E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Edge protector replacement DIY

OK, so my stepfather and I replaced my worn edge protectors on both front doors last autumn, but I've just been too lazy to post up the DIY unitl now. Apologies for how the car looks, I got the messy jobs out of the way before re-conollising the leather interior!

Stay with it, lots of pics in two parts!

1. Remove the kick plate

2. Using trim tools makes this easier (bought of eBay really cheaply)

3. There are three pop-in plastic rivets to pry off.

4. With the kick plate removed...

5. Roughly line up the new edge protector with the piece in situ that is to be replaced as an initial guide to placement.

6. Now simply peel away the old edge protector - there is a male and female end located under the now-removed kick plate - seperate these and pull off door.

7. The new edge protector part number for a sedan (it's the same for both front doors)

8. Take the new edge protector out of the box and find the small rubber thread - this is important - remove it or else the protector wont sit properly on the door (and yes, we found this out the long way!)

9. This thread runs the entire length of the edge protector...

10. And is of no use other than to maintain the edge protector's shape (it has a metal core than can bend as you'll see later)...

11. This is what the finished fitment of the edge protector looks like if you don't remove the inner thread! (Check out the dirty mark about half an inch above the felt!)

12. This is the part of the new edge prtector that connects to the edge of the door frame...

13. ...And this is what the now-exposed door frame looks like you are fixing it to...

14. Using a rubber mallet start applying the edge protector to the door. Start at the base of the door where the kick plate was and keep the felt finish upwards and inwards

15. It's important to keep a good level of tension on the new part whilst you are applying it to the door edge so you've got enough to reach the other end!

16. Applying the new protector to the corners of the door frames are the trickiest bits - ensure tension is maintained and push the protector right into the corner to ensure maximum tightness in these areas.

17. Once the first top corner has been applied, maintain the taughtness and run along the top of the edge...

18. The watchword as you go around is keep it tight (without popping previously done corners out again!)

(continued below...)

Last edited by Goughie; 02-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Goughie

19. Coming around the last corner - you'll soon find out if you're tight enough all round!

20. This is what you should have left at the end - just enough length for the male end to marry to the female.

21. Once the protector has been joined up, go around again and check the felt trim edging of the new piece is flush to the rest of the door trim -it should be over and not under the other trim and as dirt has normally been trapped under the old edge protector, it's easy to see if the felt is in the right place (see the dirty line just above the finger in this pic).

22. The trim tools come in handy for this last job.

Now simply re-fix the door kick plate (it just snaps back in) and you're done!

23. This was what the rubber looked like on my old edge protectors...

24. ...And what the inside of the old edge protector had deteriorated into because of water ingress via the rotten rubber. It's this metal that allows the edge protector to grip the door edge.

At the start of this piece, I said that my stepfather and I did this - well in actual fact I just stood there and took loads of pictures like a bossy photographer, so just a big thanks to my stepdad David who is the real reason this DIY is up here!

Total time for job - about 15 minutes per door once we (David!) sussed it out.

Hope this is useful - it a fairly easy DIY

Last edited by Goughie; 02-07-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
clinique

My Ride: 06 M3 Vert
ncie writeup
one of my seals is leaking water through into the interior during heavy rainstorms

would a new one definitely seal it back up?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinique View Post
ncie writeup
one of my seals is leaking water through into the interior during heavy rainstorms

would a new one definitely seal it back up?
Can you see the edge protector has perished? if so it should do. And even if it's not this is a cheap and easy DIY anyway!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
summit425

My Ride: E46 AW 323Ci
well.. there is a cable involved in this DIY and somehow you didn't mention anything about the cable...
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
ATB24

My Ride: '03 330i
Seat Ibiza, nice!
ATB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
e46330xix

My Ride: 330
good info. ud be surprised how many people have holes in their rubbers all around
e46330xix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
good write up. wish these damn things werent so expensive though!

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vids_blk323Ci View Post
good write up. wish these damn things werent so expensive though!
What are you being quoted? I think I paid around 20 for each strip from my stealer, so total job cost 45 (including the trim tools). Not too expensive?

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
bmwmedic

My Ride: 323i 99 01 530i sp
If that beautiful woman in the last post is your wife, (and she darn well better be!)
then helping you with the car is the least thing your father in law has done for you!

