E46 Fanatics Forum banner

ESS TS2 OBC Fuel Correction

15K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  lab rat 
#1 ·
I doubt that the ESS TS2 is able to provide a modified fuel injection pulse signal to the OBC so that it could accurately calculate MPG, but I thought that I would ask. Anyone know? I'ld e-mail ESS, but I suspect that others would want to know as well.

The reason I want an OBC that functions properly is the reason I want an ESS TS; keep the vehicle looking and operating like stock.

#4 ·
Same here. My OBC is consistently off by 30%... would be nice to have it corrected.

#22 ·
Who has adjusted it through the instrument cluster?
I would give it a shot. However, my car isn't here right now.

For those that would like to try it, I found this from Google search. Seems like you need to use Test 19 to unlock the tests, then enter into Test 20 and then change the correction factor.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-61718.html

From what I understand, it is correction factor based. So, X.XX (One . Tenths Hundredths). Similar to that of a dyno.

So go fill up your gas tanks at the gas station. Reset the OBC's MPG readout on the instrument cluster and the odometer mileage. Drive around the way you usually do until you have consumed about 50-75% of your gas tank. Go back to the gas station and refill your gas tank. Then it is a two step process.

1) Read out what the OBC says the MPG is.
2) Manually calculate what your MPG from the odometer mileage divide by the amount of gas you put in your car.

You will find that the MPG you calculate will be lower than what the OBC says. I am assuming that the correction factor is percentage based.

Correction Factor = 1 - [(OBC Readout - Calculated MPG)/Calculated MPG]

Can anyone confirm this hypothesis? My car isn't with me at the current moment. Thanks.

#24 ·
The correction factor is in the instrument cluster, not the OBC. So using what you said, I am trying to change how the instrument cluster calculates the data off the CAN bus to display to the driver. What am I missing here?

In any case, I'll try this when I get my car back. Although I do have INPA to try it with if this doesn't work.

Have fun with your OBDI. :)

#36 ·
I haven't found anything I can do. I would really like my OBC to function as designed; I'm willing to pay for the option, but can't find a way to do it. It's one of the unadvertised trade-offs you have to put up with when you go FI.

#40 ·
Anybody ever have success in finding a solution?

If the correction factor isn't available in the instrument cluster like it is in other BMW models then I guess the only option is making an adjustment in the DME, but as AJ points out, with MS45 DME's this can be risky or down-right buggy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.