E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
timsters330i

My Ride: E46
Unhappy Beyern Mesh caliper clearance?

I have a 2002 330i sedan. I recently put on Beyern Mesh 255/35/18's on rear (9.5), and 225/40/18's on front (8.5). The offset on rears is 45. I noticed when I mounted them that the clearance between the inside of the rear wheel and the brake caliper is REALLY close. Like a sheet of paper might fit sort of thing. But it doesn't actually touch. It occurs to me now a month later as I'm getting close to having to put new rear brake pads on that the caliper might shift outboard a bit, given the thicker (new) pads. Is my suspicion correct? If the caliper moves outboard it will likely interfere with the wheel, no?

Has anyone else experienced this? Here I thought going the Beyern route would minimize fitment issues given they're made for BMW's. But not sure now?
timsters330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
N330ci

My Ride: e92 M3
I've got the bayern mesh 19's (8.5 front 9.5 rear) on my coupe. I agree the caliper is very close in the rear, but doesnt touch at all. I've had mine for six months and just put new pads on a few weeks ago with no problems at all.

Last edited by N330ci; 11-23-2008 at 12:38 PM.
N330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
timsters330i

Thanks for the info N330ci. Good to know.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I found at least 3 people have the exact issue you refer to with the Beyern Mesh and their 330's. So it seems that it could be a potential problem. It's the reason I ruled the wheel out even though it had made m shortlist. The quotes are below.

---------------------

"I used to have the Beyern Mesh on my old 330ci (traded in for a M3). But anyways, it all fits well at the beginning. However, when I went to the dealer to have my brake pads changed, the rear rim won't clear the calibers anymore. Seems like the new brake pads are thicker than the old OEM ones.... Anyone experience similar?" - Nov. 2006

"I have just bought a set of Beyern mesh wheels for my E46 330 and the spokes rub on the rear caliper, this is only an issue with the 330 models and Beyern are very upset to say the least. I am now going through the procedure of fitting 3mm spacers or maybe machining 3mm off the outer brake pad for clearance. So much for Research and development." - Feb. 2007

"Dave, I bought my Beyern wheels 6 months after your post and this issue was never mentioned to me. At the time my brakes allowed them to fit and no one questioned it. I just had new brakes/rotors installed and now they hit. Who confirmed for you that this was a known issue within Beyern/TSW? Also, what did you end up doing to resolve the issue (spacers, etc.), and how well has that worked for you? Thanks ... Clint" - Feb. 2009 (refers to the Feb 2007 quote, so bought his wheels Aug. 2007).
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
I have the Mesh's in 18's on my 330. With new pads the wheels WILL rub on the caliper. My fix? I took a grinder to the caliper and shaved off a little bit of material until the wheels cleared. Then repainted the caliper. Now I won't have to worry about clearance issues the next time I change pads.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
O man, not only they don't look good, but then this. And you're not the only one. People should stop buying these rims. There are a million other better looking rims with more clearance than these for the money.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
timsters330i

Well this is disappointing. As it turns out, I wasn't as close as I thought to needing new rear pads when I made this original post several months ago. Since I'd rather not have to invest in new wheels (again), what are the thoughts on a thin spacer to resolve the issue (assuming that when I do need new pads, I will be one of those experiencing this issue)? While grinding the caliper would seem to solve the problem as well, I'm not sure I'd like to possibly compromise the caliper (albeit only a small amount of material would likely need to be removed).

Any significant compromise in doing a thin spacer? Or am I looking at having to get different wheels should a ground caliper not be a route I choose?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
thefitter

My Ride: Is tight all night!
If and when this becomes an issue it's not that big a deal to put a spacer on. Here's some that are only 3mm from Turner.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...UCT_ID=0675725

I would not grind my calipers.
2002 325i - BBS RK ~ Michelin PSII ~ Bilstein CoilOver ~ Rogue RSTM ~ Brembo BBK (custom yellow color) ~ H-Sport Sways ~ TMS endlinks ~ M-Sport CA ~ Powerflex CAB ~ M-Sport STB ~ Ground Control RCA ~ PowerFlex RTAB ~ SuperSprint catback ~ Vorshlag ACP ~ Dinan CAI ~ Dinan SW ~ Denso Iridium ~ Royal Purple XPR ~ Formula One Pinnacle 35.

