E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
ocbasbalburg

My Ride: 2002 325CI
DSC + Brake lights

I just changed my thermostat this weekend due to a service engine soon light which went away after I was finished. I drove the car around for two days without issue.

After work today I got in my car and as soon as I turned the ignition I got a lovely beep sound and more lights! Now my DSC and brake light are both on (yellow). I read in my manual that the DSC could have been switched off or there is a system malfunction. I tried to turn it back on (by pushing the dsc button slightly) even though I never turned it off and the lights did not go away. The book says that my car will remain completely operational, but I don't want to see any more lights and I certainly don't want my car to beep at me every time I start it up.

Is there anything I can do easily and inexpensively (I just bought the car a month ago and I have had to put over a hundred so far for the thermostat and I am going to get the tranny reflash done soon since my car downshifts harshly which is another 150). I wanted to spend this money on things for my car, not repairs!
ocbasbalburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
It sounds like something in your dsc has gone. Both traction control (the brake light) and the rollover (dsc light) are on. In my car, the traction control is done, and has been for years. I decided one fateful evening of stupidity that off-roading in an open field would be a great call. Ever since, dsc has worked, but the traction control, which has to have dsc off to turn itself off, jerks the car mercilessly. The dsc system is great, it'll save your ass, but I'm the kind of person that had it off all the time anyway. So I haven't fixed it. Mine, unlike yours, doesn't go off until turned off. Tischer-bmw can get you the parts you need should there be a repair necessary. It isn't your wheel speed sensors, btw, that would also bring up the ABS light. It's likely the control unit or something very small and easy, ie a connector. There's also a service for rebuilding the dsc control module. I forget who does that.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
skilletdog

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbasbalburg View Post
I just changed my thermostat this weekend due to a service engine soon light which went away after I was finished. I drove the car around for two days without issue.

After work today I got in my car and as soon as I turned the ignition I got a lovely beep sound and more lights! Now my DSC and brake light are both on (yellow). I read in my manual that the DSC could have been switched off or there is a system malfunction. I tried to turn it back on (by pushing the dsc button slightly) even though I never turned it off and the lights did not go away. The book says that my car will remain completely operational, but I don't want to see any more lights and I certainly don't want my car to beep at me every time I start it up.

Is there anything I can do easily and inexpensively (I just bought the car a month ago and I have had to put over a hundred so far for the thermostat and I am going to get the tranny reflash done soon since my car downshifts harshly which is another 150). I wanted to spend this money on things for my car, not repairs!
mine was doing great then one day riding down the road i heard a beep,,,the dsc/abs/ and brake lights all came on..they go and come,,right now there are no lights on...i took it to 2 independent shops that had machines that could read into the abs system and both said the abs control module needed to be repaired,,one shop wants $760.00,,the other $1100.00,,,bmw dealership said they would do it fot $1200.00 and replace it with a new init not a rebuild of my unit,,another independent shop also told me it would cost $2300.00,,,,i'm loke you friend,,,i like putting money into my ride for custom stuff i want but i have a problem giving my hard earned money away to some rip off bmw shops,,,..i've tested my wheel speed sensors and brake sensors the best i could myself but the meter i was using was not real trustworthy,,i'm praying that whatever is happening on my lights finally happens for good and the lights either stay on so i can truly see whether a speed sensor is bad or that the lights decide not to ever come back on,,,be careful where you take it to get it diagnosed,,there are rinky dink shops out there just waiting to take your hard earned cash from you,,,the wheel speed sensors are about 100 bucks each and you have 4 of them(1 per wheel) and you also have 2 brake pad wear sensors,,(about 15 bucks each)
skilletdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
ocbasbalburg

My Ride: 2002 325CI
I'm not going to be putting that much money into the dsc right now, so I am hoping that it is a sensor somewhere. I never drove my car hard and it just randomly came on once I backed out of a parking spot. It seems to have come on every time I drive the car now. I'm wondering if something could have came loose while changing the thermostat. Any one have any good ways of testing this and all sensors? I did read that the wheel speed sensor probably isn't the problem due to the lack of the ABS light and that it may be the steering angle sensor due to the two lights and no abs light. How many steering angle sensors are there and is there a good way to check these? I am going to check the brake fluid just for giggles.
ocbasbalburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
bigwen1

My Ride: BMW 2000 328I w/SP
Send a message via MSN to bigwen1 Send a message via Yahoo to bigwen1 Send a message via Skype™ to bigwen1
Cool bigwen

This is the issue i have right now. I will post and let everyone know what arm and leg they take.