E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Enco B046 - Dynavin Clone

692K views 2K replies 279 participants last post by  twinturbos 
#1 ·
Normally I would disregard this, but the price difference is just too huge to ignore. Has anyone tried the Enco B046?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/519290879/Android_car_dvd_player_pc_system.html

I order through Alibaba all the time at work and have had good experiences trading through them.

It looks like an exact clone of the Dynavin Android, for 1/3 of the price. My initial reaction was to disregard it, but if it runs Android and a 720Mhz Arm, then we know it is operationally solid. Only thing I am worried about is the screen and/or amp, if they are different at all.

Has anyone tried this unit? It looks similar enough to have been made in the same factory. For $320 (or $450 for Android version) it might be worth a gamble.

See less See more
#1,982 · (Edited)
jchuillier: I wish I could help you with your sound issue, but my car doesn't have the factory nav, so I don't know how it all goes together. From reading your posts, I don't think the no sound issue is a problem with the stereo so much as it is with how it's currently connected. I don't know if you have all of the cables you need, or if there's something missing. I suspect something is missing.

An update to the Paypal refund request, that is not a dispute. I have until February 5th to file a dispute. This is just a way of lighting a fire under the ass of the Enco people, Charles in particular. It did, and I got a response pretty quickly. His response is as follows:

Charles said:
please canble your dispute !

Becuase I have promissed you that we will send a software to you update your system this week!!

I will do that 100% !

1, update system software
2, map card

please cancle dispute right now!

I will do that 100%

thanks!

Charles
I don't know how he's going to give me a system software update, but if they have a way to perform an update v(ia the SD Card maybe?), that will solve everything.

If not, or if he runs out of time, I'll be escalating it to a Paypal dispute. Either way, I'm not sitting here going, "Oh man, I wish I had a Dynavin!"

#1,997 ·
Via the forum link. I had trouble with it on the external SD card, but was able to make it work fine from the "internal" sd at /mnt/sdcard.

Here was the process I used with success:

1. Downloaded the file.
2. Renamed it to update.zip
3. Used ES File Explorer to move it from a LAN SMB share to /mnt/sdcard
4. Went to Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now
5. Watched it reboot, go through two different Android load screens, then the progress bar started as the Droid robot held a crystal-ball looking thing...
6. It finished up, rebooted. Rooted.

Here's the bad news:
I was able to inject my custom framework.jar into /system/framework, and while it did fix the reported speed issue, Google Navigation still doesn't work. There's a separate problem afoot. Multiple GPS applications show that I'm getting a lock on anywhere from 14 to 22 satellites, so there's no reason Google Navigation should be "Searching for GPS..."

With root, though? It will get fixed.

More good news, though... Now, you can put a reboot widget on your desktop. You can also run Adaway.

#1,999 ·
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. After doing some research, there may be a bug in Google Navigation. It seems quite a few people are having this problem, on a variety of devices.

I'm about 95% convinced that other GPS software would work flawlessly now. Except for the version of iGO that came with the thing, because there's something wrong with it.

#2,000 ·
Hello to all community,
This is my first post.
I my must thank you all for all the information that you share.
I am searching to buy a new radio for my touring and i have read all the available information about all units available on the market,
i end up here, in my opinion this new Enco unit have all that i search in a radio and you guys are providing excelent tips and sharing your thoughts which help me a lot on my decision.
But i have one question:
There isn't anybody with the new unit thinking in making a youtube video???
That would be awesome to see this unit working.
Please consider that and hope in the near future i can help you guys in some troubleshoots on this unit!!!
Keep the good work.
Regards

#2,005 ·
Besides that....found my sound problem !!!

The long cable is dead....I found in the shipment that they have also sent 2 short cables, 1 with the 17 pins connector and 1 with the 40 pins connector, I put the unit in the trunk, connected the short cable and voila....

So in the same 24 hours we have root and I have sound....I should quickly play the lottery....

#2,008 ·
Perfect :)

Any chance you could do me the biggest favour and take a pic of the radio end connector and also how the connector is wired (there should be a picture on top of the head actual unit explaining where each wire goes)?

Reason I ask is I have a Dynavin currently with the long Fakra cable and I have a hunch it is the same cable used between all these systems :)

#2,011 · (Edited)
Thanks jchuillier,

Here is the Dynavin sticker - looks fairly similar however I do know on the Dynavin if you plug in the black connector and look at the back of the unit, the yellow wire (battery power) would be the first wire on the top coming from the right hand side whereas on your connector it seems to be the pink wire (your first pic) so the Fakra cables may indeed be wired different..

Alos did you get right angled USB leads with the unit or did you purchase those seperately??

Attachments

#2,012 ·
It gets more.....complicated

I had a very long chat with Charles on skype.

