E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Manual 325i or auto ZHP?
Manual 325i 56 56.00%
Auto ZHP 44 44.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #141
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
they're decent haulers for road trips. the new ones aren't bad looking

new redesign for 2018

[IMG]

what do you think guys-- sporty european style?
Nope; chintzy Japanese style.

I understand you're a Lexus/Toyota loyalist, but Mazda 6 > Camry.

Current: '02 330i/5 • '10 Mazda5 • '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6 • '95 525i/5 • '86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #142
jaymtz80

My Ride: 330i 5spd+05 ZHP
Quote:
then a v6 camry goes by and proceeds to blow yours off.
Yeah right, on the highway at speed perhaps it would take off. There is no mountain road a Camry would leave me. And the diff in the auto ZHP is going to help have the Camry off the line as well.

And since when are we comparing these cars to a Camry anyway? WGAF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
*their

LOL @ "In the twisties"
Do you realize this is almost all about tire grip and suspension compliance?

On the last BMW cruise, I was tailgating a 600whp E46 M3 turbo with my lowly 5 speed 325i. The driver was going all out, judging by my (almost) bleeding ears, and black puffs of smoke from his rich running engine. Have the dashcam video of it too.
HAHAHA.. Either his car was broken, he was a terrible driver, he wasn't trying, or you are delusional.. Put the pipe down...

How many people here have actually driven a ZHP auto? By the comments I would say not many.
jaymtz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #143
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
its entirely possible for a lesser car to stay on the heels of a much faster car. did it all the time in the canyons. particularly on downhill sections where weight and agility are bigger factors than power. you don't even need suspension. i had a buddy back in the day who use to shake super cars in his bone stock 1989 4speed auto corolla 4 door (complete grandma style) with blown shocks and 14" 85 series tires. the thing weighed like 2,100 lbs and on the downhill, with the experienced driver, could surprise the hell out of most expensive cars. i know because i was riding passenger for many of the runs back in the day. all we did was cruise canyons and troll tuner cars. of course on an uphill, no contest.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #144
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
Quote:
i've floored a camry v6 before. should've seen how my hair flew!
LOL!!!!

not gonna lie... having to use every trick in the book to get my 3.5RL to pass a butthole in a V6 Camry camped out in the left lane kinda sucked. It was the last straw that made my aspirations of turbocharging it come to life. Having to drive like a maniac to pass a friggin camry was a low point in my automotive life

Should have seen the amount of cars swerving from lane to lane trying to get by. The person in the right lane couldn't get away from ButtheadCamryGuy either. if they slowed down, he slowed down. If they sped up, he sped up... effectively blocking them from getting over.

Why do people do that?
avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #145
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde View Post
LOL!!!!

Why do people do that?

Why do people care so much. Fall back and relax, you won't get wherever any sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #146
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtz80 View Post
Yeah right, on the highway at speed perhaps it would take off. There is no mountain road a Camry would leave me. And the diff in the auto ZHP is going to help have the Camry off the line as well.
It's cute to see such dedicated E46-fanaticism, to the point where it becomes categorised as delusion. This post being either that, or complete lack of experience with the newer cars on the market.

Let's be honest, you have no reason to test drive a Camry and I could bet your car on it that you haven't. Why pretend to know precise details when you don't?

Quote:
HAHAHA.. Either his car was broken, he was a terrible driver, he wasn't trying, or you are delusional.. Put the pipe down...
Actually, I could've been hanging back with the E36 convertibles if I chose to.

Nothing was broken on that beast of a car, I assure you.
The unforgettable, adrenaline filled memories of my passengers will attest to it, if not the actual videos.

Horsepower is not a measure of how agile a car is. Ever wonder why a Miata is as popular as it is?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #147
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
It's cute to see such dedicated E46-fanaticism, to the point where it becomes categorised as delusion. This post being either that, or complete lack of experience with the newer cars on the market.
It's called fanboyism. Very common around here, even from some of the older members.

