E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #21
ZHPEE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 417
My Ride: 330zhp,M5,CayenneGTS
20's will fit as long as you enjoy rubbing the crap out of the tires and your fenders. And the above guy was right....... why make your car look like an escalade? Chrome and 20" rims= tacky
__________________
E(46)=MC2
ZHPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #22
Acarder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,656
My Ride: 04 330i, 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstar View Post
That is just your opinions. My car came with them but I get ton of compliments.

Its just a matter of taste. Do what makes YOU happy.
It's not just our opinion, it's common consensus. If you want to drive around in an E46 with chrome wheels, thats fine. If you want to drive around with 20 inch rims thats fine too. The OP however came here asking us for what we thought on them. Thats entirely different. They're not meant for the car and they look ridiculous. 19's are even a little too big, but they work a little better. Having chrome wheels though? No. Not a chance in hell.

Last edited by Acarder; 05-03-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:32 AM   #23
codyfunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 700
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Afro is a great guy.
codyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #24
Owtlaw333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 7,611
My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdude! View Post
19 inch rims is max !
unless u cut and shredd stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPEE View Post
20's will fit as long as you enjoy rubbing the crap out of the tires and your fenders. And the above guy was right....... why make your car look like an escalade? Chrome and 20" rims= tacky


Having wheels with the correct offset, with the right size tires and a good alignment, 20s will fit just fine with NO issues. If you don't know the right answer to something, keep your garbage to yourself.


With that said, chrome just doesn't look good and will slow down your car like no other. I'd strongly advise against it.
__________________
Bringing it back for the new people...

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #25
BMW_Stu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,548
My Ride: HPF 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
It's not just our opinion, it's common consensus. If you want to drive around in an E46 with chrome wheels, thats fine. If you want to drive around with 20 inch rims thats fine too. The OP however came here asking us for what we thought on them. Thats entirely different. They're not meant for the car and they look ridiculous. 19's are even a little too big, but they work a little better. Having chrome wheels though? No. Not a chance in hell.
hmmm, i think i jumped the gun a little b4 my rant i didnt see where he was asking for recomendations. need 2 read better, although i do mean what i said about everyone saying "why" "no dont do that"...

having said that im rolling on 235/19's. i do prefer wider tires for looks but the 235's handle my 330's massive 230-245 hp pretty well. as for making the car feel slow, i came from 17 lb m68 wheels to (im not sayin) lb 19's and i really dont feel much of a differance in ride quality, agility, or speed. im just keepin my eye out for a set of someones stock 16's i can put on there and take it 2 the track... i can have it all. if you r gonna buy rims, i wouldnt recomend 17's unless you were going strictly for performance, 18's for a little of both, 19's more towards looks, and if you are lookin 2 buy 20's i think i can safely assume that you arent going for performance so much. i would recomend a 19 inch because your gas mileage wont suffer as much as with a 20 inch, plus it will be easier to find sizes that wont give you issues. i think a 20 inch might be a lot more likely to rub. BreakMyWallet was rockin 20's on his 323 and his car was totally basass rolling sex. no one jumped down his back for it. you can rock 20's, just make sure u know how b4 you do.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:56 AM   #26
nka203
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 786
My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to nka203
18's are perfect. with a little stretch and drop it looks great without looking too big.
nka203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #27
Acarder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,656
My Ride: 04 330i, 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrothunderr86 View Post
hmmm, i think i jumped the gun a little b4 my rant i didnt see where he was asking for recomendations. need 2 read better, although i do mean what i said about everyone saying "why" "no dont do that"...

having said that im rolling on 235/19's. i do prefer wider tires for looks but the 235's handle my 330's massive 230-245 hp pretty well. as for making the car feel slow, i came from 17 lb m68 wheels to (im not sayin) lb 19's and i really dont feel much of a differance in ride quality, agility, or speed. im just keepin my eye out for a set of someones stock 16's i can put on there and take it 2 the track... i can have it all. if you r gonna buy rims, i wouldnt recomend 17's unless you were going strictly for performance, 18's for a little of both, 19's more towards looks, and if you are lookin 2 buy 20's i think i can safely assume that you arent going for performance so much. i would recomend a 19 inch because your gas mileage wont suffer as much as with a 20 inch, plus it will be easier to find sizes that wont give you issues. i think a 20 inch might be a lot more likely to rub. BreakMyWallet was rockin 20's on his 323 and his car was totally basass rolling sex. no one jumped down his back for it. you can rock 20's, just make sure u know how b4 you do.
Do you have any pics? I'm tempted to see what it looks like. There are ways to pull off everything I guess, but im going to take a shot in the dark and say they're not chrome dubs . I just think that the fenders are the wrong shape for bigger wheels and trying to find tires that'll fit 20's and fit is too much of a hassle to make your car look worse. I'm going to get 18's myself but to fill it out better im going to run thicker wider tires. My winter 17's are bigger than my friends 18's if you include tires and I think they look better even though they're stock sports ones because hes going thin thin tires. I think that running super thin tires on mediumly sized wheels (17-19) makes them look much too small.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #28
BMW_Stu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,548
My Ride: HPF 330ci
looking 4 pix now.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 AM   #29
BMW_Stu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,548
My Ride: HPF 330ci
ok, here r a couple cars slammed on dubbs.








........and of course












.













.




















































.






Dammit! howd that one get in there...

strangely, the only pix i could really find were all of cars with r0-7's, they still fit and dont look overly huge tho

Last edited by BMW_Stu; 05-04-2009 at 03:47 AM.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #30
SlickShift
Registered User
 
SlickShift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,418
My Ride: '09 135i 6-speed
I wouldn't put anything over 18'' unless your car is heavily modified; and if it is, 19'' is max IMO.
__________________
-Nick

-2009 135i TiAg/Coral Red -2006 325Ci Jet Black/Nautral Brown- 2000 323i Bright Red/Sand Beige-
SlickShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #31
hummer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 3,321
My Ride: 2001 330CI
I think you should hold out for 22" wheels and some solid rubber tires! That way flats wouldn't be a problem.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #32
evilstar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Inland Empire, SoCal
Posts: 18,303
My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
I think you should hold out for 22" wheels and some solid rubber tires! That way flats wouldn't be a problem.
giving new meaning to runflats huh
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #33
pineypl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 56
My Ride: 325ci
They will fit, but I suggest not. Why?

I rode around on 19"s for a while, previous owner had them. I went back to the factory 7 spoke 17". The ride is now amazing. The 19"s was horribly harsh.
__________________
-Bob

pineypl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
hummer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 3,321
My Ride: 2001 330CI
If you really want 20" for the look?, first go to the for sale section in this forum and LOOK at all the 19" wheels for sale. This is a your clue as to what problems are ahead if you go to 20"!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #35
BMW_Stu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,548
My Ride: HPF 330ci
found another... seriously, so any of these cars really look bad?


BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #36
albeee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 45,600
My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
you CAN fit 20s, but...if you plan on actually driving your car on public roads you're better off with 18s (best compromise between looks/ride) or get a replacement set of 20s for when you damage your first set.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #37
BMW_Stu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,548
My Ride: HPF 330ci
my 19's r holding up fine, they really dont make much of a differance from my stock m68's
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #38
codyfunk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 700
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Alright thanks guys! I appreciate all the input. I think I might go with some 19's and a drop.
codyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
20", 330ci, e46, rims, silly

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use