E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Trunk lights????????

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  redrider423 
#1 ·
This may be silly but it drives me nuts. 04 330ci trunks lights do not come on when the trunk is open. If I press on the panel they will light up individually. It feels like they are supposed to be pressed to make contact with the contacts I've took the panel off a dozen times in vain. Nothing appears to be broken. I would love for them to come on when you open the trunk. It's sucks using one hand to turn on the light and the other for the task at hand.

#2 ·
Update: The contacts for the lights were indeed broken after a tear down. Both sides had hairline cracks. Which baffled me? I really don't understand how that affected the operation. Both sides had continuity. In the end I replaced the contacts and now they work as designed.

#3 ·
Thought I had this problem fixed but it returned. After a lot of wire checking I found it was shorted to ground again. I took the trunk lining off. The carpeted section and this is what I found.

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive design Material property Photography

Yellow Logo Jersey

This also explains why my trunk would randomly unlatch on its own. ESP being that this is the wiring connector for the lock solenoid.

#4 ·
:thumbsup: Thanks for the post. I have the same problem, but haven't got around to diagnosing it yet. Now I know where to look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.