E46 Fanatics Forum banner

well...i cant get rims...anything else?

5K views 65 replies 32 participants last post by  BavLar 
#1 ·
my mother said i cant get rims becuase she needs to see my semester grades first:censor:

with all due respect..i think i should be able to purchase them.. there is a long story behind it.. so long..

1. i earned the money myself by getting good grades.
2. they said they wouldnt pay for new tires(WE JUST GOT new ones with the car)
3. thus. i have been saving up 500 more dollars just for tires..
4. i earned the money, and i should be able to buy it..
5. Earning to get the money and earning to get the rims...kinda..

there is more..

so what should i go for if she wont let me get rims?

i have about $1300 bucks ALL earned by hard word in school...

1. MTech2 body kit from Tischer for 1000bucks
2. CAI from modbargains for 219bucks
3. lowering kit.. (i have no clue..im clueless on dropping cars)
4. CSL lip spoiler 129bucks
5. e46 M3 style side mirrors 240bucks
6. alluminum front strut bar 139bucks
7. keep saving up and wait for rims

or anyother suggesttions...

See less See more
#8 ·
I always put the money in the bank..i am aactaully going right now to make a 650 dollar deposit..

how did you earn th emoney by doing well in school? Do your parents give you financial incentives to do well in school? If so, they should be able to tell you what to do with the cash...

That said, if its your own money, i would come up with a logical reason why they should let you get them. If you present it like an adult, they will probably treat you like one and let you spend your money on toys :)
yeahh..i do, but haha.. i spend way too much time on these forums that i dont study or do hw.:tsk: and its got me addicted..haha..

my dad really really wants me to get the rims, but my mom just keeps thinking of more ways to "motivate" me to get good grades...

#6 ·
how did you earn th emoney by doing well in school? Do your parents give you financial incentives to do well in school? If so, they should be able to tell you what to do with the cash...

That said, if its your own money, i would come up with a logical reason why they should let you get them. If you present it like an adult, they will probably treat you like one and let you spend your money on toys :)

#7 · (Edited)
I'd do suspension first. You can get a set of KW V2's under your budget from Khoalty. But you wouldn't have money left for install, RSM's and alignment.

Go with a H&R Cupkit, $679 most likely, plus install, alignement and RSMs. Well under your budget.

If you really want rims, save up for rims. Why do we decide for you?

edit: Rule out the mtech 2 kit, you don't have enough to paint it.

#12 ·
honestly dude, tell your mom that you will get good grades for mods rather than cash. Ask her for wheels since you did well this time and a body kit if you get straight a's second semester :thumbup:

#13 ·
no see. the cash accumulates, which i then go and spend on mods..

and this christmas im gonna ask for a lot of e46 stuff..but gonna buy some rims for myself as well

cuz she said by then, she will know if i made honor roll...hope fully i do...

#15 ·
For lower the car, you can go several routes. Most affordable will be a set of springs but will require that you get shocks down the line. The better option is a spring/shock matched combo which replaces both the springs and shocks with upgraded versions. You can also do coilovers but IMO it'd be overkill for your street setup. Here are some options:

Springs
H&R Sport

H&R Race

Eibach Pro Kit

Eibach Sport Line

Spring/Shock Combo

H&R Cup Kit

Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit Combo

#20 ·
I sort of see the wisdom of your parents action... sorta.

Since mom won't let you work...

If you had a real job, it might (would) detract from your study time.

They understand that you have a need for $, but that they're denying you the opportunity to earn $... so they compensate you. Their priority is making sure that you're well educated... can't fault them there.

BUT... once the money is in your hands... it's yours.

Of course, you should be saving for emergency expenses. If this is YOUR car and it craps out, then YOU should have the money for repairs. (Can't go hitting up mom and dad to bail you out.) Because at that point, your mom and dad have every right to say "too bad you opted to install $1,500 worth of mods and don't have anything left to cover repair costs."

So, personally I'd have a couple of grand sitting in a money market account for the unforeseen breakdown before I started thinking about mods.

#25 · (Edited)
Buy the new rims, sell the old ones for cash. Anything left over, get some swaybars.

I agree with 325myAZ. Once they pay you, the money is yours to do with as you please. No strings attached.

#26 ·
Hahaha.. THis is some funny ish. Get good grades....get paid..haha. How about in my situation: Get bad grades...find a new home?" well not quiet. But negative reinforcement worked for me especially knowing my parents were workers. Southpaw, go to school, save your money and worry about rims and mods when you start college or work. The girls at your highschool already love your whip...not many 17-18 year olds drive bimmers. Also stay away from this forum until your homework is done...haha. I sound like your mother dont I?

#27 ·
Just be lucky u have a 3-Series...most people never had one at your age, let alone MAY NEVER have one in their entire life. Your lucky you have one...I drove a 1998 Toyota Sienna for 2 years. Just listen to your parents, if they say "Wait till we see your grades", then wait and prove to them instead of pushing it. They've already done u a favor buy getting u a ride. This may sound like a lecture, but its the straight truth brotha.
Im 19 btw ftw

#28 ·
yeah..thanks alot you guys..

and i turned 16 in august.. but ive been driving since i was 7..and ive been obsessed with cars since iwas born..

and acutally my having a e46 is nothing. where i go to school, a TON of celeberty's kids go there.. the owner of Oakley sunglasses, Rubios baja grille, the manager of U2, the owner of so many companies, the owner of Aeromexico, so many NFL people...they are ALL Loaded..these kids get brand new E350s, my friend who isnt even 16 said his dad just ordered an E92 M3 for him..ther are 760s, Escalades, even 3 maybachs OWNED BY KIDS... but im probobly the most car fanatical kid at my school and i want to be known as "the kid with the really really sick BMW" im already the kid with the loudest car at school. haha..

thanks guys..it means alot..also thank you for your respect, being a teen with a bmw...and yes..i baught it myself and i baught all the mods myself.. so please dont call me a "rich spoiled *****"...

#37 ·
im 16 too and have been obsessed with cars since like forever...and got my 2004 325xi in may....i worked all summer as a lifeguard and made a little over $1,000....i have used a lot of that money for gas but the rest im gonna spend on clears, csl spoiler, and ive also been looking at the m3 mirrors.....and i know what your going through i wanted to get m6 rims with my money but my parents said that im not allowed to get 18 inch tires because they cost too much to replace (your parents might be thinking the same thing, it actually makes sense) ask for some of the other mods that dont cost as much for christmas (thats what im doing) then this summer i might make enough to buy my own rims, will they let you work in the summer??

do you go to a private school or something?? those are some nice cars! i definitally have one of the nicest cars at my school...but i also live in the middle of nowhere in west virginia

#29 ·
ill sell you my 18's for $$1000 good tires, deep dish....only used em for 6 months :).....although im sure you dont like chrome bc nobody ever seems to like chrome :dunno

i guess if you make your own money, even if it is kinda your parents...you should be able to spend it on whatever...i would def get some rims

#31 ·
I hope you're taking some English classes. (bought)
j/k :)

When I have kids I'll reward them with whatever they want as long as they do good in school. I wish my parents did. I dropped out of college so I could work to buy a car. If they paid for everything so I could concentrate on school i'd probably be an engineer by now

#32 ·
:bawling: This brings back so many painful memories. I remember when my mommy and daddy said I couldn't get a car until I was 16....and I had the money to buy it myself...and I had the money for the car insurance...and I had the money for gas. :excited:

I received good grades because I was smart -- not as an incentive. If I didn't get good grades, I had to quit my job -- then I had to sell my car because I couldn't afford insurance and gas. You'll get no pity on here because your mother says that you can't buy new rims with money that was "earned" :rofl:

#40 ·
I CANT! haha..they wont let me! i dont have a credit card so i cant!

plus its kinda hard to hide some rims from your parents..

a CAI is different..but still..i need a CC..

and if they dont notice and it shows up at my door, they will take the rims away.take the car away. ground me for not telling them etc..

its smarter to just tell them...so just getting them without telling them, thats just the oppisite of being a man...:tsk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.