E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #21
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
hmm have you tried fitting the lsd internals into the e46 diff?

*edit nvm* TxZHP04 just cleared that up. sorry. its been a long time since i've been on this threaad.

hey good try though man. a lot of props just because you are out there trying different shiet!

Last edited by SL Blak Soldier; 03-25-2009 at 12:45 AM.
SL Blak Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #22
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
thanks bro i guess all of it was riding on whether the subframe would bolt up. some good news for me i guess; i found someone with an e36 that wants to buy the LSD from me haha. that way i won't have the diff just sitting here in my house.

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #23
cancell

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to cancell Send a message via MSN to cancell
There's a damaged e36 m3 differential at my cousin's shop that was replaced yesterday. I did my diff bushings last week. The mounting positions are different in the rear... they have two horizontal bushings in the rear with bolts that are parallel with the centerline of the vehicle. E46 non-m has a single bushing in the rear that runs perpendicular to the centerline of the vehicle.

As far as the internals are concerned: if anyone has an e46 diff they're willing to donate to the cause... I can prob pick up the e36 m3 diff for free. I'm checking with my cousin to see if they're going to scrap it or not.

The lesser we know...the more they fabricate...the easier it is to sell souls
There is a new price on freedom, so buy into it while supplies last.
We've unified over who to kill, so until I find more relevant scripture to quote...
remember, our god is bigger, stronger, smarter, and much wealthier.
So wave those flags with pride... It's the makeshift patriot.
cancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
osj911

My Ride: ZHP(gone); 996 Turbo
Send a message via AIM to osj911
You know you can do an e46 m3 rear swap. If you take the time to search it can be done for $1000 or less. I'm in the process of trying to finalize my project. Its a direct bolt up. You need the e46 m3 subframe, driveshaft, axles, and diff and thats it.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #25
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
I know that the E36 internals won't fit into an E46. My car was the first E46 LSD that Jim Blanton did back in 2000. At the time, World Challenge racers were heavily modifying the rear of the car to stick in an E36 diff. For Motorola Cup (which is Koni Challenge today), it was not allowed to try to fit an E36 diff in it. So, Jim found a LSD carrier and machined the case to make it fit. So, if Jim couldn't get a E36 carrier in there, it probably wouldn't fit.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #26
cancell

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to cancell Send a message via MSN to cancell
Damn, well scratch that. If it were anyone else, I'd probably tell you to "screw off" but I know you're a seasoned racer/builder.

Thanks for the info

The lesser we know...the more they fabricate...the easier it is to sell souls
There is a new price on freedom, so buy into it while supplies last.
We've unified over who to kill, so until I find more relevant scripture to quote...
remember, our god is bigger, stronger, smarter, and much wealthier.
So wave those flags with pride... It's the makeshift patriot.
cancell is offline   Reply With Quote