Current: '02 330i/5 • '10 Mazda5 • '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6 • '95 525i/5 • '86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #148
jaymtz80

Quote:

Let's be honest, you have no reason to test drive a Camry and I could bet your car on it that you haven't. Why pretend to know precise details when you don't?

Actually, I could've been hanging back with the E36 convertibles if I chose to.

The unforgettable, adrenaline filled memories of my passengers will attest to it, if not the actual videos.

Horsepower is not a measure of how agile a car is. Ever wonder why a Miata is as popular as it is?
I sell new cars for a living and have driven everything, I mean everything. I work for a group that has Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Buick, GMC and VW all in the same place.

As I said, on the highway at speed it would take off.

No, a Camry will not out handle a ZHP. Looksw like you owe me your car buddy. You don't know me or what my experiences so put your money where your ignorant mouth is.

So lets stop talking about Camry's which I know way more about than you.

Last edited by jaymtz80; 05-19-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #149
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Enough with the bickering at each other. Stay on topic of the thread is closed.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #150
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Do you realize this is almost all about tire grip and suspension compliance?
On the last BMW cruise, I was tailgating a 600whp E46 M3 turbo with my lowly 5 speed 325i. The driver was going all out, judging by my bleeding ears, and black puffs of smoke from his rich running engine.
Quote:
if his car was blowing out black puffs of smoke then obviously something wasn't running correct on his car.

an M3 is set-up with a Limited Slip Differential, much better suspension, and is still an E46 like your platform. so i don't think the HP is what made it not outhandle your car. it was something in the way the turbocharged engine was performing, perhaps altitude pre-denoting and then retarding it's timing and/or it's just the driver. or sure, maybe his tires were bald. either way your 325i is not outhandling an M3. although i think you know this, maybe i'm missing your point.

a 330i-zhp is also outhandling a 325i non-sport.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #151
Mango
e46mango.com

I think he's trying to say a lesser car in the right hands will outperform better cars in lesser hands. Don't think just cause you've swiped a credit card that magically you're the fastest kid on the block
Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #152
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I think he's trying to say a lesser car in the right hands will outperform better cars in lesser hands. Don't think just cause you've swiped a credit card that magically you're the fastest kid on the block
i agree with a better driver makes a big difference.

but that same driver in a better car also increases.

same driver, in different cars...the better car will be the winner at the end.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 05-19-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #153
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
i agree with a better driver makes a big difference.

but that same driver in a better car also increases.

same driver, in different cars...the better car will be the winner at the end.
yep. by definition, a faster car is faster. i don't think anyone disputes that.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #154
Gunther325

My Ride: '04 325ci
Quote:
they're decent haulers for road trips. the new ones aren't bad looking

new redesign for 2018

what do you think guys-- sporty european style?
The interior is... ewww. The exterior is a big improvement over the last couple of Camry platforms.
Gunther325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #155
jaymtz80

Here is a place for you guys to go talk about Toyotas.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/15...um/#/forums/15
Old 05-20-2017, 02:01 AM   #156
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Here is a place for you guys to go talk about Toyotas.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/15...um/#/forums/15
agreed. this thread is about 325i non-sport manual vs 330i-zhp.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #157
Alex323Ci

i can see the argument that a stick shift is just more valuable to some driver's for the engagement it offers the driver-to-car. i have always been in this category.

i don't however see how anyone thinks the 325i manual outperforms the 330i-zhp automatic in any category besides that (except comfort). but perhaps I'm overlooking something.

been an interesting debate so far.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #158
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
i don't however see how anyone thinks the 325i manual outperforms the 330i-zhp automatic in any category besides that...
No one actually thinks that. Do they?

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes

Last edited by Fox Fader; 05-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #159
jaymtz80

Flooring my ZHP auto.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #160
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
Why do people care so much. Fall back and relax, you won't get wherever any sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Someone's signature said "[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter."

Super relevant to this thread.

according to BKMrSteel, your car is only for transportation from a to b. Nothing else matters
avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote