E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Bargain tv's

I found a nice summary of low dollar tv's.

Best Budget HDTVs

With retailers trying to entice buyers, you don't have to sacrifice quality to save money
By Nick Mokey, Digital TrendsWith stock prices falling and 401Ks crumbling daily, now might seem like a dubious time to go and spring for an oversized high-definition television (HDTV). But here's the kicker, provided you can afford to liberate some cash from under your mattress: Deals on the sets have never been more enticing. Not only has the pace of technology ensured that top-tier technology has quickly filtered down to budget models, but retailers are also dropping costs more and more every day as they attempt to reel in bargain hunters.

Long story short: It's a buyer's market. We've rounded up several of the industry's most affordable models, and all prices represent what you should actually be able to find these sets for in the current state of heavy discounts (not original MSRPs).

1. Panasonic Viera X1 Series TC-P42X1 42-Inch Plasma
$760+

Home theater aficionados prize plasma televisions for their deep black levels and fast response times, and when you're talking plasma, Panasonic is the go-to brand. This entry-level model forgoes 1080p resolution to get in under the sub-$1000 mark, but still delivers all the format's other benefits via a generous 42-inch screen, making it great for sports and movie fans.

2. Samsung LN40B530 40-inch LCD
$900

Picking a new TV from Samsung's sprawling array of sets to match every taste and budget can seem like finding a needle in a haystack, but the LN40B530 stands out for its full 1080p resolution, size, and sultry half-transparent bezel. Critics also praise it for its superior color palette and performance with motion, even though it doesn't boast a 120Hz refresh rate.

3. Vizio SV420XVT 42-inch LCD
$850+

Vizio has occasionally been met with criticism for its sometimes subpar quality and aggressive marketing strategies, but the company has scratched its way to the position of top LCD TV maker in the United States for good reason: No other company can offer the features Vizio does at the same price. This particular set offers sizable screen real estate, 1080p resolution, multiple HDMI inputs and a 120Hz refresh rate for smoother fast-motion shots a feature none of the other TVs in this price range are able to offer.

4. Samsung PN42B450 42-Inch Plasma
$800+

Panasonic may be the stand-out leader in plasma, but fellow manufacturer Samsung has also received accolades for the outstanding balance of price, features, and image quality in the PN42B450. Like the Panasonic plasma mentioned earlier, it only offers 720p resolution, though most won't be complaining given the still obviously HD picture quality and solid black levels touted. A classy piano-black bezel is the icing on the cake.

5. Sony KDL-32S5100 32-inch BRAVIA S Series LCD
$695+

Yes, you can buy a Sony set for under a grand. Case in point: If you have a smaller room to fill and want to keep performance top notch, the full 1080p resolution, 30,000:1 contrast ratio and three HDMI connectors on this model make it an ideal centerpiece for a compact but well-equipped home theater. And unless you're watching a lot of high-speed movies and sports, you probably won't miss the 120Hz refresh rate found on much pricier models.

6. LG 37LH20 37-inch LCD
$700+

The specs on this set don't read terribly different from many of the others in this list, including 720p resolution, a 60Hz refresh rate, and only two HDMI ports. But the 37LH20 does have some LG-specific features setting it apart, including a built-in sound system tuned by audio expert Mark Levinson and a LG's Picture Wizard for tweaking the TV to your own tastes without calibration tools. And if you do choose to ante up and have a pro assist with set configuration, all the ISF settings they'll need are easily accessible.

7. Toshiba 40RV525R 40-Inch LCD
$720+

Like the Samsung 40-incher included here, this midrange Toshiba offers many high-end features including full 1080p resolution and three HDMI inputs rolled into a modest 40-inch display. Proprietary extras include Toshiba DynaLight, which automatically adjusts the backlight for better black levels, and a "Gaming Mode" to reduce lag time on between console and screen.

8. Sharp Aquos LC-32BD60U 32-inch LCD with Built-in Blu-ray Player
$815+

Sure, you can get a standalone player for $200 these days, but if you factor that on top of another one of these TVs, you're almost certainly going to be over your $900 price limit. Getting it bundled in with this 32-inch Sharp Aquos display (which also has 1080p resolution to show off Blu-ray in all its glory) is actually a bargain.

9. LG 42LG50 42-inch LCD
$800+

Finding a brand-name 42-inch LCD display with 1080p resolution under $900 can be tough. But LG's 42LG50 fits the bill, delivering just that, along with three HDMI inputs, a 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, and an intelligent sensor that readjusts TV settings based on room conditions automatically. Unlike the Vizio, you won't get 120Hz scan rates, but LG's reputation alone might be worth the substitution for some buyers.

10. Philips 42PFL5603D/27
$500+

If the aesthetics of your new TV are as important to you as the image that fills it, this Philips set should put to rest any home decorating concerns. A layer of clear acrylic extending over glossy black lends the unit a unique and contemporary look that should attract onlookers even when it's turned off. And though the panel specs aren't anything to write home about, the price isn't exactly anything to complain about either.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...-budget-hdtvs/
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
panny plasmas ftw

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
panny plasmas ftw

True.

I bought my 42 inch PZ85U in February based on reviews and what you and Hayabusa had to say about them.

No regrets at all !
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
pat

My Ride: e92 M3 / Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to pat Send a message via Skype™ to pat
I have a panasonic that a friend left with me while he is out of the country. I think I might have to get one soon
Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
I saw a panny plasma at costco for $650 the other day. It was only 720, but still a good price for a 42"