E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Yachtgoat

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Aibae46td

Mods, Feel free to change my thread name it was supposed to be 'AIBAE46TD" with i reference in my "Welcome "Page intro...

The Victim,
2001 330Ci, 9/2000 production. Very solid car, Bought it out of a trailer park in Florida City. Florida.

Everything leaks, the driveshaft blew up on the ride home, but i made it to the shop.

Plan is for a "Florida" street legal track car with A/C and power windows. When i smoke the motor, LS will go in. I used to own an '06 GTO/Monaro, and the e46 is just a better version of the Monaro, which is a copy of an E36?

I'm a pretty solid wrench, so it's a fun car to work on. Stuff is coming apart well.

Biggest repair has been cracked mounting area for the center support bearing. I have cleaned it up and reinforced the area. Welds look like **** but it works. I had a shop I've used before send out the driveshaft for rebuild in Atlanta. It came back with the nicest center support bearing i have seen. will post pics of that.

If someone can remind me how to properly embed pic on this fine forum that would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9728.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	654176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	654178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	654179  

Last edited by Yachtgoat; 04-29-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Yachtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Yachtgoat

Huge day in the Shop today.
Started with massive under car power wash. My Ryobi mini just kills it, I can wash on my shop floor and run my shop vac the whole time and i make very little mess.

I dropped my front cross member earlier in the week so it was easy to get busy and get her buttoned back up. Thanks to whoever i got the tip on the Hazard Frought engine hanger deal.
-Dropped pan
-Cleaned that nasty bitch
-Examined bottom end. Looks good to me, pistons are clean, its just typical 160,00 mile + miles "gold".
-Oil pump looks good for now. Marked it so when it blows up i can Be all CSI on it.
-Front and rear main seal are not leak suspects at this time.
-Torqued it all back up with a fresh gasket. the old one was TOAST.
-Pulled the Oil filter housing.
-another round of cleaning
-examined CCV, it is intact, will run it and see.
-Reinstalled OFH.
-Dressed the front of motor: New water pump w/ ECS pulley, New LuK-30 pump with bracket and pulley from ECS, New tensioners and idler pulleys and Conti belts. And Ditto A/C.
-Dropped the exhaust manifolds. I was kicking myself for loosing my 1/4" drive air ratchet! The only snag was getting the wires out for the aft 02 sensors, they were hung up at the top aft of the motor. Nice thing about having the motor hanging is you can drop it to the sway bar and get to stuff.

So Next up is:
-Ebay sourced E36 stock exhaust manifolds. Should i get coated?
-Bimmerworld sourced SpecE46 downpipe.
-Vorshlag "pussy" motor/trans mounts
-Rebuilt "Yellow" rack and TRE's from the Rack Doctor (car had yellow when i bought) with all new hoses, res[IMG][/IMG] and delicious Castrol juice.
-New left LCA and Powerful aft bushings (right one is new)
-Shifter Rebuild. Car came with one of those shitty looking e-bay $30.00 shifters. I'm gonna throw it in with some other pieces and see how it goes. I think the 3rd synhcro is toast anyway.
-Rebuilt Drive shaft from my local guy via a shop in Atlanta. The CSB is burly.
-Cooling system refresh.
-Remember to put oil and water in.
-Tranny fluid change.

Hopefully after that i'll slap some tires on and drive it around a bit....

photo IMG_0184_zpso15wtxm4.jpg
Post tear down clean
 photo IMG_0189_zpsgym2ofyq.jpg
you, its bolted together, for now
 photo IMG_0193_zpsekurhtyy.jpg
All cleaned up round 2
 photo IMG_0200_zpsc7qcokuu.jpg
And done for the day
Old 05-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Yachtgoat

So I got my Ebay sourced E36 manifolds, which as it turns out are OBD2 manifolds.
So off to a friends for some fill welds and then another friends mill.
No biggie.

Last edited by Yachtgoat; 05-03-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
BBBoy323i

My Ride: 01' 325ci
Nice project
BBBoy323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Yachtgoat

Another Saturday, Another day in the Shop!
I took it easy this week as the previous Saturday i retweaked my tweaked knee and got it good and swollen. 55cc's of fluid out and some Cortisone in and all good! So mostly i just picked up parts and got my exhaust manifolds welded at one shop and milled flat at another.

So Today:

-Installed a bunch of studs in the head as my car was missing a few (like half). Yes i know its overkill to have all 100 studs, but its easy enough. Bolted up the manifolds with no hassles, my new 1/4' mini air ratchet made it a cinch. Downpipes fit perfect as well, nice job Magnaflow and Bimmerworld!

-Bolted up the new Vorshlag "Pussy" mounts to the front crossmember and bolted it up. Yes i reused the old bolts, yes I torqued them. I will get some new ones. easy enough to swap. The engine dropped right down perfect on the mounts. Finished up by swapping the trans mounts in also. Man, the motor is not going anywhere now, holy crap, STIFF!

-I made a little custom braket to hold the O2 sensor connectors and keep all the wires happy. Not sure if I'm supposed to plug in a sensor in the bung on the end of the downpipe.

That was it, tomorrow Power Steering and LCA and LCAB install and hopefully the driveshaft and shifter, and, and, and....Oh, and do the heads on my buddies classic Bronco and start an FI setup on that......

