E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #21
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

You're right guys.... I should have known better! Here is a pick from the day I picked her up:

It looks like a standard AR but as mentioned it's a Bushmaster "post ban" carbine. The assault weapons ban is still in effect here in NY state but with some minor changes to a standard AR we can get around the ban.

An "assault weapon" is defined as (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following evil features: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher.

This rifle has a pistol grip so there's my one evil feature. Then Bushmaster shaves off the bayonet lug, "pins" or "permanently fixes" the telescoping stock in the full open position (it is no longer adjustable), and welds on a muzzle break instead of screwing on a flash suppressor. At first glance a muzzle break looks like a flash suppressor but it's quite different. The muzzle break is intended to reduce recoil without impeding the flash. These changes make the rifle New York legal.

One other important note, magazine capacity in NY is restricted to 10rounds max. Hence the tiny mag that ships with this rifle. But there are ways around that also. If you can find 30rd mags that were produced before 1994 when the AWB was enacted then they are legal to possess.

Of course I managed to find some.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #22
BeRzErKaS

Here how she stands at the moment:

That last one is some of the work I put in at 50yds with iron sights.

Last edited by BeRzErKaS; 04-18-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #23
TheCarLessDriven

My Ride: 330
Fuk that is sick I want one just like that.

"SGC > than your general chat"
TheCarLessDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 AM   #24
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
nice
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #25
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
<----- Jealous.

If you don't mind me asking... how much has your $etup (rifle, case, mods, shipping, cleaning kit, avg box of ammo qty and price, etc.) put you back?

Verrry interested,
-Chris
Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 AM   #26
TheCarLessDriven

same ^

Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #27
Grunt

My Ride: M3, X3 and a Jeep
Are flattops illegal where your at? Not to be a stupid question, but these freaking days I don't know who can "legally" own what.
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #28
steel_03

My Ride: 2001 Lotus Esprit
That's an awesome setup... Are you planning on getting a scope?

I was actually at the range yesterday... I have a Sig556, and an HK45. Let's just make this a range / weapon thread (Sorry to hijack... Love weapons).

This was my first time shooting a rifle (different day)... Shot with iron sights before I got my ACOG.

Last edited by steel_03; 04-19-2009 at 06:42 AM.
steel_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #29
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
^^Very nice, I'm trying to find myself a decently priced Sig 556 Classic. No hurry though, I've got my CMMG middy to fall back on!
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #30
steel_03

Try www.gunbroker.com
Old 04-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #31
BeRzErKaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i View Post
<----- Jealous.

If you don't mind me asking... how much has your $etup (rifle, case, mods, shipping, cleaning kit, avg box of ammo qty and price, etc.) put you back?

Verrry interested,
-Chris
Price is worth discussing even if only to help you guys in free states appreciate how good you have it.

I'm sure someone in a non-BAN state could duplicate this setup for under 2k. I'm a few bucks over that thanks to the "pay-to-play premium" we have to deal with here. We pay pretty much 2-3x what you guys in free states might pay. And I still have to put together an optics package.

Some guys can build ARs dripping with evil features for $800-1k. MSRP on this rifle is $1300, if you're willing to sit on a waiting list for 3 months you can pick them up locally for $14-1600. The guy had this one on the shelf for $1800. Ridiculous. Alternately he was offering a used/repaired colt AR for $1770 (unthreaded barrel, A2 stock, fixed carry handle). Ridiculous. Long story short, we came to a mutually reasonable agreement somewhere between $1400 and $1770.

Factor in ammo, mods, shooting gear and it can get expensive. But I look at this as my new hobby. And like car modding, you're either going to do it, or you're not. And you do it for personal enjoyment, not to make anyone else happy. In that regard, it's money well spent, in my opinion.

The great thing about ARs though is that they have high and low end versions of pretty much everything from hardware, to optics, to ammo. In that way they are far more customizable than say....an e46.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #32
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Chris, hit me up if you're looking for some help setting up an AR buddy!
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #33
BeRzErKaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_03 View Post
That's an awesome setup... Are you planning on getting a scope?

I was actually at the range yesterday... I have a Sig556, and an HK45. Let's just make this a range / weapon thread (Sorry to hijack... Love weapons).

This was my first time shooting a rifle (different day)... Shot with iron sights before I got my ACOG.

I've wanted a SIG for like 10 years now, ever since the 550 which wasn't available in the US. The 556 classic swat is very near the top of my dream gun list.

How do you like that ACOG? What magnification did you go with?

My only issue with ACOG is the lack of variable magnification. For that reason I'm sort of leaning towards the Leupold CQ/T but I'm still on the fence.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #34
TheCarLessDriven

Oh damn, I just realized that bi-pod closes and the legs go up into, becoming a forward grip, correct?? That is so fukin sexy

Old 04-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #35
TheCarLessDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
Price is worth discussing even if only to help you guys in free states appreciate how good you have it.

I'm sure someone in a non-BAN state could duplicate this setup for under 2k. I'm a few bucks over that thanks to the "pay-to-play premium" we have to deal with here. We pay pretty much 2-3x what you guys in free states might pay. And I still have to put together an optics package.

Some guys can build ARs dripping with evil features for $800-1k. MSRP on this rifle is $1300, if you're willing to sit on a waiting list for 3 months you can pick them up locally for $14-1600. The guy had this one on the shelf for $1800. Ridiculous. Alternately he was offering a used/repaired colt AR for $1770 (unthreaded barrel, A2 stock, fixed carry handle). Ridiculous. Long story short, we came to a mutually reasonable agreement somewhere between $1400 and $1770.

Factor in ammo, mods, shooting gear and it can get expensive. But I look at this as my new hobby. And like car modding, you're either going to do it, or you're not. And you do it for personal enjoyment, not to make anyone else happy. In that regard, it's money well spent, in my opinion.

The great thing about ARs though is that they have high and low end versions of pretty much everything from hardware, to optics, to ammo. In that way they are far more customizable than say....an e46.

Damn, a lot more affordable than I was thinking. Fuk im gonna start saving. I'll be 21 in August lol.

Last edited by TheCarLessDriven; 04-19-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #36
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
In before Allure starts b!tching.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #37
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
Nice thread guys! AR's are awesome. Nice pic btw Steel 03

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #38
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
In before Allure starts b!tching.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #39
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
I'm an American, so I should own one.
nikkeiS2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #40
steel_03

I went with an ACOG to go with the type of weapon that it is... Magnification is only x3 which is totally fine... The longest range nearest me is a 200 yard range.

Leupold is a great scope, but for me a waste since I don't have enough land or nearby ranges to use it to its potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post

I've wanted a SIG for like 10 years now, ever since the 550 which wasn't available in the US. The 556 classic swat is very near the top of my dream gun list.

How do you like that ACOG? What magnification did you go with?

My only issue with ACOG is the lack of variable magnification. For that reason I'm sort of leaning towards the Leupold CQ/T but I'm still on the fence.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by learthworml View Post
Nice thread guys! AR's are awesome. Nice pic btw Steel 03