E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #21
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Any power/torque gains on the "trusty" butt dyno? How does it sound?
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Hurry up...
Yeah, i'm telling myself that. I have a total of 7 more classes before this project has to be done and have a write-up for me to get my final grade in welding class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner View Post
Here's how i made/did mine. If you need any help (finding parts, route, etc) hit me up. How do you plan to support it in the middle - stock hangers/bushings wont work. Oh-ebay headers too on mine. Entire exhaust made from pieces cut/fitted by me/tigged by a friend over a weekend.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...IMG_0674-1.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...l/IMG_0675.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...l/IMG_0676.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...l/IMG_0677.jpg
Wow beautiful!

I'm going for something exactly like that except without the catalytic converter since I'm keeping my stock headers for now. A removable cat may be in the plans for the future.

For the center support, I think I'm going to bend and cut some stainless steel sheet metal and mount it to the black brace kind of like the OEM center support.

Thanks for the pictures though. That's really helpful as it gives me a better idea of what I'm going to be doing. Thanks for offering the help as well.

Quote:
Oh i just saw you're using the vibrant flanges. You're probably going to have to clearance them - flanges are too big and our header outlets are too close together.
Lame... By clearance them, what do you mean? Simply grinding some material away?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #23
NightRunner

My Ride: Slowmobile
I'll see if i can find the pictures of the mount i made. Its the same idea as the stock support, but more rigid and smaller. the problem is with the 3" pipe there really isnt much room and you're likely to hit.

As for the flanges, I have to grind the side of the left flange about 1/4" in (looking at them). imagine them side by side, but the left one wanted to overlap the right one a bit. When I get home from work later today I'll dig up some pictures from the build-it'll explain better.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #24
mkodama

Quote:
I'll see if i can find the pictures of the mount i made. Its the same idea as the stock support, but more rigid and smaller. the problem is with the 3" pipe there really isnt much room and you're likely to hit.

As for the flanges, I have to grind the side of the left flange about 1/4" in (looking at them). imagine them side by side, but the left one wanted to overlap the right one a bit. When I get home from work later today I'll dig up some pictures from the build-it'll explain better.
Thanks!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #25
NightRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Any power/torque gains on the "trusty" butt dyno? How does it sound?
Butt dyno said the engine noticably breaths better. Im not saying it gained massive amounts of power, but it seems to "glide" on acceleration moreso than before. Like it wants to accelerate easier. I also have done some headwork and opened up the stock airbox which is restrictive (diy dinan box basically) and the exhaust was one of the last major "restrictions".

Soundwise i've been complimented many times on it. Completely random people saying it sounds awesome. The rear muffler is a Mac flowpath - you see them a lot on mustangs. Same idea as a flowmaster but sounds a LOT better-not the "hollow" sound. I used it because I have a set on my big block v8 and love the sound-its a nice deep tone. It makes the bmw sound even better-not a super high tinny sound but a good growl.

I have a video of the exhaust on youtube, but honestly it kind of sucks. car was cold and I only revved it to about 3k. I need to find someone to record a video of a driveby since apparantly thats where its zexxy time. youtube is blocked here at work so i cant find/post the link.

Only bad thing is there is a NASTY drone around 2500-3000 while partway on the throttle (i.e. highway)-but you generally get this with any car and any engine size with a 3" exhaust. It has to do with the exhaust harmonics and pipe size. For some reason 3" tubes like to resonate at 130-140hz. However, in a couple weeks I'm going to add something to the exhaust that should hopefully eliminate that. That's really the only complaint.

If anyone's in the DC area I'll bring it out one day so people can hear it/ maybe get a recording.

Last edited by NightRunner; 05-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.
NightRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #26
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
nightrunner. sick exhaust. i love the turn down tip.

