E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY Plasti Dip! Grill and Rear Badge [Lots of Pictures]

85K views 64 replies 42 participants last post by  TopazID 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey boys and girls! Today I decided to go to Lowe's and buy some black spray-on Plasti Dip. I have some more ideas for what I want to do with it but I started out easy (doing the model emblem) and moved up to something a bit more complex (the grill). I am now convinced that along with duct tape and WD-40, Plasti Dip is God's gift to mankind. The best part is that it is completely reversible, should you decide you no longer like it. That is also a downfall, since it might come off before you want it to. Just be careful with it and avoid touching it unnecessarily.

I was going to pull out the grill to spray it, but one of the tabs was already broken from the previous owner. I didn't want to risk breaking more and ended up just masking it really well and spraying it in place.

Note: I was doing this in temps of 95 degrees and moderate to heavy humidity. The humidity did not affect it as much as I expected, so I was able to drastically cut the waiting time between coats. Please realize that Plasti Dip instructions state to wait one hour between coats.
DIY #1: THE EMBLEM
I got the idea from [linky].

Tools required:
-An old newspaper
-Masking Tape
-Plasti Dip Spray
-Toothpick

STEP 1: CLEAN THE AREA TO BE 'PAINTED'
You don't want to spray on top of dirt and grime, or it will bubble or just plain not stick. The link said to use a cotton ball and alcohol. The alcohol works very quickly to remove grime (and also overspray from the plasti dip), but the cottonball left cotton fuzz all over. I do not recommend it.

STEP 2: MASK THE AREA
Masking for this is super easy. I took a half page of newsprint and tore a rectangular hole across the fold and taped it to the car. Don't worry about masking around the letters. It will come right off, as you will see below. Just leave a close area around the logo, but make sure that it is not touching the letters/numbers.

STEP 3: APPLY COAT NUMBER ONE
After making a test spray on a spare page of newsprint to check product flow, spray plasti dip evenly across the surface. I do not suggest doing more than one pass, as the product will run since it has nothing to cling to besides the smooth surface. Wait at least 5 minutes before applying the next coat.

STEP 4: APPLY COAT NUMBER TWO
Now that there is some rubber on the surface, the next coat has something to grab when it gets sprayed on. Be more liberal and get good coverage. Two passes should do for this coat. Wait 15 minutes to an hour before applying the next coat.

STEP 5: APPLY COAT NUMBER THREE
This should be the last coat if you sprayed the surface properly. Make sure that you've sprayed the top and bottom of the emblem. Allow 30 minutes for it to dry before removing the masking.

STEP 6: REMOVE MASKING
Be careful not to prematurely pull off the rest of the rubber. Use the toothpick to break away rubber clings.

STEP 7: PEEL AWAY EXCESS RUBBER
Don't rush this step. The rectangular piece will separate and break away from the edges of the emblem, but you will need to use the toothpick in some places to help it along. You will need a toothpick or two to peel out the insides of the numbers, but once you get it started, it will come easily.

STEP 8: CLEAN UP ANY OVERSPRAY
Use alcohol on a paper towel and gently rub the overspray. It will lift right off. Enjoy the finished product.

DIY #2: THE GRILL[E]

Note: Most people prefer to do this by taking off the grill. This tutorial shows how to paint it while leaving the grill intact. I didn't have to worry about breaking any tabs this way.

Tools required:
-Several old newspapers (or the Sunday paper)
-Masking Tape
-Plasti Dip Spray
-Toothpicks

STEP 1: CLEAN THE SURFACE TO BE 'PAINTED'
Washing the car beforehand helps a lot, and use a chamois cloth or a thin, nonabrasive cloth to wipe around and inside the grill. Dry every part and scrub any bug remains. A toothpick will come in handy to remove dried bug carcasses from the corners. Once you are certain that you have cleaned in all of the corners and gotten the finish as smooth as possible, proceed to the next step.

STEP 2: MASK AROUND THE AREA TO BE 'PAINTED'
It was easiest to do this by putting the hood halfway up. Gravity kept it from going up any further, but engineering kept it from falling. It stayed there very well on its own. Tape paper immediately behind the grill, and cover the engine compartment and around the kidneys.
Pro Tip: Use small pieces of tape on the curves around the kidneys. Wrap tape over the edge to fill the gap, and press it down with a toothpick to stick it in place.

STEP 3: APPLY COAT NUMBER ONE
Angle the can so the you are spraying in the direction of travel, so that you coat the sides of the vertical slats. Do not spray a location more than once if possible. I ended up doing six passes (three in each direction) for the first coat. Wait at least five minutes before applying the next coat.

STEP 4: APPLY COAT NUMBER TWO
Try to cover as much as possible in as few passes as possible. Realize that the problem area is the chrome grill surround. It will take as many as four to five coats to completely cover the chrome. Wait 15 minutes to an hour before proceeding.

STEP 5: APPLY COAT NUMBER THREE
Focus on the outside chrome portions, as the inside will be much less noticeable if you miss a spot. Wait 30 minutes to an hour before proceeding.

STEP 6: APPLY COAT NUMBER FOUR
Pay attention and focus on any spots you missed in previous coverage. Apply as if this is the final coat. Make sure you have applied the product from all angles. Wait 30 minutes to an hour before proceeding.

STEP 7: APPLY FINAL COAT
This is to touch up any thin areas. Make sure that your chrome is fully covered!! Do not "touch up" specific areas, because the product will blob like spray paint (don't ask how I know). Make an even path across the entire surface.
Allow at least 30 minutes for the final coat to dry before removing masking.

STEP 8: REMOVE MASKING AND CLEAN OVERSPRAY
Break away any rubber clings with the toothpick. Rub overspray with alcohol and it will come right off. Enjoy the finished product. You may need to use the toothpick to clean the crevice around each kidney, but be careful not to scratch your new rubber coating. It will take several hours for the finish to cure completely. I suggest not driving it or touching it until it has completely set.

STEP 9: ENJOY THE FINISHED PRODUCT

See less See more
#46 ·
For those looking, Delmarco did an amazing job with the sunglasses compartment/ashtray diy with plasti dip.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=753372&highlight=plasti+dip

I will be doing this soon. Will be sure to post results in the appropriate place.

Honestly I was considering trying to get my steering wheel plastic wrapped in the same titan silver of my interior trim, or possibly just going to plasti-dip route.

#48 ·
I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I believe that the longevity of the finish relies 100% on the quality of the application. Don't rush it...let it dry in layers. Don't over apply. There are some small spots that have been nicked from stones, so I will probably need to reapply in the summer. I usually baby it when I hand wash the car, but I've used auto washes with brushes and not had negative results. Even my mirrors' Plasti Dip is holding up.

I did my dad's grille on the Honda Ridgeline, and it did peel off on his first wash, but the plastic was much smoother and it was a rush application. Like I said...apply and allow time to dry!

#52 ·
Did my grills with a local fanatic buddy last night. Literally couldn't be easier. We removed them and put them on cardboard and then worked on installing his subs in between coats, looks great! Debating lower grill, badge and door trim next.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics in the dark...

#53 ·
I just plasti dipped my center console trim and dash trim. Doing my arm rests this week. It's been a full week and even with constant traffic on the console it has held up very well.

Like many say it depends on your strategy on applying it. You must do at least in my opinion 4 coats solid spray with even coats done. Must allow at least 30 minutes between coats and obviously do it in a warmer climate. Don't paint or spray anything when it's moist out from rain etc.

When the can gets low *throw it out* don't try and use every drop or you will get spurts of more air than paint and it will cause ugly paint splatter. I can post pictures if anyone is curious to how it looks.

#59 ·
Nice post. Seriously thinking about doing it. Even though you did mention that it can withstand an automatic carwash, I am still concerned whether they will withstand those carwashes with strong hoses, like the ones used to wash the bottom of your car. Don't know if you know what I mean. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.