Prob just another m54 swap.. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
Jetpilot123

My Ride: 323Ci
Prob just another m54 swap..

Hello all,
First off let me say that this is my first post here and I searched the screen off of my media devices on this and while I've learned a great deal on this swap I am still left with a few questions which is why I've decided to start a thread.
First the basics. I've got a 2000 323Ci 5sp and recently blew a head gasket. I decided to re power with an m54b30 from an 04 Z4 auto. I've also purchased a set of eBay headers to compliment. The m54b30 came complete, from exhaust manifolds to the throttle body and from serpentine belt to complete wiring harness and connectors. I'd prefer to keep everything 3.0 as much as possible. I know my MS42 is the problem. So my questions start with..

1) If I decide to convert to MS43, do I only need a DBW accelerator pedal and the DME to finish the conversion? Will a flash on the MS43 take care of the ews, vin coding and all that BS or do I need a key, tumbler, locks and so on..?
2) What is everyone doing with the fuel system conversion? Do I just connect my feed line to the M54 fuel rail and leave my old return line swingin'? Bit lost there..
3)If I decide to run this engine on my MS42 for now, will I be able to flash my DME to a 328 and correct CEL and anything else with the purchase of the interface and software that's available on eBay for $50 or less?.. Amateur question I know..
And lastly, is the 04 Z4 MS43 or 45?
So that's where I am now. I finished up in the garage tonight with the M52 pulled and the 54 on the stand for last minute shakedown before install. I hope to finish this up this week. If you guys see anything I may have missed please let me know. And thanks in advance. You help here is greatly appreciated here.
Jetpilot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Jetpilot123

My Ride: 323Ci
You guys suck. Just sayin'
Jetpilot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
e46uz

My Ride: E46
Probably because you are asking questions that have can be answered by searching the web.
e46uz is offline   Reply With Quote