E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 11:59 PM   #1
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
speaker install HELP!

Ok I took off my door panel, and my diamond audio mids fit in the stock location perfectly without modifications to the door panel. However, the holes for the speaker to connect to the panel do not reach & line up to the panels holes.. how do I screw in the speaker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1006.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	46030  
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:01 AM   #2
Delirium
yo mama

secondly, how the hell do I install the Diamond Audio tweeters? They sure are not going to fit inside the stock tweeter housing that get screwed in with the side mirrors. the stock tweeter is like 1 inch! How do I get the Diamond Audio tweeter to stay suspended in the black triangle thing when I cant use the stock housing & the Diamond Audio tweeter seems fairly large!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1004.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	46032  
Old 03-19-2003, 12:03 AM   #3
Delirium
yo mama

The diamond audio midbass is the same diameter as the factory speaker & it is even a little more shallow!!!

It only does not have the 3 prongs sticking out of it to reach the mounting holes... what to do??!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1005.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	46034  
Old 03-19-2003, 12:05 AM   #4
Delirium
yo mama

you see the diamond fits Perfectly!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1007.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	46039  
Old 03-19-2003, 12:23 AM   #5
Tex323i

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
nice pics, delirium...those look really nice. i wonder if we'll still have to build a sort of 'housing' for the speaker, even though it fits like a glove. how else could we attach it to the brackets? don't know...hope we get an answer here...

as far as the tweets go, are they too big for the bmw housing, or just no easy was to suspend them? interesting developments... someone help us!! :-)
Old 03-19-2003, 12:34 AM   #6
Delirium
yo mama

Ok, I just tried to suspend the tweeter in the foam thing & since the DAT (diamond audio technologies) tweeter was so big, it fits really snugly in the foamy stuff in the tweeter housing... that problem is solved... now for the mid, I think either a plywood bracket, or plywood with some metal or fiberglass brackets will do, but that is quite a fab for such a small job.. I think metal braces would work better, but I dont know what kind to use or where to get them...
Old 03-19-2003, 12:37 PM   #7
zameus

My Ride: 2000 328i
Delirium, don't even tell me you got the Diamond 6" midranges and they fit without modifying the door panels. I just bought 5 1/4" ers because I didn't want to mess with that. If the 6ers would have fit...arghhhh.

Oh well, here's what I would do re: fitting them in (see pic). you can attach the new speaker to this and then line it up with the stock bolt locations. I would use mdf or plywood (as thick as you have room for. Obviously cut outs around the edge where the door panel connections go would be neccessary. Make yourself a couple paper templates first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speakerfit.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	46157  

Last edited by zameus; 03-19-2003 at 12:43 PM.
zameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
Delirium
yo mama

zameus: Yes they do fit perfectly, the diameter is almost exactly the same as the stock speaker, 160mm. its maybe 1/2 mm smaller, which is TINY! I was going to make a plywood ring like the one you posted, except with small "fins" to extend out to the factory screws.

I found a better solution, im going to use string to hold the speaker in place, it sounds funny, but my preliminary test have been very sucessful. Tight fit & its non evasive & no fabrication needed.

If the speaker had to be held up in place, then obviouly a trim ring will have to be made, but the door panel already has a circle to seal the speaker & it has 3 posts to hold the speaker in place. So all the string has to do is hold the speaker flat, its not really holding the speaker up..

I sent some pictures to Tex, but I dont have them on me, maybe Tex can post them for me here or I can post it later.

Note: the string will only work if you have a perfect fit already in the stock location becasue the 3 posts will hold it in place. If you have a 5 1/4", then you will need a trim ring to seal the speaker & also to mount it. Get the 6.5" diamond, its actually a 160mm with a trim ring, but you dont use their trim ring. its almost as if the diamonds were made for the E46. The mounting depth is a little less than the stock speaker too...

This is my first set of comps, & it has a vent on the bottom of the magnet like a subwoofer, how much clearance does it need?
Old 03-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
Delirium
yo mama

in this picture, the red circled areas are the 3 posts that, as you can see, hold the speaker in place perfectly. the green is supposed to be tightly wrapped string that will hold the speaker flat!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dat.gif
Views:	351
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	46158  
Old 03-19-2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Delirium
yo mama

it was a late night out of the box thinking idea... but it turned out so well, Im gong to go with it.. anyone see any drawbacks?
Old 03-19-2003, 01:19 PM   #11
zameus

damn, maybe I'll try to change my order. Might be too late though, I think the 5 1/4 already shipped.

The string sounds fine for now but once the speakers start pounding,road bumps, hot and cold, etc don't you think the string will stretch a bit over time and you'll end up with some rattling? You might have better luck with wire than string but maybe a plate would work out for the best. I don't know.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:37 PM   #12
Tex323i

hey guys...yeah, zameus, i'd change that order if you can! those 6" sound AMAZING!!! i'm still not totally convinced about the string, though it sounds like one hell of a creative attempt by delirium. i'm scared of the vibration that the spk will put out at high decibal levels, as well as bumps in the road, etc... That plate looks like the perfect solution...access to a shop of some sort should solve that problem pretty fast. delirium, thanks again for posting all this. i need to get home so i can post your pics up on the forum...
Old 03-19-2003, 01:43 PM   #13
Delirium
yo mama

I understand you guys concern with the string, but its quick & easy. I am going to go this route because it is quick & easy & if you could see it, you would understand how secure it is. I picked up the entire door panel by the speaker magnet, which was held on with thread, not even string. Then I turned the door panel upside down & sideways & the speaker is stuck there really good. I wish you guys could see it first hand. I dont think I'll have problems with the string (hopefully)... if it streches, its easy to redo, but I doubt that will be a problem.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:31 PM   #14
zameus

ok, good luck then and let us know how it works out. I changed my order about 5 minutes. I'll have to refuse the first delivery and they should be sending out the 6 inchers immediately providing they have them in the NY warehouse. Which should be quick if they do since I'm in MA. Damn, I shouldn't be in such a rush but I can't wait to get these mothers in.

What did you guys go with for amps? Any rear fill?

I have an Alpine f540 on the way. I'm thinking about getting a couple m-series components Diamonds for the rear deck and not using the tweeters. I know they make a package specifically for rear fill but it seems like too much $ for what it is. Not to mention I can't find the HEX version online anywhere.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 AM   #15
Delirium
yo mama

Here are some pics of my progress tonight. The speaker is secured to the panel!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0441.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	46317  
Old 03-20-2003, 01:29 AM   #16
Delirium
yo mama

My Spiderman string brackets.

Spiderman is in no way affiliated to me or this project. Spiderman trademark of Marvel Comics. Delirium String bracket patent pending. LOL.. yeah it looks ghetto.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0444.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	46318  
Old 03-20-2003, 01:31 AM   #17
Delirium
yo mama

Yes believe it or not the String Bracket is strong & tight. Sealed well too! Dont waste your time & money on MDF brackets...

the string is nylon, better than cotton.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0445.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	46319  
Old 03-20-2003, 01:58 AM   #18
Hota

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
The ring with the 3 holes around the factory HK woofer is removable!

You should have taken it off of the original woofer and screwed your Diamond Audio speakers into them!

I hope your string concept holds up...

E46 M3 Ti Silver/Imola
Created 18 June 2002

Hota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:08 AM   #19
Tex323i

nice work delirium...hell, if the string works, then more power to ya! now...how does it SOUND??? :-)
Old 03-20-2003, 02:11 AM   #20
Delirium
yo mama

Thanks! I have not installed it yet... still have a ways to go with that part...