It turns out that he's sent the softare update to painbreak, he's finished some installation instructions for the update so that's the good news.

The bad news is the definition of "customer service".

As you know I had no sound with the unit with the long cable and when I tried with the short cable it worked, so it's definitely a cable problem, either a short circuit, a bad wiring, it can happen and I'm not willing to scream murder.

I sent a mail to Charles about this problem and got no reply, after 5 days I started a Paypal complain ang got a reply within 1 hour, now we have moved along the complain and I finally sent a message to szenco this morning through the paypal system to leave a trace saying that I had narrowed down the problem to the cable, that they shoild send me a new cable and once I have it I would immediatly cancel my complain.

the conversation with Charles was going smoothly up to the moment when he told me that I had to cancel the complain BEFORE he would send the cable, and since the ONLY way for me to get their attention and a reply was to use the paypal complain I am not ready to give up this weapon yet, I cannot imagine what would happen now if I haid paid with Western Union as Charles insisted I did upon purchase.

I tried explaining to him that :

1) I paid for the long cable
2) It was dead on arrival
3) They should have checked it before sending it

But he kept on telling me that "his boss" (whomever that might be) demanded that I cancel the complain before they send me the cable, I told him politely that it was HIS fault if the cable was dead and that since I had paid for a working system (with the cable) i would cancel my complain when I had a working system, I explained to him that I put his in writing on the paypal site so that there would be a trace of that in case i didn't cancel my complain after having received the cable.

His final reply was to tell me to send the COMPLETE unit back to China (at my expense) and that they would refund my money afterwards.

I don't want to get impolite but you can all imagine how I can feel about such business behaviour, they sent me a defective system, I find the dead component for them and yet they want me to take a $70 charge (shipping) and a $650 risk by cancelling the only weapon I have because they don't want to send me a $20 cable.

So in any case that's where we are now, the unit can be rooted thanks to everybody's efforts, I have sound but "the boss" in china is not ready to send me a $20 replacement cable.

The bottom line for me is as follows.

1) Now that it is rooted it will be a great device
2) These people can ABSOLUTELY NOT be trusted
3) Use paypal to buy and use the complain system, it is the ONLY way to get their attention

I told Charles I would explain the situation there as I feel that transparency is the most efficient way to deal with his boss and hopefully before buying anything from them people will ask the relevant questions.

I knew since the beggining that there would be no warranty on this unit but I expected at least to get a WORKING system, apparently they are not able to provide that, OK, it can happen, anybody can have a bad wiring, but their refusal to admit it and solve the problem by sending a $20 (I don't even want to speculate on how much it actually costs them) part is really annoying, I am not really confident that if the screen breaks down in 6 months during the warranty period they will fulfill their after sales obligations....

I will keep you guys informed on the follow up and we'll see what happens...for those interested I have the complete log of the skype conversation...

#2,014 ·
It gets more.....complicated
That's definitely the downside to this, is that customer support is extremely lacking. I think it's a combination of the language barrier, and that given the distance, extreme cost of shipping, and the chance the radio will sit in customs forever and not reach its destination, they feel like we're not empowered enough to demand service.

That said, I did receive the update.zip from Charles last night. It's about 150MB, and I will host it somewhere for the community. However, given that I now have root, and I was able to get the GetSpeed() function corrected in framework.jar on my own, I'm hesitant to apply the update at this moment.

Also, the first thing Charles did when talking on Skype was asked me to cancel the Paypal dispute. I explained to him that it's not a dispute, it was a partial refund request, and that when he declined it, it's as good as canceled. I have not elevated it to a dispute, but that option is available to me, to protect my financial investment.

At that point, he sent me the zip file.

jchuillier: I think your best bet is going to be testing that long cable, figuring out what part of it is bad, and replacing the individual wire(s) along the run. You shouldn't have to, they should send you out a new cable, but it's got to be easier than trying to leverage them into sending you a new one.

#2,020 ·
I wouldn't recommend the Enco or the Dynavin radio to someone who isn't comfortable tinkering. Neither one is going to give you a seamless, frustration-less experience. There's a level of comprehension that the user needs to have, in order to understand what's going on internally with these radios.

The Enco especially so, because we don't have Jeff to rely on. I mean, we have Charles, but... aaay, whatchagonnado, ah?

#2,023 ·
I'm not sure it will work on your radio, since it's a different Android board. :( But, we're obviously on to the method of updating necessary to acquire root.

Do you have SuperUser installed? What does it say?

#2,026 ·
What happens if you try to update su from within SuperUser? If you don't have root, it'll get stuck on "getting root-access...."

Sometimes, even without root, it says it succeeds, so update SU twice to make sure it's working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.