E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
RAWSS330

My Ride: 330ci
Huge transmission shifting issue.. 330ci

Hey everyone so here's my story.

I drive a manual 2001 330ci, 88,000 miles. Two nights ago while highway driving, I noticed that shifting between 1st 2nd and 3rd gear felt very sticky and almost grindy. (4th and 5th gear felt fine). My shifter has always been very smooth with no problems engaging. So tonight while driving home it seemed to have gotten worse. I was at a light and i could not engage the car into 1st gear. I finally forced it into 1st, took off, and when switching to 2nd there was a horrible grinding /banging from the tranny. I pulled over and the shifter would not go into any gear, not even reverse. Finally after slamming the shifter into third i was able to get the carmoving and drove it home. The car drives perfectly when in 3rd gear but once I take it out of third its hard to get it into any other gear. Seems to be a problem with linkages or forks?? Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RAWSS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
MJRMatt330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to MJRMatt330
oh wow thats sounds pretty awful man.... scares the **** outa me too lol i wish you luck
Interior/Sound- Tri-M3 wheel, Leather ///M shiftknob, DICE iPod integration, JL Audio 10" Whoofers, Custom Box, JL Audio 250/1 Amp

MJRMatt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Did you check the fluid level?

You need to get under the car, and remove the FILL bolt, The fluid should be level with the hole opening.

Everything you mentioned seems to point to low fluid levels. Tranny fluid doesn't burn up, so if it's low, it is usually a leak. Hopefully it won't be a seal or gasket, maybe just a lose drain bolt.

Last edited by SD 328I; 05-10-2009 at 02:57 AM.
SD 328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWSS330 View Post
Hey everyone so here's my story.

I drive a manual 2001 330ci, 88,000 miles. Two nights ago while highway driving, I noticed that shifting between 1st 2nd and 3rd gear felt very sticky and almost grindy. (4th and 5th gear felt fine). My shifter has always been very smooth with no problems engaging. So tonight while driving home it seemed to have gotten worse. I was at a light and i could not engage the car into 1st gear. I finally forced it into 1st, took off, and when switching to 2nd there was a horrible grinding /banging from the tranny. I pulled over and the shifter would not go into any gear, not even reverse. Finally after slamming the shifter into third i was able to get the carmoving and drove it home. The car drives perfectly when in 3rd gear but once I take it out of third its hard to get it into any other gear. Seems to be a problem with linkages or forks?? Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
worn clutch ?
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgin View Post
worn clutch ?
Worn clutches don't usually affect the gearbox or gear selectors.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
RAWSS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Worn clutches don't usually affect the gearbox or gear selectors.

Your absolutely right. it is deff not worn clutch. and fluid level is fine. the clutch has 15k miles on it. i feel like it could be more a synchro problem..
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Throw out bearing.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
KriTiKaL AspecT

My Ride: 2001 AW 330Ci
Yea I'd check your fluid first. Don't get too agressive with the shifter or you will bend the fork as well. Hope it dosent end up like my cousin's. He made a shift into second the other night and can't get it out. For some reason we can't even split the tranny open because of this.
KriTiKaL AspecT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnoe07 View Post
Throw out bearing.
Do you even know what a throw out bearing is ?

To OP: sorry bud, your gear box is forked.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Do you even know what a throw out bearing is ?

To OP: sorry bud, your gear box is forked.
I think he is saying if the transmission shop rebuilding the unit finds a bad bearing, throw it out.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
I wouldn't rule out a bad clutch/flywheel or even bad install. The manual transmissions are usually pretty solid.

All of the symptoms sound like what would happen if you tried to force the car into a gear without depressing the clutch fully. An easy test would be test driving on a rack or with the rear wheels off the ground. See if you can now shift the car normally and if the wheels spin with the car in gear, clutch depressed.
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Dude, everyone, stop speculating

This happened to me for a while, almost exactly the same scenario. I was convinced my 2nd gear syncro was toast, but that wasn't it. I had totally worn linkage bushings, as well as bad trans/motor mounts...it could be some combination or all of these. I also noticed my trans output shaft flange wasn't tight, but I doubt this was the culprit.

