E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2002, 11:16 AM   #1
kbl330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Kenwood KVT-911

I am looking into replacing my head unit with the Kenwood KVT-911 which has both dvd and tv plus touchscreen. Was wondering if any of you has it and if its worth it. I like this one because it has touchscreen plus TV is included. Hows the reception, best pricing?

thanks all
kbl330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:40 PM   #2
theJrod

My Ride: X5-sold, 330i, WRX
I plan to install the same unit when I pick up my 330i this weekend. I'll be ordering from Crutchfield, mainly because I'll be doing the install myself, and they provide some adapters and instructions for free. Their price is around $2300, while some no-name internet places have the unit as low as $1900. I hope to have the unit installed in the next 2 weeks, with pics posted here. I'll let everyone know how the install went.

FYI, The 330i I'm getting will have the HK stereo, and I'll be changing the head unit only - amps/speakers will remain stock for the time being.
theJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:43 PM   #3
kbl330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Great...Can't wait to hear from you...I am also planning to only replace the head unit. I also have the HK system. And i have to say that i am pretty dissapointed on the sound quality coming out of those speakers...
kbl330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:03 PM   #4
theJrod

If you're expecting better sound quality with just a head unit swap, you will be dissapointed. The speakers/amp in most BMWs tend to be the weak points, not the head unit. Buy a head unit for it's features; buy speakers for their sound quality.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:03 PM   #5
theJrod

'02 330i Sport, Premium, Cold, Bi-xenon, Step, HK, 18" V-spokes.

The second day we had it, I took it down to my local stereo shop and had the Kenwood KVT911DVD installed. I was going to do the install myself, but the shop basically discounted the unit so installation was free. I also had them install a converter so I wouldn't lose steering wheel control of the stereo.

The unit closed.

Frodo.

Gandalf.

Sega GT 2002 on the Xbox.

The brains of the KVT911, installed in the left side of the trunk.

My next must have mods are tinted windows, brake pads and aluminum trim.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
DamUTRIPPIN

My Ride: E60 530i
Send a message via AIM to DamUTRIPPIN
My brother has the Kenwood 911 in his Lexus. It's pretty DOPE if you ask me!

The only downside so far... No MP3!
DamUTRIPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 05:09 PM   #7
theJrod

Ya, MP3 would be nice - but it's easy to add on a CD changer that will play them.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:14 PM   #8
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
KVT-911 vs KVT-M700

Hi folks,

I've been contemplating over the Kenwood KVT-911DVD or the
KVT-M700.

I know the 911 has a built in DVD player and whatnot, but I'm paranoid about having to manually lower the screen and then it automatically retracts. Considering the angle at which it sits on the dash (fairly high up), I'm afraid I'd end up breaking it one day. Actually at the Tweeter store that had a demo, I was able to lower the screen JUST enough to cause it to start retracting, but it wasn't completely down, causing the damn motor to try and close it all the way...stupid design if you ask me.

With that said, the M700 has everything BUT the DVD player functionality (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong). It automaticaly lowers AND retracts back in. I figure with the $1000 I save, I could buy their 10 disk DVD/CD changer unit which would take care of both types of sources and allow me to load 10 DVDs if I ever felt like watching 10 different movies at a time...

Anyone have the M700 in their setup? I remember Bender having a pic in one of his posts. Anyone else?

Also, regarding DVD movie control - does anyone know if using the DVD changer with the Kenwood indash unit (with touch screen controls) allow you to control the DVD player through the touch screen interface? IE: would I STILL need to mount the DVD remote control somewhere and use that to control playback?
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 06:31 PM   #9
theJrod

I'm fairly sure the M700 does not include a TV tuner, while the 911DVD does. The screen on the 911 is very sturdy, and I don't forsee any problems with it only having motorized extension, not flip.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:12 PM   #10
325i-Vizon
O.D.

My Ride: 2010 335i
Send a message via AIM to 325i-Vizon Send a message via Yahoo to 325i-Vizon
i say you...

i say you go with a screen thats flush with the dash....im gettin a custom one! very sweet, sorta like the nav-tv bmw sells but its not nav-tv (too expensive)
Old 09-24-2002, 04:27 PM   #11
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
You're right - I misread the specs, there's an optional TV tuner that Kenwood sells just for the m700..(sighs)

I wasn't too concerned w/ TV capabilities - but since we're on the subject, how is the reception? Do the attenaes the 911 comes w/ cut it?

Anyway, I'm still looking at the m700 as an option. As I mentioned, I could get the 10 disc DVD changer for another grand, at which point I'd have that and CD sources taken care of. Then all I"d need is the Kenwood nav and I'd be pimpin

Quote:
Originally posted by theJrod
I'm fairly sure the M700 does not include a TV tuner, while the 911DVD does. The screen on the 911 is very sturdy, and I don't forsee any problems with it only having motorized extension, not flip.
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:56 PM   #12
theJrod

TV reception is just OK, could be better. I still haven't figured out where exactly my installer mounted the antennas (they're not visible). I'm thinking if I put them on the rear window where they're meant to be, reception would be better. The only problem being I do plan to tint my windows.
I'm in the Seattle area, and the closer I get to downtown, the better the reception.
I usually can get 1 watch-able channel wherever I'm at, while sometimes I have 4-6 (some at excellent quality).
Old 09-25-2002, 05:13 AM   #13
e46boy
call me kev :D

My Ride: '08 Lexus GS460
Send a message via AIM to e46boy
I have the kenwood 911 as well.. just got them installed too totally recommended... although i wish the tv reception are better.. both are mounted on the front windsheild at the corners

and my amp fits perfectly under passenger's chair so i can just temporarily add a ps2 in there just for some long trip and unplug them later...

my installer said some ppl compalined that they lose tv reception when the rear defroster on.. so they moutned both on front instead of front/rear combo.

Bye bye E46, hello new car :D
e46boy is offline   Reply With Quote