E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2003, 11:41 AM   #1
Split

My Ride: 2005 Lexus IS300
Send a message via ICQ to Split Send a message via MSN to Split Send a message via Yahoo to Split
M3 Help!

My Old man, wants to supe up his M3 SMG, and i figured there's probably no-where better in the world to ask than here. I've been occassionally reading on this forum, and everyone's knowledge on here is just crazy.. you must all be like Mechanical Engineers or something... anyway, he bought it just as the snow was melting this year (i live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), at the dealership they told him it was a 2002 model, and he bought it because he didnt want to have to wait until the summer was over to get a 2003 model. (they were pre-sold very far etc) So, he wants preformance stuff.. the first thing we tried was a simple drop-in K&N Filter as a replacement to the standard cloth one (i had a credit note at some preformance store, so i thought id just get a K&N Air Filter to use it up). It didnt fit because it turns out that the 2003 engine (which it appears he has), is positioned slightly differently than the 2002. (either that, or its related to the fact that his is an SMG model) Anyway... what can he do for his car to improve power, braking, and handling? The obvious stuff like "CAI", "Brembo Brakes" & "H&R Lowering Springs". But all that stuff seems like ***** stuff, and i doubt its any better than the stock stuff he has, as is. So what can be done? The way he looks at it, the M3 CSL has 360hp, so why can't his? Aparently AC Schnitzer has some nice exhaust system along with improved suspension to fix the understeer, but i don't even know where to order that stuff and i dont know if its worth it. What do you guys think?
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
kashif

My Ride: Blown 330i
well i think the m3 brakes are quite good even at stock, why dont you go for a chip upgrade, exhaust, gruppem(cai).

personally i wouldnt really want to touch the m3's suspension its already pretty stiff, go for extra stuff such as strut bars & sways, those wont effect ride quality.

good luck with the mods!

:-)
Old 08-12-2003, 01:35 PM   #3
SST

My Ride: 325i
An M3 is pretty "hot rodded" as is.
As was mentioned, intake, exhaust, chip.
It's an M3, what more could you ask for, really.

Intake and exhaust are typically not their best due to emissions regs thus there is room for improvement. The owner would have to be willing to give up some of the daily quiet cruise sounds as many/most intake and exhausts are louder and some even drone while cruising down the highway.

When doing mods, you have to ask yourself what it is that you are lacking and what it is you are trying to accomplish. What is the car lacking?
What would you like to see improve? Those kinds of things.
Doing mods just for the sake of doing mods is rather pointless and a waste of cash and time, more so when you consider how sweet the M3 package already is.

TT
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Split

Send a message via ICQ to Split Send a message via MSN to Split Send a message via Yahoo to Split
Question

where would i buy such items?
Old 08-12-2003, 01:37 PM   #5
Split

Exclamation

well my dad had a Porsche C4S, and the M3 doesnt seem to preform as well as it did... handling, braking, & power wise. If its going to make that much of a difference, he'll definitely go for the exhaust upgrade. Loudness isnt really a factor, his every day car is his X5 or the 330xi.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:38 PM   #6
kashif

My Ride: Blown 330i
check out www.renn-sport.net for the chip, exhaust and gruppem(cai) they have every thing try getting the cai on a group buy.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:38 PM   #7
Zytgiest
Trained Satirist...

My Ride: 03M3
There is little "real World" evidence that any Intake will make a significant inprovement, and if you change it, the EMS will have to be re programed to the new Configuration K&N and many aftermarket replacement filters have been tested and show LOSS of air flow!

The brakes ( I believe that you have the Euro Drilled there in CAN) are good enough to even Autocross with.
Better Pads, New Fluid, and SS lines will make them even better -and track worthy, for limited use.
Exhaust will provide Modest Gains as well.

Losing Weight is the key to making this car faster.

Suspension, Especially Sways, and Springs will make the biggest difference.
Wheels and tires can provide up to a 50 lb savings in weight!

bang for buck there is not much that will provide much power gain and STILL keep the Warranty. Re-mapping throatle with a chip will improve response, but few actual horses.

"It is pointless, and endless trouble, to cast a stone at every dog that barks at you"
Zytgiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:17 PM   #8
SST

My Ride: 325i
I'm not sure what you mean by "real world" rearding the intake issue.
But, there have been many dyno documented cars that have benefitted, increased power, with a different intake.
If you are speaking specifically about the M3, than I concede as I don't have real world knowledge regarding intakes on the M3.

The M3 is not a C4S and shouldn't be expected to be such.

TT
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:01 PM   #9
audikiller

My Ride: 01 M3 6spd-02 M3 SMG
If you want really good advice do to bimmer.org and ask around there in the e46 M3 forum. Steve Medina especially has a lot of good advice on how to improve the M3.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:21 PM   #10
CtrlAltDel
www.piratecove.org

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Send a message via ICQ to CtrlAltDel Send a message via AIM to CtrlAltDel
intake exhaust chip

anything over that might take more work then your old man might want to put in
Old 08-12-2003, 05:18 PM   #11
Zytgiest
Trained Satirist...

My Ride: 03M3
Quote:
Originally posted by audikiller
If you want really good advice do to bimmer.org and ask around there in the e46 M3 forum. Steve Medina especially has a lot of good advice on how to improve the M3.
Might be easier to find him at Roadfly.com on the E46 M3 forum... not sure he ever leaves!

SST - I was refering to the M3 only, as that was the subject of the discussion.
We are all waiting to see just where BMW will go to kep up with the hi-powererd competition.
These I-6's (M3 again) are verry highly "Tweaked" as they are, they won't be able to get too much more out of this configuration!

"It is pointless, and endless trouble, to cast a stone at every dog that barks at you"
Zytgiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:30 PM   #12
audikiller

My Ride: 01 M3 6spd-02 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally posted by Zytgiest

Might be easier to find him at Roadfly.com on the E46 M3 forum... not sure he ever leaves!
bimmer.org is roadfly.com