Heck,forget working on that silly car! lol

Anyway, where was I, I have a 99 323 but just yesterday I bought the edge protector for the rivers side of my 01 530 and it was $82 reduced ti $51
with BMWCCA discount, at Autobahn motors in Fort worth tx. Interestingly the price I paid is what shows up in Realoem.com ( it about $5 less for a 46 than a 39)

Thanks, perfect timing, I thought I was going to need to glue it, and that can be messy,although it's the seals on the doors that often need glue I guess.

Last edited by bmwmedic; 05-17-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add
bmwmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmedic View Post
If that beautiful woman in the last post is your wife, (and she darn well better be!)
then helping you with the car is the least thing your father in law has done for you!

Heck,forget working on that silly car! lol

Anyway, where was I, I have a 99 323 but just yesterday I bought the edge protector for the rivers side of my 01 530 and it was $82 reduced ti $51
with BMWCCA discount, at Autobahn motors in Fort worth tx. Interestingly the price I paid is what shows up in Realoem.com ( it about $5 less for a 46 than a 39)

Thanks, perfect timing, I thought I was going to need to glue it, and that can be messy,although it's the seals on the doors that often need glue I guess.
My God I wish she was my wife! It's Ashley Williams an actress who played Ted's girlfriend Elizabeth in a coupe of episodes of "How I Met Your Mother" series one. We've not had series two onwards over here...

Deffo no glue needed - the metal core of the protector is more than enough to grip the chasis frame. Let us know how you get on!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Old 03-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
WilkesE46

My Ride: 04' 330Ci 6SP
Okay, quick question to bring this thread back to life:

I just received my edge protector from Tischer today and noticed that I have a physical wire with a female end plug at one end. Does anyone know what the hell might be plugging into an edge protector?! I'm confused as hell right about now

2010 Events:
Mid-Ohio April 9-11| Putnam Park May 15-16 | BeaveRun June 26-27 | More event info coming soon...
WilkesE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
e46bonestock

My Ride: 325
good job
good way to spend time with your step dad, bonding experience.
e46bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
WilkesE46

My Ride: 04' 330Ci 6SP
For Coupe Owners:

I noticed a few unique things when installing my driver's side edge protector yesterday:

1. The edge protector does not come split in half like in this DIY. It is one continuous piece which can make the install more of a pain to ensure everything lines up and the seal is perfect.
2. There is no long, thin rubber cord that needs to be taken out before installation. That's a plus!
3. Your kick plate has an annoyingly vast amount of attachment points: 8 on each side. DO NOT USE PLIERS TO TAKE THEM OUT, THEY WILL BREAK OFF AND FALL INTO THEIR HOLES. Use a clip extraction tool.
4. You must take your A-pillar off (Take off the HPS strip to reveal three T20 bolts, real easy to take off) to gain access to a two wire plug that connects to your side airbag system. I unhooked my battery for this step and waited one minute just in case. Unhook the wire and your old edge protector will come off. Make sure to hook up your new edge protector to the airbag during installation.

Good luck!

2010 Events:
Mid-Ohio April 9-11| Putnam Park May 15-16 | BeaveRun June 26-27 | More event info coming soon...
WilkesE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
Jascha

My Ride: 330ci
The felt portion of the edge protector has separated away on both of my new (to me) 2003 330 Ci door frames... is it possible to secure it in place without taking off the entire door frame trim seal ?

Thanks!
Jascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
just did this today, my edge protector was several inches longer than the one that i took out, and i ended up using a razor blade to cut off the excess and make a perfect fit, also need a tin snipper or wire cutter to cut through the thin metal reinforcement. I hope this solves my leaking problem on rainy days!

Last edited by NicB.; 03-12-2011 at 03:49 PM.
NicB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
tgib

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Send a message via ICQ to tgib
NicB. if water is standing in your passenger floor board then its not your door seal. you might wont to check your windshild cowl. I had the same issue with mine. it seems the water runs down behind the cowl and into your filter housing then drains through the AC. vent on to the blower motor then on to the carpit.
tgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
^^thanks, I replaced that a couple years ago too. No more leaks for me after the door trim was redone.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
I know this is an old thread, but more relevant now as the cars get older and the rubber and plastics degrade. My driver side needs replaced.
Thanks for taking the time to post the DIY
DEADF15H is online now   Reply With Quote