E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Bullet187

My Ride: 325ci convertible!!
power steering issue! searched... just want clarification from the experts!!

Hi Peeps, quick question....
basically my 325cic's steering has been really heavy over the last week or so... its ok when at moving at relatively high speeds, but seems to be really stiff at returning to a center position by itself...at slow or stand stills its really heavy to move and takes a fair bit of effort.

It doesnt make any groans or anything when moving the wheel and the fluid and belts have been checked over and seem fine. the only thing i have noticed is that at idle it makes a really faint whine and when you move the wheel slightly, the rpm drops slightly and the whine goes away until you release the steering wheel again.

the car is at 77k miles. i have had the control arms and bushes changed out as well, am i right in assuming it is the power steering pump?..
anyone else experience anything similar?!..
any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited by Bullet187; 05-04-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Bullet187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Bullet187

anyone!?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Raine

My Ride: e39
Sounds like your power steering bit the bullet (pun intended)
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
The shaft probably broke in your pump. Sounds like you need a new one.

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Bullet187

ok.... thanks for the replies... is there any sure-fire way of testing the pump to confirm this? any specific thing other then the heavy steering that a failed pump would do/give away?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
mav909

My Ride: Rx8 231
Send a message via MSN to mav909
crap, at idle my revs drop when i turn the wheel, they pick back up strait away though! my steerings fairly heavy but nothing compared to my other car that has no power steering, so i dont notice it that much, does that mean i need a new pump too.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet187 View Post
Hi Peeps, quick question....
basically my 325cic's steering has been really heavy over the last week or so... its ok when at moving at relatively high speeds, but seems to be really stiff at returning to a center position by itself...at slow or stand stills its really heavy to move and takes a fair bit of effort.

It doesnt make any groans or anything when moving the wheel and the fluid and belts have been checked over and seem fine. the only thing i have noticed is that at idle it makes a really faint whine and when you move the wheel slightly, the rpm drops slightly and the whine goes away until you release the steering wheel again.

the car is at 77k miles. i have had the control arms and bushes changed out as well, am i right in assuming it is the power steering pump?..
anyone else experience anything similar?!..
any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
You've got 2 different symptoms here.
Having suspension work done your steering may seem heavier. Check your tyre pressures and steering fluid level.

If the "at idle it makes a really faint whine and when you move the wheel slightly, the rpm drops slightly and the whine goes away" is a new symptom it could be indicative of your PS pump having to do more work due to new tighter suspension parts.

This noise, whilst faint, can last for many months and doesn't indicate imminent failure.
If the noise suddenly gets noticeably louder, more intrusive and prevalent, a loud whine that happens all the time all the time at idle which you can make go away momentarily by moving the steering wheel in a certain way it is indicative of imminent PS pump failure, I'd say you have days or a week or two before it fails.

When it fails you will know. My last 325Ci broke a spindle. Externally you cannot tell, all belts and pulleys look ok but there's no power assistance to the rack. As a consequence when steering you have to provide enough force to turn both the wheels and hydraulic filled rack. It will be heavier than any steering you're ever experienced and requires real muscle-building effort. (Try turning your wheels with your engine off, now imagine when driving the resistance feels just the same). Feels extremely "solid" and "planted" in a straight line though, lol.
I had to drive mine for a couple of journeys like this until I was able to get it fixed. Taking tight corners requires advance planning and parking in small spaces will be impossible.

Last edited by tony325ci_51; 05-04-2009 at 02:22 PM.
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
mav909

My Ride: Rx8 231
Send a message via MSN to mav909
i havnt noticed a whine, how loud would it be? and i havnt had any suspension work done and my revs drop a little, my tires are at 33psi.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Bullet187

so when you changed yours out, firstly did you get the same whine at idle? was there any lasting damage from the journeys you done in the mean time? was it just the pump you changed out and problem solved!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
You've got 2 different symptoms here.
Having suspension work done your steering may seem heavier. Check your tyre pressures and steering fluid level.

If the "at idle it makes a really faint whine and when you move the wheel slightly, the rpm drops slightly and the whine goes away" is a new symptom it could be indicative of your PS pump having to do more work due to new tighter suspension parts.

This noise, whilst faint, can last for many months and doesn't indicate imminent failure.
If the noise suddenly gets noticeably louder, more intrusive and prevalent, a loud whine that happens all the time all the time at idle which you can make go away momentarily by moving the steering wheel in a certain way it is indicative of imminent PS pump failure, I'd say you have days or a week or two before it fails.

When it fails you will know. My last 325Ci broke a spindle. Externally you cannot tell, all belts and pulleys look ok but there's no power assistance to the rack. As a consequence when steering you have to provide enough force to turn both the wheels and hydraulic filled rack. It will be heavier than any steering you're ever experienced and requires real muscle-building effort. (Try turning your wheels with your engine off, now imagine when driving the resistance feels just the same). Feels extremely "solid" and "planted" in a straight line though, lol.
I had to drive mine for a couple of journeys like this until I was able to get it fixed. Taking tight corners requires advance planning and parking in small spaces will be impossible.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
Bullet187

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav909 View Post
i havnt noticed a whine, how loud would it be? and i havnt had any suspension work done and my revs drop a little, my tires are at 33psi.
the whine i have is very quiet... not like anything i have heard in video's from other peoples power steering pump going, but it is definately there and does go with the wheel being turned. but theres no loud whines or groaning noises yet.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav909 View Post
Imminent pump failure whine is very noticeable, intrusive and definitely not normal. You'd know something's wrong. A quiet whine and drop of revs is almost normal, particularly in a car a few years old. Check PS fluid level or maybe change fluid?

Quote:
so when you changed yours out, firstly did you get the same whine at idle? was there any lasting damage from the journeys you done in the mean time? was it just the pump you changed out and problem solved!?
Yes, very loud whine at idle, which you could change the pitch of by moving the steering wheel, a few days before pump failed. No lasting damage caused by driving (though remember I didn't have any leaks so the rack remained full of fluid at all times). Just changed pump to fix problem (it's documented on a thread here about 3 years ago somewhere).

Quote:
the whine i have is very quiet... not like anything i have heard in video's from other peoples power steering pump going, but it is definately there and does go with the wheel being turned. but theres no loud whines or groaning noises yet.
I wouldn't worry about it, pump could last for years, maybe check the belts and pulleys and check PS fluid is topped up ok or change fluid.

Last edited by tony325ci_51; 05-04-2009 at 05:24 PM.
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Bullet187

Nice one tony! Appreciate the help