E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1998 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #40001
Rob76

My Ride: 318Ci 2.0
Mounted the new exhaust finally.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met E46Fanatics
Rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #40002
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Installed lumbar in the driver seat. Found this cable tucked inside the seat not connected to anything, any ideas what this is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170518_111621.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	655280  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #40003
fearless merc

My Ride: 01 330i, 06 x3
New Front and Rear Brakes and Oil change on the X3
Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #40004
Neonnblack

My Ride: '03 330XI
Flashed EU2 earlier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #40005
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
I can't find the post, but someone recently posted that their wife crashed their E46 and she just got a 335. Well, if it had around 127k miles, I just found it on cpart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #40006
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
Installed lumbar in the driver seat. Found this cable tucked inside the seat not connected to anything, any ideas what this is?

Probably seat heater wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #40007
jaymtz80

My Ride: 330i 5spd+05 ZHP
Tint.. Always a good mod..
jaymtz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #40008
TimmyM56

My Ride: 2004 325xi
With some good weather finally, I got around to doing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket on my 325xi.

Oh my, what a pain it was. First, the fan clutch was giving me issues, I could not get the damn nut to loosen. I gave up and called Advance Auto to see if they had the tool to help with it, and even though on the phone they said they did, when I got to the store, it wasn't the right one. However, my Dad offered to help and with a bit more force, broke the nut loose and got the fan out. Removing everything else on the way wasn't too bad, until I see that the gasket is not in bad shape, still felt like rubber. Whatever, $7 for a gasket is nothing for peace of mind. Putting the housing back on, oh man, I was pissed when I saw that one of bolts for the housing stripped out. Thankfully, I found a bigger bolt to work and hold on the remaining threads. But the worst part, absolute worst part, was getting the damn alternator back on. I swear it was in the right location so many times but the bolts would not go through. We must have spent at least an hour or more trying to get it back in it's place. Finally, it went into place and I put everything back together and started the car. No leaks that I noticed and car was driving fine.

Spent my whole day, >10 hours in this hot humid CT weather, to change a $7 gasket that was barely leaking, only to give me beaten up hands. But nothing feels better than the fact that I did it myself and saved almost $700 (what the dealer quoted me to fix the leak).

Probably going to be the last repair on this E46, hopefully I wont' have to change any oil filter housing gaskets on my next car.
TimmyM56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 AM   #40009
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyM56 View Post
With some good weather finally, I got around to doing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket on my 325xi.

Oh my, what a pain it was. First, the fan clutch was giving me issues, I could not get the damn nut to loosen. I gave up and called Advance Auto to see if they had the tool to help with it, and even though on the phone they said they did, when I got to the store, it wasn't the right one. However, my Dad offered to help and with a bit more force, broke the nut loose and got the fan out. Removing everything else on the way wasn't too bad, until I see that the gasket is not in bad shape, still felt like rubber. Whatever, $7 for a gasket is nothing for peace of mind. Putting the housing back on, oh man, I was pissed when I saw that one of bolts for the housing stripped out. Thankfully, I found a bigger bolt to work and hold on the remaining threads. But the worst part, absolute worst part, was getting the damn alternator back on. I swear it was in the right location so many times but the bolts would not go through. We must have spent at least an hour or more trying to get it back in it's place. Finally, it went into place and I put everything back together and started the car. No leaks that I noticed and car was driving fine.

Spent my whole day, >10 hours in this hot humid CT weather, to change a $7 gasket that was barely leaking, only to give me beaten up hands. But nothing feels better than the fact that I did it myself and saved almost $700 (what the dealer quoted me to fix the leak).

Probably going to be the last repair on this E46, hopefully I wont' have to change any oil filter housing gaskets on my next car.
The trick on the alternator is to thread the bolts into it a few turns while you have it out and give them a couple of smacks with a hammer. This opens up the sliders so it goes back down in more easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #40010
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Sometimes those sliders are tight af. I've spent an hour before trying to wrestle an alternator out of an e36/e46 without destroying everything around it. and some times it slides right in the first try.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #40011
05SMG

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZSP
Oil change Castrol 0w40 and power steering fluid flush Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
It's getting Africa hot here already so I'm going to chill all summer and do nothing but drive and wash it.

Technically 05SSG
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #40012
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Timely, I'm in the midst of an alternator change right now. M56 share alternators with 530s, not e46, so I had the fun of removing an idler from an unmounted alternator before even starting on the car itself.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #40013
yjsaabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Sometimes those sliders are tight af. I've spent an hour before trying to wrestle an alternator out of an e36/e46 without destroying everything around it. and some times it slides right in the first try.
Yeah, the joys of steel inserts in aluminum. A good spray of some penetrant helps free them up.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #40014
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
The trick on the alternator is to thread the bolts into it a few turns while you have it out and give them a couple of smacks with a hammer. This opens up the sliders so it goes back down in more easily.

I've removed my alt twice on this car and it's too easy. yjsaabman knows the trick.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #40015
yjsaabman

Rub-a-dub-dub

Old 05-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #40016
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post

I think I used a socket and my vise to press it back.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #40017
Onizukachan

I hit the bolt with a dead blow hammer while it was still threaded partially to knock it back.
Too bad some dufus stripped the pitman arm on the hydraulic tensioner changing belts in the past.
No way to apply tension to the pulley to compress it, bolt would just turn.
No time to wait for just the pitman arm ($60), my hand is forced into getting a complete assembly. ($240) bc that is all dealership has in stock.
Might as well change idler and belt so I never have to take it off again... I hope.
$100 alternator replacement quickly is turning into a $500 job.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #40018
Onizukachan

I hit the bolt with a dead blow hammer while it was still threaded partially to knock it back.
Too bad some dufus stripped the pitman arm on the hydraulic tensioner changing belts in the past.
No time to wait for just the pitman arm ($60), my hand is forced into getting a complete assembly. ($240) bc that is all dealership has in stock, and I have a job to get to.
Might as well change idler and belt so I never have to take it off again... I hope.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 05-19-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #40019
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
No time to wait for just the pitman arm ($60), my hand is forced into getting a complete assembly. ($240) bc that is all dealership has in stock, and I have a job to get to.
Try this method to compress the tensioner Where do you get $100 alternators that aren't junk?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #40020
yjsaabman

I've been experiencing an odd shudder when easing the clutch out, usually moving the car around in the shop at work, or in a parking lot. Threw it up on the lift today and checked the trans mounts, CBS, and rear diff mounts. The diff mounts are pretty shot. Good news is I have a set of HD ones on hand. Some day next week I'll tackle them and prob change the fluid at the same time.

While it was up in the air I fixed something that had been bugging me with the exhaust. When the Racing Dynamics rear muffler was installed the stock pipes were cut too short. Add to that a slightly larger pipe diameter on the RD rear section (it really would have slip fit quite nicely) and the stiff BMW branded band clamps that were used did not seal well, or hold the pipes in a decent alignment. The tips had always been a bit crooked and rubbing the bumper slightly. So off with the clamps, a little clean up and tweaking, and I welded the RD rear section to the rest of the exhaust. No more leaks, better alignment out the back, and a much happier Fanatic. Sorry, no pics. They certainly weren't the prettiest welds I've ever done.