E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #21
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
After pulling out the washer reservoir, it appears #5 (the grommet/filter) was leaking:

Applied some blue silicone sealant to all the rubber bits, reassembled. It doesn't need to hold much; the only time I ever use the windshield washer is when the windshield is completely obscured and the wipers aren't doing a thing, i.e. an immediately hazardous situation. Anyway, we'll see if it holds.

I really couldn't care less if it's empty except that I hate seeing a warning light on the dash.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 02-29-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #22
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Bunch of little things this weekend.

The blue silicone did not hold. Replaced #5 above; no more leaks!

Replaced a couple of engine cover clips:

Bothers me when they're missing.

New cabin air filter:

Think it was time?

New SAP mounts. Old and busted:

New hotness (3x):

The multipiece bracket makes them very easy to replace.

New floor mat clips:

No more velcro circles and sliding:

More to come!
Old 03-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #23
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post

New floor mat clips:
What clips did you use? Never seen those before.

BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #24
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthirD View Post
What clips did you use? Never seen those before.
See:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=572736

Part # 51-47-8-243-734

Made a small slit in the floor mat with a pair of scissors, insert floor clip, turn to lock.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 03-19-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #25
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
Quote:
See:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=572736

Part # 51-47-8-243-734

Made a small slit in the floor mat with a pair of scissors, insert floor clip, turn to lock.
Thank you, sir. Love the car.
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #26
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Appreciate it! I see yours is up for sale. Good luck!

In other news, my expansion tank has given up the ghost, and my washer tank is STILL leaking. I have a new (genuine BMW) tank and washer pump on order; hoping that fixes the problems.

Was going to do shifter bushings this weekend but meh. Don't really feel like digging into it, especially since the car will be down until the new tank arrives sometime next week.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #27
austine46

My Ride: m54b25
Quote:
Bunch of little things this weekend.

New SAP mounts. Old and busted:

Would this throw a Secondary Air Incorrect Flow Detected code? I forget the code off the top of my head

everyone's a critic
FS: coupe facelift xenons, stock headers no cats, stock sport suspension for coupe, oil separator, non m coupe lip
austine46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #28
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austine46 View Post
Would this throw a Secondary Air Incorrect Flow Detected code? I forget the code off the top of my head
P0491/P0492. Yep, I'm still getting these codes after having verified the operation of the SAP, its valve, replaced all the vacuum lines and the SAP mounts and also the pre-cat O2 sensors. I thought the mounts might have eliminated the codes (though I don't really know why) but they didn't make a difference. The SAP is much quieter now on cold startup, obviously, since it's better isolated vibrationally.

The car runs perfectly otherwise but I want the SES light off. The next step is to dig into what's going on at the DME level. I've downloaded OBDFusion for my iPod, and a OBD2 adapter is next on the order list.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 03-20-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #29
austine46

My Ride: m54b25
Quote:
P0491/P0492. Yep, I'm still getting these codes after having verified the operation of the SAP, its valve, replaced all the vacuum lines and the SAP mounts and also the pre-cat O2 sensors. I thought the mounts might have eliminated the codes (though I don't really know why) but they didn't make a difference. The SAP is much quieter now on cold startup, obviously, since it's better isolated vibrationally.

The car runs perfectly otherwise but I want the SES light off. The next step is to dig into what's going on at the DME level. I've downloaded OBDFusion for my iPod, and a OBD2 adapter is next on the order list.
Yeah good call on OBDFusion. Let me know what happens with that code cause i got mine after doing my oil sepatator and hoses.

everyone's a critic
FS: coupe facelift xenons, stock headers no cats, stock sport suspension for coupe, oil separator, non m coupe lip
austine46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #30
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Not a whole lot of work on the E46 lately. Just trucking along. Runs great. Been DDing it the past couple of weeks.

Lots of progress on the project car, however:

Full teardown underway. Once it's down to the shell, the plan is for my dad to take it to NC to have the body restored (rust removed, new sheet metal welded in, return to original 901 Silver color, etc). When that happens the E46 will have a permanent spot in the garage. As you can imagine, that's a big motivating factor.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 04-18-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #31
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

In Lego Movie parlance, everything is awesome. Car runs great. She's a honey. DD'd her the past couple of weeks and have been loving every minute of it.

