Where No i8 Has Gone Before - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Bernie@Fanatics

My Ride: 83' 323is, 07' JCW
Where No i8 Has Gone Before

”i8 mt washington”

Turner took some time recently to give their project i8 a serious shaking down. They didn't choose a drag strip or a twisty road course for this endeavor, they were looking for something bigger. It seems they found their testing ground on the road up to the summit of Mt. Washington. At 6,288 ft., the Turner i8 is taking a journey that no i8 has taken before. Check out the Turner write-up from Oppositelock.

We figured it would be the perfect weekend to do something no other BMW i8 has done before (presumably) so we decided to take our Turner colored blue and yellow Hybrid up to the top of the 6,288 ft summit of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire’s White Mountain National Forest.

The 6,288 ft summit is home to the “Worlds Worst Weather” which recorded a world record wind speed of 231 mph in 1934 and typically sees average temperatures of -20 degrees in winter.

The historic 8-mile long Mt. Washington Auto Road is home to the “Climb to the Clouds” Hill Climb race which is one of the oldest Motorsports events in the United States first run in 1904.

”i8 mt washington”

”i8 mt washington”

The 8-mile windy mountain road features several 1000+ ft drop offs with no guard rails and barely enough room for two way traffic in most sections making the journey up or down interesting to say the least.

We even tested the i8’s all wheel drive traction on the one mile long dirt section with steep grades and uneven surface. With the i8’s low end torque and gearing, the car was well suited for this type of driving.

Just to give you an idea of the differential in weather conditions from the top to the bottom, we began the trip up at 3:30pm and it was 90 degrees and sunny. At about 4:15pm we made it to the summit where it was 50 degrees, 50 ft visibility and 70 mph winds.

Non the less, the views where truly awesome and the experience was a lot of fun. If you are in the Northeast we would recommend it to anyone, especially if you are driving a rental car , just make sure to choose the insurance option.

”i8 mt washington”
Bernie@Fanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 AM   #2
RonBurgandy

My Ride: 2000 328i Steel Gray
Oh wow....
RonBurgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
MrBudds

My Ride: M4
I love that i was thinking of getting an i8 myself. My friend is getting one soon and its black with blue rims. Its the same color has the one found here except it has blue rims.
MrBudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
Dealerships seem to have a hard time moving them. You can probably lean on them
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #5
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Is it weird that I kinda, sorta like what they did with that i8?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBudds View Post
I love that i was thinking of getting an i8 myself. My friend is getting one soon and its black with blue rims. Its the same color has the one found here except it has blue rims.
i8 leases are relatively cheap right now. Get it!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
GotZHP

My Ride: '04 BMW 330i ZHP
EPIC! I grew up in Maine and Lived in New Hampshire for awhile. These shots make me miss home. There are some fun drives in that neck of the woods.

Side note, that is one hell of a hike

http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1096657
GotZHP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6288 ft i8, bmw i, bmw i8, i8 climbs mt. washington, turner i8 mt. washington, turner project i8