Once I fixed the rubber bits, it shifted wonderfully again, like magic. I should note that "slamming" anything in a gearbox is NOT the way to do it. After it would grind going into second (I would let off as soon as I could, grinding is NEVER good for anything) sometimes it wouldn't want to go into any gear...so I'd drift off onto the shoulder and sit there and massage the gearbox and the clutch until something got back into the right place. I never forced it, but eventually whatever was out of whack would realign itself and I'd be back in action. But like I said, fix those rubber and plastic bits and I bet you'll be fine.

Last edited by frogg320; 05-10-2009 at 11:12 AM.
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Nope, not really. Just thought I'd throw something out there.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
RAWSS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg320 View Post
Dude, everyone, stop speculating

This happened to me for a while, almost exactly the same scenario. I was convinced my 2nd gear syncro was toast, but that wasn't it. I had totally worn linkage bushings, as well as bad trans/motor mounts...it could be some combination or all of these. I also noticed my trans output shaft flange wasn't tight, but I doubt this was the culprit.

Once I fixed the rubber bits, it shifted wonderfully again, like magic. I should note that "slamming" anything in a gearbox is NOT the way to do it. After it would grind going into second (I would let off as soon as I could, grinding is NEVER good for anything) sometimes it wouldn't want to go into any gear...so I'd drift off onto the shoulder and sit there and massage the gearbox and the clutch until something got back into the right place. I never forced it, but eventually whatever was out of whack would realign itself and I'd be back in action. But like I said, fix those rubber and plastic bits and I bet you'll be fine.

It could be linkage.. but i got the transmission out and the end of the transmission shaft (which sits in the pilot bearing) is totally worn down..I have never seen anything like it before... I can stick my finger in the pilot bearing and i feel play..I definitely think it's a blown pilot bearing. Which caused the offset between shifting. Any other ideas? I just bought a salvaged refurbished 330ci transmission that has 25,000 miles on it. 400 bucks. Awesome deal.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
RAWSS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
Did you check the fluid level?

You need to get under the car, and remove the FILL bolt, The fluid should be level with the hole opening.

Everything you mentioned seems to point to low fluid levels. Tranny fluid doesn't burn up, so if it's low, it is usually a leak. Hopefully it won't be a seal or gasket, maybe just a lose drain bolt.
Fluid level was fine. when i got the tranny out though i drained it, it had a horrible burning smell and was completely black... The owner that had it before me got the clutch done before he sold it to me. I'm thinking they might have put some kind of other transmission fluid in it?? (other than the BMW recommended?)
Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWSS330 View Post
Fluid level was fine. when i got the tranny out though i drained it, it had a horrible burning smell and was completely black... The owner that had it before me got the clutch done before he sold it to me. I'm thinking they might have put some kind of other transmission fluid in it?? (other than the BMW recommended?)
If the fluid was black maybe they thought it was a saab and put motor oil in it lol.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #17
altink

My Ride: 99 328i
Just a thought but have u checked the slave cylinder, my car is auto but im assuming that the manual tranny has hydrolic clutch like my starion and the 240 sx i had. my station had the same prob u havin and i changed the slave cylinder, prob fixed, so i'd say check that first. GL
altink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 AM   #18
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
clutch isn't disengaging fully?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
RAWSS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
clutch isn't disengaging fully?
clutch is brand new and was disengaging fully. like is said, i got the car home in 3rd gear. The problem i am having doesn't relate to the clutch.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
brigade00

My Ride: bmw 2001 330ci
help!

HellO
i drive a 2001 BMW Ci.I have a problem with my car.When i park my car upward like a on my drive way and when i park car down ward.When i shift my car to from parking to drive and pulls back.When i start driving it pulls back when it reaches 1,2,3,4 when and pull back and it also down it when i slow down. this doesn't happen everytime only sometimes. what is the problem ? if u have any idea let me know asap. thanks
brigade00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, forks, linkage, shifting, transmission