E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance
Everything to make your car faster! Air intakes, superchargers, turbos, flywheel & clutch, differentials, chips, short shift kits, exhausts, etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
///M3///M5

My Ride: 99 M3
FS: M54 3.0l Full Engine and accessories

This is a full M54 3.0l from a 330i. It is fully accessorized (all ancillaries, intake manifold, engine harness, MS43 DME, etc).

The block has had the bolt holes stripped out. Very common issue on the M54. The common fix is to thread cert.

I am willing to sell as a long block, short block, full motor, or begin parting out.

They seem to go on ebay for around $3,000 to $3,500 non-rebuilt, right out of a car. I am asking only $2,000 plus shipping/freight for everything.

Email or PM for more details or inquires. Open to offers also.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
lafabritto325ci

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i
ok. im interested in this. im just confused with the issue of the bolt holes... can you link me to a thread explaining this??

thank you
Old 04-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
///M3///M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafabritto325ci View Post
ok. im interested in this. im just confused with the issue of the bolt holes... can you link me to a thread explaining this??

thank you
The motor was over-heated. When this occurs, it is common for the bolt holes for the head bolts to strip out on the block. The head has been checked. The only thing the motor needs for reinstall is to be taken to a machine shop and have the head bolt threads thread-certed. There is actually a BMW tool to have this done.

If you go here:

Baum Tools

Download the BMW catalog and look at page 3; you will see tool B115000.

Last edited by ///M3///M5; 04-30-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: grammar
///M3///M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
lafabritto325ci

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i
ok ill knkow what im doing for sure with the car by the end of the month. so im going to tlk to my mechanic and if he gives me a thumbs up, then i might snatch this from you... because i money shifted mine.. cracked 3 pistons and bent most valves.. so im in need of a new motor.. but im not sure what im doing yet, ill let you knoe
Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
///M3///M5

OK. Let me know. I am somewhat flexable on price and will pull ancillaries off that you do not need. The cost of fixing this will not be bad and I have a HG for it too.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
Uhm, not to rain on anyone's aprade here... but an M54 overheated to the point of stripping the head bolts out is done. Bes tot part it out in that this case. You can do a time cert repair, but the metal around the threads could be stressedd to the point that it'll just fail again in the future. The head is probably warped as well.

Last edited by Len013091; 04-30-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
///M3///M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len013091 View Post
Uhm, not to rain on anyone's aprade here... but an M54 overheated to the point of stripping the head bolts out is done. Bes tot part it out in that this case. You can do a time cert repair, but the metal around the threads could be stressedd to the point that it'll just fail again in the future. The head is probably warped as well.
Well thanks.

The head is verified true. The stripping happened to a FEW bolts holes upon reassembly, not like it stripped while the car overheated. This is a VERY common issue and is why such tools even exist. Thread certing a motor should have not long term affects as long as it is properly done. It is done on race motors and FI builds all the time to take the additional strain from additional load on the fasteners.