E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Replacing subframe bushes: Adelaide

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  YYCZHP 
#1 ·
Hey all

my car is in having the subframe reinforcement done. The rear subframe is out, so i figured now is an opportune time to replace the bushes. I have some AKG 90a bushes to go in.

The crash repairer cant fit the bushes, so they got some guys across the road to quote on it. $600 they want. to press 4 bushes. This seems a bit steep to me.

Anyone had this done, if so where? How much did you pay? i can probably get the subframe on a trailer or something and take it elsewhere. Although they are saying they wont honor the warranty of the repair if these bushes go in (they reckon they are a lot stiffer, but they are a street poly bush - should be ok) - so i may just give it a miss if that's how much it's going to cost.

#2 ·
I'm having my subframe done by BMW AU. They're replacing the entire subframe which comes complete with bushes. Why not just use OEM bushes so your warranty isn't voided. Unless you track your car regularly the increase in NVH makes poly bushes an uncomfortable option. Just my opinion.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
yeah fair enough too, depends on the bush i guess. Some poly bushes are horrible. These are *supposed* to be ok.

i may just give it a miss, keep the bushes to one side and do them down the track if it needs to be done. the existing ones are in pretty good condition for now. Just be nice to get them done while the rear end of the car is out you know.

#10 ·
wow that's pretty steep :( Probably not worth it then Kai. So are they saying to replace any bushes it's going to cost $600 for labor? Sounds pretty ridiculous! I'd be inclined to ask BM Wise if they know anyone who can push in/out bushes for cheaper. I know those guys pretty well now.

#17 ·
That's outrageous, if the sub-frame is already out, then it's a pretty simple job. Maybe 1 hour, ~$100, if the sub-frame wasn't out already, I could see someone quoting that. It's quite a pain in the ass to replace them from scratch. I would definitely use the opportunity to replace them now while it's apart, no matter what bushes you choose.

#18 ·
That is absolutely insane to press 4 bushings. This past summer I had to get a gear pressed out of a dirt bike clutch and I think they charged me $20. As for putting it back in, threw the gear in the freezer for 45min and the clutch basket in the oven on low. Popped right in and then when the metals expand and contract it forms a perfect fit. Not sure if the bushing have the same properties but for $600.....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.