E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

View Poll Results: Which to do
M5 - giving the 323i to my wife 16 42.11%
M3 - giving the 323i to my wife 20 52.63%
323i and X5 - and keeping my 323i 1 2.63%
Or just buy for a Neon and go from there.... 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
Messe46

My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiG3rBa7m View Post
i want a faster bmw... and i love the luxury and comfort of the bmw thats why i have it, but the problem coming is. my wife is wanting to get into tuning. littles things here and there and she wants use to have the same cars. so i was looking for another 323i so we could lower it and put some goodies under the hood. for her that will be fine. then the x5 would come in as the family vehicle. im a person that would rather have a rare car modded then a common car. even if the price tag is alittle high. the m5 or m3 would be nice but its not all about me anymore... and i hate to say it. but its true. and i could spend 15k on the car i have now and she wouldnt be mad at me. but if i bought another bmw like the m3 and gave her my hand me down car. she would be pissed. call it ***** wiped i dont care. but i would love more to put up in a 323i with 300hp then a m3 already there and ppl know it. then crusing in GA and going to the car meets and have both bmws. mine and hers. with mods and looking great. means more to me. i can get my bmw up and running there just gonna take alittle bit more time. but more respect from the car and the work will be given when its done. then just having a fast car to begin with. like the m3. anyone can go and get a m3 and have a fast car. its the true car lover to make what he got fast and nice.... i was just seeing what opinions i would get and see if there was anyone here to maybe change my mind and my girls but... not looking at the m3 or m5 now... would rather put my money in th e323i. and maybe then a swap... its all about the work and time you put in your car that matters to me... thanks peeps
If that's the case, one thing that a large portion of people do to their cars is make them faster without making sure they can stop. I talking about tuning in general (american, euro's, ricers, etc.) and not really just changing the chip, intake, exhaust, etc (little stuff; a few horse power here or there). But rather putting twin turbos or twin screw on. I would have to say, from going to BMW performance driving school, the biggest thing I learned was that a car can have a 0-60 of 4sec but if it can't stop, it's useless!

So, since you want to do the "his' and her's" thing (and I do like that) and maybe make it a 300hp+ machine...definitely consider upgrading the brakes first or at the same time!!

Good luck with everything; you'll figure out what works best!

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe46 View Post
If that's the case, one thing that a large portion of people do to their cars is make them faster without making sure they can stop. I talking about tuning in general (american, euro's, ricers, etc.) and not really just changing the chip, intake, exhaust, etc (little stuff; a few horse power here or there). But rather putting twin turbos or twin screw on. I would have to say, from going to BMW performance driving school, the biggest thing I learned was that a car can have a 0-60 of 4sec but if it can't stop, it's useless!

So, since you want to do the "his' and her's" thing (and I do like that) and maybe make it a 300hp+ machine...definitely consider upgrading the brakes first or at the same time!!

Good luck with everything; you'll figure out what works best!
A further step would be to make sure that a proper suspension system is also used, as a proper suspension system facilitates strong braking. The suspension controls the car while the brakes slow it down. When people want to lower their track times, the easiest way is to get a suspension system. I'm talking about matched shocks and springs or a coilover setup.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #23
Superhiro

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP
Sell your 323 and get the M3 and X5, you'll be happy You'll get the speed you want for yourself and the family car for the wife!

Oh and a big ol +1 about maintenance costs.... a lot of people think they can "afford" a car because they can make the monthly payment or even buy it outright, but the associated costs (maintenance, insurance etc.) will be much greater as well.

As far as X5's go there are MANY well known issues that can cost you quite a bit of money to fix. Read up on X5world.com to get some ideas of what to look out for when purchasing an X5.

Also do yourself a favor and call your insurance company prior to making a purchase and get some insurance quotes as well.

Lastly, having his and hers BMW's is nice

Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #24
TiG3rBa7m

My Ride: looking
yea i thought about getting the m3 or m5 and then the x5 but my wife wants a car too... so owell we are talking it out

91 240sx w/ RB20
TiG3rBa7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
Superhiro

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP
Ummm an X5 is a car haha do this, have her test drive an X5 to see if she likes it as a DD. If not, you guys can always take turns with the cars. You'll enjoy driving the X5 too, esp if it's a 4.4 or 4.8
Old 04-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #26
mirob

My Ride: E46 M3
I was facing this same issue when I was upgrading from my e36 m3...i drove 3 cars m3 6-speed, m3 smg and an m5...between the two manual cars id pick the m5, but i just fell in love with the smg and got the m3...hope this helps...
mirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #27
TiG3rBa7m

My Ride: looking
the x5 is an suv

91 240sx w/ RB20
TiG3rBa7m is offline   Reply With Quote