E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Forced Induction... and the new era

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  stimpee 
#1 ·
It's about time e46 Fanatics made a FI forumn...:banghead:

For those looking to go FI in the near future you have to be aware of the new Twin-Screw compressor in development.

This is more closer to a "roots" style supercharger than it is a centerfugal supercharger. It is about as costly as a turbo but the reliability is sound. Thats why Mercedes and Ford and Buick all use Roots style in productions cars. This kit in 1 better ..!!

John Conforti (the master) is the one who designed the software for these new kits... here is the link:

http://www.eurosporthighperformance.com/supercharger.html

#4 ·
tim330i said:
a bunch of different tuners have been trying this idea and have dropped it....makes me wonder why.

Tim
Packaging!

A positive displacement blower is the most difficult to package under the hood of a tightly packed E46 because it is larger than a centrifugal supercharger. The pushrod crowd has traditionally mounted a positive displacement blower on top of the lower intake in the lifter valley between the cylinder heads at the expense of intercooling. In recent history, Ford managed to put an intercooled Roots blower in the lifter valley of the 3.8 V6 Thunderbird SC by routing the outlet out the back of the case and around the motor to the front of the car. Cooled air then entered the intake manifold just in front of the blower. This method used up a ton of space in the T-Bird but the car had space to spare with that long hood.

FWIW, I have an Eaton M60 blower from alow milage T-Bird that I was going to retrofit to my old E28. Removing the AC created gobs of space under the block on the passenger side. I sold the car before I was motivated to start making brackets. One of these days I'll pick up a nice E12 and boost the snot out of it.

Ed

#6 ·
teamdfl said:
Packaging!

A positive displacement blower is the most difficult to package under the hood of a tightly packed E46 because it is larger than a centrifugal supercharger. The pushrod crowd has traditionally mounted a positive displacement blower on top of the lower intake in the lifter valley between the cylinder heads at the expense of intercooling. In recent history, Ford managed to put an intercooled Roots blower in the lifter valley of the 3.8 V6 Thunderbird SC by routing the outlet out the back of the case and around the motor to the front of the car. Cooled air then entered the intake manifold just in front of the blower. This method used up a ton of space in the T-Bird but the car had space to spare with that long hood.

FWIW, I have an Eaton M60 blower from alow milage T-Bird that I was going to retrofit to my old E28. Removing the AC created gobs of space under the block on the passenger side. I sold the car before I was motivated to start making brackets. One of these days I'll pick up a nice E12 and boost the snot out of it.

Ed

Exactly right. The fab process is ridiculous. Notice the Stillen blower on the 350z. They had to use a powerbuldge just to get it to fit...

#7 ·
tim330i said:
a bunch of different tuners have been trying this idea and have dropped it....makes me wonder why.

Tim
They dropped it because it is hard as hell to do. I have been working on mine for 2.5 years, and have only been running for about 7 months.

If I actually had to PAY myself for the time it took to do this, I would have given up LONG ago.

Show me some good tuning/software options for the E46, and you may see a kit available sooner than you think!!

#9 ·
Shortshift said:
Hello Stimpee :hi:

Quick question, the Twin-Screw design is a clutchless design correct ..?
Correct. There are some prototypes by the compressor manufacturers that are using clutches, but typically they do not use them yet.

The system uses a bypass valve to reduce parasitic drag of the compressor in off-boost driving.

If anyone is curious as to how it feels, send me an email and stop by. I am in northeastern MD, near the DE border.

My car just feels like it has a significantly larger engine in it!

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.