E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
XscoreX

My Ride: the dirt devil
Send a message via AIM to XscoreX
cleaning wheels with acid!

Ok so i was at the tire place and having the tires taken off of my 19"s I had this awesome plan of cleaning them and having them refinished and getting them straight, well the tire guy told me to get them good & clean that I should find someone in HVAC and that they have an acid cleaner that they use to clean the gunk out of air conditioner units. He said this stuff wil get all the brake dust & everything out like magic, he also said that it wouldnt mess up the clear coat. i am skeptical. has anyone done this? what are the pro's tips on getting a wheel clean enough to eat off of. I was thinking first step would be to buy a kiddie pool from wal mart, fill it with soap & dishwashing detergent like palmolive and letting them soak for a day. then get in there and go nuts with a scrub brush. these rims are pretty dirty, then use a pressure washer and then use some metal polish and a buffing cloth on a drill to get them super shiny.

anyone want to share their experiences or tips?

XscoreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
i'd use a cat litter pan, and tons of Simple Green.

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.
beingdevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Acid does do crazy work on brake baked wheels. It's a bit strong on certain wheels and may stain, so make sure to dilute it, or buy a rim cleaner from you local store which is probably mainly acid. It'll also take the yellow from the rotors off you wheel if you have it.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
I would not use air handler coil cleaner on rims. That stuff is pretty strong.

Buy you some AWESOME from the dollar store.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
They sell a few different wheel cleaners that already have acids in them that work surprisingly well, just check the labels. I can't think of the name off of the top of my head but duragloss makes a very good one. The only spray bottle wheel cleaners that will take all of that caked on brake dust off have acid in them, so your buddy might be onto something. If your eyes dont burn 30 seconds after spraying it then its not gonna clean your wheels. I also use a little bit of laquer thinner on a paper towel for the small spots that just dont seem to come off. Make sure your wheel is WET when you do this, and DO NOT RUB, gently swipe over the area until its gone, then rinse the entire wheel off really well. Laquer thinner WILL take the clear coat off! Its very dangerous stuff so if you decide to use it PLEASE BE CAREFUL.
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
^ He knows his stuff, if you have a powerwasher at home too, you're golden!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
XscoreX

cool thanks for the tips, so I can get this duragloss stuff at autozone right or oreilleys or anyplace like that right?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
i would find a professional detailing supply store. Every mid-large city has them. They usually have a bunch of different cleaners that work wayy better than what you can buy from autozone. My local shop offers "acid wheel cleaner" specifically, but they recommend only using it on wire wheels (old cadillac hubcaps) or chrome wheels. He said there are a few customers that use it on clearcoat/powdercoat wheels but they spray it on and wash it off quickly. Most importantly, make sure the wheel is cool and not in direct sunlight. Harsh brake cleaner will ruin nice wheels if used while hot!
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
XscoreX

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
i would find a professional detailing supply store. Every mid-large city has them. They usually have a bunch of different cleaners that work wayy better than what you can buy from autozone. My local shop offers "acid wheel cleaner" specifically, but they recommend only using it on wire wheels (old cadillac hubcaps) or chrome wheels. He said there are a few customers that use it on clearcoat/powdercoat wheels but they spray it on and wash it off quickly. Most importantly, make sure the wheel is cool and not in direct sunlight. Harsh brake cleaner will ruin nice wheels if used while hot!
thats a great tip, I think i know exactly where a little store like that is. Ill go check them out and see if they can recommend me something.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
nads12345
Account Under Review

My Ride: 03 325xiA
best way to get EVERYTHING off is a bar of clay, detailer spray, and a sh!t load of time. results are great. just get some rid-x to seal the deal so that grime takes longer to build up.
nads12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Mmmm

I got some Mother's wheel cleaner spray. It smells exactly like the coil-cleaner stuff for a/c evaporators/condensers I used to use.

I use it at the spray car wash. Problem is, without taking off the wheels, a lot of stuff you can't see also gets dissolved and even when well rinsed, the gunk seeps out and looks nasty. The Mother's stuff works well otherwise.

OEM pads are just too soft/dusty!