Miles you bought the flanges from HPF for $20 a piece? was that the cheapest you found?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #27
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post

Miles you bought the flanges from HPF for $20 a piece? was that the cheapest you found?
Yup. Stainless steel exhaust flanges are no lie. Someone actually just rang the doorbell a while ago and I was too lazy to go see who it was, and I'm thinking it was UPS or Fedex with the correctly sized 2" stainless flanges I had to reorder.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #28
NightRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post

Lol. that's actually just a piece of SS mandrel bend I cut straight. My muffler is tucked WAY up (maybe 1/2" clearance above). If i mounted the muffler lower i would have just used a straight exit. But in a couple weeks when I'm able to get to the Tig again, I have another idea for the tailpipe (reason for it being tucked up high) that'll hopefully pan out. Will require some bumper modification though.

I'm heading out of here in a bit- I'll upload the pictures / take a vid of it sitting in the driveway and revving later.

Last edited by NightRunner; 05-12-2009 at 04:21 PM.
NightRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #29
mkodama

Quote:
Lol. that's actually just a piece of SS mandrel bend I cut straight. My muffler is tucked WAY up (maybe 1/2" clearance above). If i mounted the muffler lower i would have just used a straight exit. But in a couple weeks when I'm able to get to the Tig again, I have another idea for the tailpipe (reason for it being tucked up high) that'll hopefully pan out. Will require some bumper modification though.

I'm heading out of here in a bit- I'll upload the pictures / take a vid of it sitting in the driveway and revving later.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #30
NightRunner

Might take a few minutes to upload (7:27 now)

I'd suggest watching it in the "HD" version. and if you have a subwoofer for your computer use that. Then you can get an idea of the bass the exhaust produces. Sounds 100x better with decent speakers + sub vs laptop speakers.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #31
mkodama

Sounds really good! I'm curious how my car will sound since it has a different muffler and resonator. But if it's anything similar, than

Old 05-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #32
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
wow very impressive.
quick question how much should a shop charge me to do a quad set up with 3'' pipping with glass packs.

thanks!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #33
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Geat work miles!

Gonna be unique, Make sure to post some vids of the final product.

4500rpm+ only

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #34
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADON4SHO View Post
wow very impressive.
quick question how much should a shop charge me to do a quad set up with 3'' pipping with glass packs.

thanks!
There are many ways you could go. You could do stainless or you could do aluminized steel. Also if you are doing a quad setup with 3" pipe, you would have a hard time fitting everything in the back, so it would probably be easier to just cut out the spare wheel well and do something with an M3 replica bumper or Y-pipe to dual 2.5" for a little bit of extra clearance. I know from experience that quad 3" hangs down very far and will be visible from behind. I'm not quite so sure about ground clearance though.

Also there are things like skill and reputation of the shop, and your location will have a big impact on the labor.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #35
NightRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanfromQuebec View Post
Geat work miles!

Gonna be unique, Make sure to post some vids of the final product.

4500rpm+ only

lol. ya ya. if i have time this weekend I'll get an in-car vid.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #36
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Quote:
lol. ya ya. if i have time this weekend I'll get an in-car vid.

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #37
ledfut

My Ride: '99 328i
Sounds very wicked. I can't wait to hear it under load. I'm thinking about doing a similar setup on mine.

Kudos to you for that setup!
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #38
mkodama

Making a merge collector totally blows. I spent all class today trying to make one. Probably going to be an even bigger pain making a 2" to 3" transition.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #39
NightRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Making a merge collector totally blows. I spent all class today trying to make one. Probably going to be an even bigger pain making a 2" to 3" transition.
Are you making one because you want the experience or because you couldn't find a cheap one?

i went 2-2.5" then expanded to 3". 30 bucks for collector, 23 for the cone. no need to pay stupid prices for burns stainless. same exact thing.

http://www.coneeng.com good quality stuff too. I've used them multiple times.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #40
mkodama

Quote:
Are you making one because you want the experience or because you couldn't find a cheap one?

i went 2-2.5" then expanded to 3". 30 bucks for collector, 23 for the cone. no need to pay stupid prices for burns stainless. same exact thing.

http://www.coneeng.com good quality stuff too. I've used them multiple times.
I just don't have any money to spare, so my only option really is to make the stuff.