E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
dono2006

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan
brakes, hubs, still noise?

hi all,

let me start by saying that i have searched the forum and it seems like my front rims or tires are the problem. however i felt that i needed to run this scenario by you all anyway and get any input i can before i go spend more $$ that i don't have.

car is a 2001 325i sedan. 115kmi. i've had what i thought was a bad front wheel bearing making noise at low speeds and especially during braking (both sides but more noise on the right).

over the last two weekends i have done the following:

air filter
cabin filter
oil & filter (mobile 1)
power steering flush
brake flush
zimmerman cross-drilled rotors up front
PBR Ultimate ceramic pads up front
Meyle Platinum rotors rear
Akebono pads rear
new wear sensors front and rear
new left and right wheel hubs up front
checked tire pressure (it was a tad high in front and a tad low in the rear but only by 5lbs or so - fixed that)

after all of this, i still have the noise. i know that this really just leaves the tire/rim as the only possible culprit, (correct?), but where i am at a loss here is that the tires still have a lot of tread on them, and i didn't have the noise for the life of the tires, only in the last couple of months. also i have the same tires on the rear and no noise. on top of that, in my past experience with tire noise it's been at higher speeds, while this only manifests (or is audible) at lower speeds and during braking.

i do know that i need to replace the control arm bushings with the updated part - i already have the parts and plan to do that this coming weekend - could this have anything to do with what is going on?

thanks in advance for all replies, tips, or tricks here!

-d
dono2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
why would you put different rotors and pads from front to rear????????
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
dono2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
why would you put different rotors and pads from front to rear????????
long story - wasn't my intention at first, availability and timing. nontheless this has no bearing on my issue, nor is there any real reason that i know of why this would be a problem.

-d
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
n2Bimmer

As far as noise no but for performance yes. Anyways, can you describe the noise.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
dono2006

Quote:
As far as noise no but for performance yes. Anyways, can you describe the noise.
yes, the noise is like a groaning, low pitch, really does sound like a wheel bearing, rises in volume as car slows/brakes. from both fronts but more from the right.

-d
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dono2006 View Post
yes, the noise is like a groaning, low pitch, really does sound like a wheel bearing, rises in volume as car slows/brakes. from both fronts but more from the right.

-d
Rises in volume when car slowes???. Okay thats not a wheel bearing, thats your brakes/rotors. You may have a warped rotor. I had a issue similar, I had just got brand new UUC rotors and the rear rotors warped the next day. While i was driving they made a squeking chirping sound, even while braking. UUC sent me new rotors, all problems solved.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
dono2006

Quote:
Rises in volume when car slowes???. Okay thats not a wheel bearing, thats your brakes/rotors. You may have a warped rotor. I had a issue similar, I had just got brand new UUC rotors and the rear rotors warped the next day. While i was driving they made a squeking chirping sound, even while braking. UUC sent me new rotors, all problems solved.
hmmmm...food for thought for sure - however i had the sound BEFORE i changed the rotors/pads, and also AFTER. so the next weekend i did the hubs - no change. hard to believe the new rotors were bad, and also bad in exactly the same way the old ones were? (same sound). or that the hubs would be bad, and also bad in exactly the same way with the same sound too? very frustrating. i hate taking the car to the shop but perhaps i will have to!

thanks,

-d
Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
n2Bimmer

ya man, youll have to take it to the shop. You got me scratching my head on this one. Maybe you got a sticky caliper dude.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
dono2006

Quote:
ya man, youll have to take it to the shop. You got me scratching my head on this one. Maybe you got a sticky caliper dude.
the sticky caliper thing might be right on i think. i'm going to try lubricating them - do you know what kind of grease/lube to use on the calipers?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dono2006 View Post
the sticky caliper thing might be right on i think. i'm going to try lubricating them - do you know what kind of grease/lube to use on the calipers?
Caliper greese. When i did my Brake change, i applied the greese on the out
O ring on the outside of the piston because you cant remove the piston and its a pain in the ass, youll have to remove the entire caliper, then fluid comes out etc etc. So just try that first. Lube all the moving parts on the caliper and see what happens. If you need new calipers Bmaparts.com sells them rebuilt at 39 dollars. They are in Glendale too.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
dono2006

Quote:
Caliper greese. When i did my Brake change, i applied the greese on the out
O ring on the outside of the piston because you cant remove the piston and its a pain in the ass, youll have to remove the entire caliper, then fluid comes out etc etc. So just try that first. Lube all the moving parts on the caliper and see what happens. If you need new calipers Bmaparts.com sells them rebuilt at 39 dollars. They are in Glendale too.
awesome - thanks man! i'm also going to get a new torque wrench tonight (old one died a couple weeks ago) and check the torque on the caliper, carrier, and lugs, since i tightened everything "by feel" this time - i am thinking perhaps if i over or under-tightened something in there it might be contributing to the noise.

-d