E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Losing a lot of oil

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  fonzie 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've been putting this off long enough. My car has been losing a lot of oil and it is finally time to correct the problem.

I have attached some pictures to show you some of the leaks. From my research it appears that I should be replacing the Valve Cover Gasket and likely the CCV as well. I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt to do the Vanos while its already exposed. My car has 97k miles on it.

Is there anything else that I should be replacing like hoses for the oil system? Part numbers for everything I need would be incredibly useful.

Thanks for the input

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Phoopsta I had already replaced the Oil Filter Housing Gasket at 69k miles. But I will definitely check those hoses that you mentioned. Do yo have part numbers?

Sprintman I am using the official iNNEr synthetic oil.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#8 ·
glhx

does it look like the valve cover could be cracked on mine by looking at those pictures?

I am going to be purchasing the parts this weekend so I want to know what else may be purchased and replaced while the car is already opened up.

So far I'm looking at:
VCG
CCV
and possibly the VANOS seals

what about specific hose part numbers?

#9 · (Edited)
My valve cover problem could only be seen from the inside of the valve cover. It is a hairline crack that gets bigger as the plastic expands with heat. Then leaks oil

I replaced mine...it still leaked so I took it back off and that's when I found it. Really had to look hard to spot it

Plus........something else I want to point out that I've not seen anyone mention.
This valve cover when new has straight gasket mounting surfaces.

As it gets older.......where the bolts go.....it dips down and has a warped look to it. This could be a sealing problem a cheaper gasket can't solve that an oem gasket can. Check it with a straight edge.

I taped mine up on the inside. Then took a 12" block sander with some 400-600 grit paper and filed it back down straight and flat.......... I taped it so sanding dust wouldn't get in there,

Not the crack is obvious.

#10 ·
Check the Exhaust Camshaft Sensor connection, it's directly over the oil spot on the radiator hose. I replaced the sensor the first few months of ownership and I did not replace the fastener which is highly recommended. As others had said, VCG or cracked VC. BTW, the OFHG is on the other side of the engine but it likely needs replaced.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm finally getting around to doing this and I have my car opened up right now.

I can only replace the VCG at moment and will be doing the vanos at a later date. I wanted to know if I would have to replace the valve cover gasket again, when I eventually work on the vanos. I don't foresee it being much further in the future... Maybe 5 to 8k miles from now (maximum)

#12 · (Edited)
You can usually reuse a recent VCG. But be prepared. Maybe have one sourced beforehand at a local auto parts store or BMW dealer just in case?

Also consider replacing, or keep an eye on, any hoses or rubber components that have been soaked with oil from that leak. Oil eats rubber over time when given heat as an appetite inducer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.