. Some people say it is ok, and some people like me hates it. So don't waste you money (unless it is free) buying that stuff. You will be wasting your time and your money.
2. For the $400 budget, it is going to be a really tight budget. The following is what a good system will cost you:
- 4 Channel Amp - Rockford Fosgate 400W ~ $250
- 2 sets of components speakers for front and rear - $100 each.
- Low Output Converter (LOC) - ~ $25

3. If you change your speakers, you will have to change the amp, and if you change your amps, you will have to change your speakers. The reason is because you will have to match the impedance of both. If you listen to music in moderate volume, then changing your headunit (around $650 for Pioneers without Nav) it will make a difference. But, if you listen to your music at high volume, you will hear some distortion. But I have heard several people say that they are satisfied just changing the head unit.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
4 door 330

My Ride: 2001 330i
Yeah, I' getting a good deal on the HK Subs, and I may change the subs for Open air Kicker 6x9s but I would like to stay with the stock setup there. I don't need alot of bass, but currently there is almost none.

Open box may be a great way to go...I'll have to liook into that.

Other wise I may go for some used a/d/s stuff....I'm looking into alot of different options.

2001 330i 4dr - In the garage.
1986 335is - Sold.
1975 2002 - Sold.
1989 E30 M3 - Sold.
4 door 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
parisnupe

My Ride: 330ci
Hey guys I have a 2002 330ci convertible and I also want to change out my speakers in front and rear. I see that people are sayig that they spent 100 on front and 100 on rear, what kind of speakers are these this inexpensive? This is what I need...and what sizes are the correct fits for front and rear? Thanks for your advice.
parisnupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
roo97ss

My Ride: 135i, x3, Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisnupe View Post
Hey guys I have a 2002 330ci convertible and I also want to change out my speakers in front and rear. I see that people are sayig that they spent 100 on front and 100 on rear, what kind of speakers are these this inexpensive? This is what I need...and what sizes are the correct fits for front and rear? Thanks for your advice.
i've got pioneer components tsd 6.5s in front, 4" 2 ways, you can also fit a 5.25 without major issue, in the rear and a 10" in the ski pass on my vert powered by a kicker 5 ch. amp.

Fronts 100, rears 30, sub 50, amp 225 (refurb ebay), sven4 (line out converter) 25. Total is about 450 and it's a huge improvement in sound. Plenty of sound at 90 with the top down.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
parisnupe

Thanks, let me clarify...6.5 in front with alteration or standard 5.25? Rear 5.25?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
parisnupe

I have already put a amp in because my convertible didn't have a sub installed. So if I already have an amp, when I change the front and rear speakers do I need to do something different?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
parisnupe

What kind of speakers did you purchase? In the past, I bought boston accoutics but they are expensive... I do have a tendency to play my music a little loud so I need something clear at high volumes.