2007 335i - 100% Stock except dumped the run flats for Michelin PSII.
thefitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
O man, not only they don't look good, but then this. And you're not the only one. People should stop buying these rims. There are a million other better looking rims with more clearance than these for the money.
they look bad ass ,abi

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Turk View Post
they look bad ass ,abi
not to me Firat, I'd take CSL reps or 135Ms over these any day of the week. But to each their own

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsters330i View Post
Well this is disappointing. As it turns out, I wasn't as close as I thought to needing new rear pads when I made this original post several months ago. Since I'd rather not have to invest in new wheels (again), what are the thoughts on a thin spacer to resolve the issue (assuming that when I do need new pads, I will be one of those experiencing this issue)? While grinding the caliper would seem to solve the problem as well, I'm not sure I'd like to possibly compromise the caliper (albeit only a small amount of material would likely need to be removed).

Any significant compromise in doing a thin spacer? Or am I looking at having to get different wheels should a ground caliper not be a route I choose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitter View Post
I would not grind my calipers.
I've got 64k miles on my rear calipers since the time that I ground them. Including plenty of hard mountain drives that got the brakes plenty hot. Haven't had an issue with them at all.

On the idea of running a 3mm spacer -- I know that on my car with rolled fenders, a 3mm spacer would most likely cause clearance issues. Grinding the calipers is free If I were closer, you could check mine out. I only had to take off a small bit of material.

Thank you Sam
Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
BeeamW

My Ride: 04' BMW 330Ci (vert)
Man, I just got my Beyern Mesh 18s last week after several weeks of sleepless night. Beyern was my 2nd choice and the reason I settled with them was because my first choice VMR V715 was not available in 18s. After I bought them they didn't look as good as they did in the pics. So I was disappointed initially but then they started growing in me. Just when I thought I was about to fall in love with them you guys tell me this? How come no body mentioned this to me when was asking for suggestion?
BeeamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
See this thread in addition to the quotes from ZZen.

While I understand the aversion to grinding down calipers, if you're careful and only need to take off a little bit, it's absolutely doable with 0 affect on the car's performance or longevity.

OP, let us know how it goes.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
While I understand the aversion to grinding down calipers, if you're careful and only need to take off a little bit, it's absolutely doable with 0 affect on the car's performance or longevity.
Exactly. Look at how thick the caliper is on the top outside corner. Is taking off 1/16" really going to cause it to fail?

And, for what it's worth, when I bought my wheels, the shop said that the rear wheels are not listed as a size that fits the 330. I told them, nah a bunch of guys online have them on their cars, I'll take they fit, I promise. We all know how that ended up....

Thank you Sam
Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
BeeamW

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Exactly. Look at how thick the caliper is on the top outside corner. Is taking off 1/16" really going to cause it to fail?

And, for what it's worth, when I bought my wheels, the shop said that the rear wheels are not listed as a size that fits the 330. I told them, nah a bunch of guys online have them on their cars, I'll take they fit, I promise. We all know how that ended up....
What size rear wheels do you have? When I bought mine form Discount Tire Direct and they said it would fit per BMW's reccomendation. Besides, how could Beyern not know this, I thought they make wheels for bimmers only (even though that doesn't mean all their wheels would fit all models of BMW).
Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeamW View Post
What size rear wheels do you have? When I bought mine form Discount Tire Direct and they said it would fit per BMW's reccomendation. Besides, how could Beyern not know this, I thought they make wheels for bimmers only (even though that doesn't mean all their wheels would fit all models of BMW).
I have the 18x9.5 with a 45 offset.

Honestly, having to take a little bit off of the caliper is a small price to pay for the deep lip on the wheel.

Thank you Sam
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
timsters330i

Thanks all for your responses. I suppose it is somewhat reassuring I'm not the only one. When it comes time for those new pads, I'll decide which route makes the most sense depending on how much interference there is.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
BeeamW

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I have the 18x9.5 with a 45 offset.

Honestly, having to take a little bit off of the caliper is a small price to pay for the deep lip on the wheel.
So spacers aren't a good solution? To be honest I'd rather use spacers to have a bit more flush look then grinding down the calipers and still have the way my wheels are right now. Are your Beyerns flush with the fender?

Am I choosing the wrong option? I know a lot of people don't want to use spacers, are they really that bad for your car?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeamW View Post
So spacers aren't a good solution? To be honest I'd rather use spacers to have a bit more flush look then grinding down the calipers and still have the way my wheels are right now. Are your Beyerns flush with the fender?

Am I choosing the wrong option? I know a lot of people don't want to use spacers, are they really that bad for your car?
I have 10mm spacers in the front. Had to do it to clear the coilovers, but it also got the wheel to the edge of the fender. There are pictures of my car here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=486285

Thank you Sam
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
^^^^ No light bar?

j/k, nice clean coupe, frobie

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags