E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Is there anything wrong with this setup?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  LeontiyZHP 
#1 ·
I've had a 2 10' box in my trunk, and it's really heavy! So I took it out but I still desired more bass, so I've created this...

Now I have no knowledge of proper box making or anything, should've looked into it but decided to just go for it and try and make something.. My cutting was terrible, so I sealed up the crack with dynomat..

I think there's a downside to using screws for it, but I have no idea why. Anyone know anything about this?

I also installed the amp under the carpet, by on top of the spare wheel cover

This is how it looks..

All of you out there with experience, please let me know the negative comments on this, could my amp overheat down there? Could me sub blow because of the box?

I know it's not a finish product yet, and I will be wrapping it in some kind of material soon to clean up the wooden look. It actually accomplishes my desire for the sound and more bass.

See less See more
#2 ·
Only way your sub could blow because of the box is if the box's dimensions were way off spec and you ended turning the amp gain too high to compensate. Make sure the gain is set properly. If you can't get it to sound right, you make want to look into keeping the amp but replacing the sub with one meant for a fairly small enclosure. Not that with small enclosure, you generally need a serious amount of power compared to a sub in a large box to get the same amount of bass. As for the amp overheating down there, I had doubt about that location myself, and instead chose to mount them on top of the floor and build a tray that sits about an inch above the top of my amp, and the tray creates a sort of raised false floor. Others have created ways to cool amps down there, everything from computer fans to vents in the floor.

#3 ·
How did you build the box? did you glue the seams. I only see a few screws on the front. The way I build them is by gluing all seams with wood glue and then adding screws every 3-4 inches, then sealing all the inside seams with caulk. How many screws are really needed, depends on the sub and the amount of power going to the sub. If the box is glued and you don't have a lot of power (which seems to be your case), then you should be fine with what you have.

I guess the box volume matches the subwoofer's specs?

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! :thumbsup:

I did glue all of the sides of the box, I did forget to mention that. And I have the same amount of screws on the back as in the front. I also lost the info on the subs, as I've had them for at least 3 years now, so I just went with the design that would fit my concept.

Originally I was going to make a box similar to the BSW that would hang down, but it would take up half of my trunk anyway in order to fit the sub. So I measured a box that would fit in the empty space. The size is also very similar to the dual box I had for them, a little smaller but close.

Only way your sub could blow because of the box is if the box's dimensions were way off spec and you ended turning the amp gain too high to compensate. Make sure the gain is set properly. If you can't get it to sound right, you make want to look into keeping the amp but replacing the sub with one meant for a fairly small enclosure. Not that with small enclosure, you generally need a serious amount of power compared to a sub in a large box to get the same amount of bass. As for the amp overheating down there, I had doubt about that location myself, and instead chose to mount them on top of the floor and build a tray that sits about an inch above the top of my amp, and the tray creates a sort of raised false floor. Others have created ways to cool amps down there, everything from computer fans to vents in the floor.
I really don't push my amp and sub, I don't like doing that cuz it sounds distorted when played. But my amps is tunned about half of it's capacity and the sub tend to hit good enough at that.

It is going to suck when your battery dies :facepalm:
As far as taking it out, it's only mounted with 2 screws which can be removed with a regular screw driver. I also have easy access to my spare just in case, well the box won't be in the way, the amp sort of is, but that's not that hard to take off either.

What you did is fine. As mentioned just make sure that you tweak the system correctly. The amp will heat up a bit if played for long periods, but it all depends on how you traet the system
As for show points... I found that it's worth the effort to spend two hours more on a streamline design than just go for a square box. You will cover the box in material right, but see if you cannot cut filler pieces to close the gaps on the sides before you wrap the wood. Just to lose the ''square-peg-round-hole'' scenario.
Thanks for the recommendation, I wasn't even thinking about it. I'm going to get fabric today or tomorrow to wrap it up. I'll see if I can match up the pieces to cover it up somehow, if not then it won't be a big deal as it is more of a functionality than show.

#5 ·
What you did is fine. As mentioned just make sure that you tweak the system correctly. The amp will heat up a bit if played for long periods, but it all depends on how you traet the system
As for show points... I found that it's worth the effort to spend two hours more on a streamline design than just go for a square box. You will cover the box in material right, but see if you cannot cut filler pieces to close the gaps on the sides before you wrap the wood. Just to lose the ''square-peg-round-hole'' scenario.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.