A few things of note:

- Did the zip tie loose kidney fix last night. Tight as a drum now.
- Still need to replace the cowl piece (sounds like codpiece, lol), shift knob and now the elephant grommet for the trunklid wiring.
- Kinda sorta waiting until the Z clears out of the garage to replace my shifter bushings. I have them in the box; just haven't really been able to devote a whole afternoon to it (and the CDV while I'm under there).
- Need to figure out some way to remove the nasty rubber coating on the ashtray lid and surround. It's all scratched up and it's bugging me to look at.
- A steering guibo replacement is on the list too. Going to do swaybar bushings as a part of that fix as well.
- Orient really seems to show the yellow pollen coating this time of year. Fun fun.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:33 AM   #32
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
for the rubber coating removal, get it in some scolding hot water and let it soak. maybe even with a dash of paint thinner. after that you should be able to get it off with your fingers or a putty knife.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:06 AM   #33
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Quote:
In Lego Movie parlance, everything is awesome. Car runs great. She's a honey. DD'd her the past couple of weeks and have been loving every minute of it.

A few things of note:

- Did the zip tie loose kidney fix last night. Tight as a drum now.
Can you tell me more about this? I really need to fix one of mine!

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #34
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
for the rubber coating removal, get it in some scolding hot water and let it soak. maybe even with a dash of paint thinner. after that you should be able to get it off with your fingers or a putty knife.
I'll give that a try. I assume the plastic underneath is the same as, say, the plastic on the stereo and HVAC? I guess I'll find out. Can't really look at worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Can you tell me more about this? I really need to fix one of mine!
In my (limited) experience, the success of the fix depends on which tabs are busted. The gist of it is just getting up under there with a bag of zip ties and securing what you can. In my case, I used one zip tie around the two center tabs (the inboard ones of both kidneys). Pulled tight---but not too tight for the plastic---the zip tie keeps the tabs from sliding off the sheet metal tabs in the hood they interface with.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 04-22-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #35
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
All of them are busted on that side, lol.
Looks like I have to do the "make new clips out of sheet metal strap" fix.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #36
05SMG

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZSP
Quote:
Adjusted the parking brake today using Pelican's helpful DIY.

Jacked the rear of the car up. Pried up the parking brake boot and slackened the cables using the adjusting screws:

As far as the adjustment cylinders on the parking brakes themselves, I really had to remove the discs to see what the heck I was supposed be adjusting:

As a bonus, it gave me another opportunity to take stuff apart and put it back together, which I enjoy. The driver's side disc was somewhat stuck to the hub, but a little PB Blaster and a few taps to the back of the disc with a mallet (buffered by a block of wood) and it popped off easily enough. I applied some grease to the hub-to-brake mating surfaces so hopefully they'll come off more easily in the future.

I'm fairly sure I would not have been able to find the adjustment wheel without having removed the disc. There was a lot of removing and reinstalling the disc until I had the adjustment technique down pat and could do it until the discs no longer turned. Backed the adjusters off ten clicks, reinstalled the calipers and wheels, cycled the parking brake, pulled the handle up two clicks, tightened the cables, verified everything was nominal, lowered the car, test drive, perfect.

Onward!
Nice DIY. I'm saving this one because I need to do the same.
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #37
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Totally and completely filthy but #love:

Like my one and only bumper sticker?

/politics

In the interest of keeping a record, a couple of weekends ago I replaced the shift bushings. Report here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1105608

Ordered thermostat, lower rad hose and steering guibo also.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #38
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
You should consider doing a bixenon retrofit. It's very well worth it

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #39
RandyB

My Ride: '03 330i
Very nice example!

It looks like you found a nice one there! I don't think I have ever seen another E46 330i out on the roads where I live without a sunroof besides my own.

Good job on the work you have done so far - can't wait to see what you do next. I kind of prefer the stock SP front bumper cover to the M-Tech for some reason.

I have an Electric Red/Black '03 330i 6-speed with no sunroof that I have owned since new and still love it to this day. I ordered mine with only four options - SP, Bi-Xenons, Leather and Titanium Trim.

Randy
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #40
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
You should consider doing a bixenon retrofit. It's very well worth it
I would like to eventually. I'm not a "headlight enthusiast" but the availability of the option from the factory is attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
It looks like you found a nice one there! I don't think I have ever seen another E46 330i out on the roads where I live without a sunroof besides my own.

Good job on the work you have done so far - can't wait to see what you do next. I kind of prefer the stock SP front bumper cover to the M-Tech for some reason.

I have an Electric Red/Black '03 330i 6-speed with no sunroof that I have owned since new and still love it to this day. I ordered mine with only four options - SP, Bi-Xenons, Leather and Titanium Trim.

Randy
Thanks Randy! Good for you for keeping yours from new! I'm surprised leather was an option; I thought all US-bound E46s got leather except for some bargain-basement 325s with leatherette.

Won't be doing much next except for basic maintenance and bringing the car back to 100% and keeping it there. As mentioned, if I had ordered mine new like yours in 2002, I would have optioned it exactly as it is.

Post some pics of yours! Would be nice to see another slicktop E46.