You have to have this book, yes it's $100, but it is priceless
[IMG] photo IMG_0258_zpsni2fsnbu.jpg[/IMG]

All the goodies
[IMG] photo IMG_0256_zps5ixrru6b.jpg[/IMG]

Studs...
[IMG] photo IMG_0273_zpsajdd6xda.jpg[/IMG]

bolted up.
[IMG] photo IMG_0276_zpssgpmkabx.jpg[/IMG]

Trans mounts
 photo IMG_0285_zps7098ogfz.jpg

My little bracket
[IMG] photo IMG_0282_zpshjsy3jpm.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Yachtgoat; 05-07-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
looks promising.
avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Yachtgoat

More work DUN,
I took a bunch of pics but photo bucket is awful now and i haven't taken the time to source new so i can embed. I'll thro some thumbs in at the end.

So A Major Thrash 2 weekends ago saw the car much closer to the driver it became this last Saturday. It also saw us get the heads on and off my buddy sick 302 in his classic bronco, and running properly again.

Saturday
-Bolted up the rack and all new hoses, resivor and filled with juice
-Assembled the cooling system, hoses tank, and got the rad/ac core sitting together correctly which is a challenge. Filled that up and took my time and did a nice long bleed on the system.
-Checked all the vitals and gave it the key and she fired right up! Had some flickering oil light issues, but it just wanted more oil. The oil PSI light switch seemed suspect and a swap out later in the week with a new part solved the issue, would have been easier on the bench however. So it ran great and made loud noises and made the guys in the shop next door come peek!
-Went to Sunfest and got drunk

Sunday
-Installed the shifter
-Installed driveshaft with Buna smashed in heavily around the center support. it all bolted up perfectly. not worried about anything moving in the drive line.
-Fired it up and ran it thru gears, all good no clunks.
-Bolted together and fired the 302, long afternoon rewarded with a easy start up. it was fun walking two noobs (my Captain buddy who owns several nice classics and one of his deckhands) thru a head gasket job on a 40yo small block.

The following week i piddled with the car and got the front end semi bolted together so i could at least drive it around the block.

I had to order a $6 plastic block that holds the lower radiator to the frame, fraking lego cars.

I also made a trip to Redline BMW to see Rennie and pick up a M3 Diff, complete, for $350, can't pass that up...

Saturday i got back on it and bolted up the wheels and took her out for a rip! The tires are destroyed garbage, but OH MY what fun I had Hooning around the neighbor hood (industrial park, in Mexico). we took SOOO much weight out already it just slides around like crazy! 3 rd gear is probably junk but we shall see, and a shorter rear gear is a must! Just kinda piddled with the shop the rest of the weekend. I need to bolt on the lights and bumper and finish stripping the tint. Mostly I need to make the car look like a car so i can get it insured with Grundy and tagged.

To that end i ordered these yesterday: APEX 17'x9" in Anthracite.

And tires this week as well, its gonna be tight in front but i will massage the fenders, no worries.

Also Saturday i did front brake pads on my X5, i figured the old ones had to be hammered, i mean how can that much dust exist and still be pad left, but they were only half done. none the less on went some fresh Akebonos and a half ass wash for the poor DD.

And Tonight is Track Night In America, so heading to the shop now to get ready. What am i running yo may ask? Well my trusty steed, WTF-White Trash Flash, my E70 X5 35ixdrive Msport.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	655158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	655159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	655160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	655161  

Name:	IMG_6946.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	655162  

Last edited by Yachtgoat; 05-16-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #8
Yachtgoat

I have been pretty stopped on the car for a few weeks.
I went ahead and slapped the bumper and lights on so i could start to line things up. The hood is pretty tweaked, so I body worked that a little to try and line it up better to make sure nothing else was tweaked. I quickly decided the hood was trash.

So a quick look at a local Pull n' Pay showed a handful of E46's. I needed a few things and had not junk yard crawled in a while. So i grabbed a few tools and headed out. First thing i learned? Florida is terrible to interiors. all these cars were just cooked on the inside! I did randomly find a decent (100% better than the one i had) stock steering wheel for $20. And then I found a perfect hood, Silver and all! I also found a brand new aftermarket front left fender laying on the ground behind a 5 series, LOL! I didn't have the truck so I hid the fender and hoped the hood was still there the next day. Same drill next day and i walked out with a hood, fender and some spare hood shocks for $110, seems like a deal!

My wheels finally arrived Thursday, after i left town of course. Not exactly sure why it took 10 days to get them, but at least they showed up. I once again learned to be wary of sales reps saying "in Stock". Sorry i'm old school, "in stock" to me means you can walk in the warehouse and touch them.......

My tires on the other hand.... Tire Rack continues to kill on service and price. After doing a little research i decided just to get cheapish tires to start out with. Just something to get it rolling, that i can use for fender clearance adjustments, etc. and not care if they get ruined. So Falken Direzzia 97QFZ6245's or some such thing were what i ordered, and then had in my hot hands, 28hrs Later.... thats service. To bad i had no wheels.....

So next weeks plan is tires mounted, studs installed, bolt on the wheel/tires, rear tint off, new hood on, grills in. Then i need to take pictures so i can get it insured (Grundy or Haggerty) and registered so i can drive it a little before i head to RI for the summer.

All thats really left is a suspension package and brake tune up. Once I'm there, i will decide on how hard core i'm going on the rollbar and seats.

And the X5 as a track car? still pretty good. I cooked the brake fluid but it needed replacing anyway. The new AkeBono pads worked great and made no dust, man do the brakes work, lots of 120 to 40 stops. I was running in the advanced group with a bunch of race cars, all the instructors loved it! And i loved the TA2 mustang lapping me and breathing fire. I also learned the X5 can do lap times with spec miatas. Ok, l the ones with a sick motors, LOL!

Happy Memorial Day People!