E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Manual 325i or auto ZHP?
Manual 325i 56 56.00%
Auto ZHP 44 44.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #61
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Driving a manual car for daily use, especially in the city can get old. Sitting in traffic on the highway, or stop lights, smoking cigarettes, quick snack on the way to work, or talking on the phone. All of this is made more challenging. How about if your injured, and find you can't realistically drive the car. Visiting others and the driveway piles up, someone is blocked in and leaving before you, and you are the only person who knows how to move the car. Normal daily driving is made much easier with auto.

I love driving manual. For the quicker reaction, and control. Most of all I love that it requires more attention, and makes other tasks less appealing. I pay more attention, and am more in tune with the task on hand.

This said, if you are okay with an auto, and it's a daily driven car, don't let people make you feel bad for a 330 ZHP. The standard 325i is really basic anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 05-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #62
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtz80 View Post
Exactly. But that's just what I can say from personal experience.
oh i can certainly see why. 330-ZSP manual and 330-ZHP automatics have about the same 0-60. Sport and ZHP basically the same sport goodies. i'd take a manual over a similar automatic everyday.

because lets face it, with a manual you're driving the car, with an automatic you're just steering it.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #63
Rob76

My Ride: 318Ci 2.0
Would you rather have a manual 325i or an auto ZHP?

I prefer also manual, driven it from the day that I've got my drivers license until 2 years ago.
Bad knee and made my decision to buy automatic.
In my case the steptronic is the best of both worlds, riding it in manual with sequential shifting or just relaxed in auto.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met E46Fanatics

Last edited by Rob76; 05-12-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #64
jaymtz80

My Ride: 330i 5spd+05 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob76 View Post
I prefer also manual, driven it from the day that I've got my drivers license until 2 years ago.
Bad knee and made my decision to buy automatic.
In my case the steptronic is the best of both worlds, riding it in manual with sequential shifting or just relaxed in auto.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met E46Fanatics
Sequential shifting on the automatic is really nothing like driving a stick shift. Unless you got a high-performance sports car with an actual clutch in it and paddle shifters. Otherwise you're just doing a computer's job for it.
jaymtz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #65
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I'm really surprised that most of the pollers would have a base 325i in manual over a 330 ZHP with steptronic... guess it depends on what you're using the car for. Still feel like the ZHP would be way more fun, faster, and IMO more comfortable and better looking.

I get the feeling that a lot of members that answered in favor of the manual have little to no experience with the ZF automatic - truly, it's nothing close to a "slushbox" at all.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #66
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
I get the feeling that a lot of members that answered in favor of the manual have little to no experience with the ZF automatic - truly, it's nothing close to a "slushbox" at all.
if it has a torque convertor it's a "slush box". this refers to how an automatic/fluid makes a torque convertor perform and power is lost.

also i don't think it's only the point it's not as quick as it's manual counterpart. but rather the "driving experience" those who like the 3 pedals are use to.

like the saying goes, one you drive the car, the other you steer the car.

but heck, this comparision isn't about apple to apples, it's a non-sport suspension/packaged 325i to a 330i-ZHP automatic.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 05-12-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #67
hodgkinsc330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
if it has a torque convertor it's a "slush box". this refers to how an automatic/fluid makes a torque convertor perform and power is lost.
I'm familiar with that, but I feel like it's also a term used to refer to the poor performance and slow shifting of bad automatic gearboxes. I could very well be wrong though

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #68
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I'm familiar with that, but I feel like it's also a term used to refer to the poor performance and slow shifting of bad automatic gearboxes. I could very well be wrong though
if it has a torque convertor it absorbs power and is not as quick with gears as a manual properly shifted.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #69
jaymtz80

Quote:
I'm really surprised that most of the pollers would have a base 325i in manual over a 330 ZHP with steptronic... guess it depends on what you're using the car for. Still feel like the ZHP would be way more fun, faster, and IMO more comfortable and better looking.
I think it's probably because they've never driven a ZHP automatic or perhaps not even any zhp for that matter. As for me I've had both ind there is no comparison whatsoever. Also if you turn the DSC completely off on a zhp automatic you can smoke the tire like crazy. No LSD so it's just one tire fire.

Last edited by jaymtz80; 05-12-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #70
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtz80 View Post
I think it's probably because they've never driven a CHP automatic...
here in CA i think all the CHP cruisers are automatic

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 05-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #71
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
If the 330 were DCT, then that'd be a different story.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #72
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

330 all day long!!!

I'm the guy that wrote the book on the 6-speed manual conversion. IF it makes a big enough difference to you to have 3 pedals vs 2 then do the conversion.

You'll regret getting a 325 after you feel the difference in power from a 330.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #73
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
There is absolutely no comparison.

A manual 325i will blow the doors off the auto ZHP

A 325i can be shifted at 6000 where it makes about 200hp
A ZHP AUTO will typically shift itself at 3000 where it makes about 125hp

Having a stick shift is like DOUBLING your useable horsepower instantly.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #74
jaymtz80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post

HAHAHHAA, you're joking right? Because if your not, you are just talking out of your ass. My auto ZHP will go straight to the redline. No 325i regardless of auto or manual will beat the ZHP Auto.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #75
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post

Sent from my E46Fanatics mobile app

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #76
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
It has nothing to do with the speed of the ZHP or the quality of its auto trans; it has to do with the fact that a 3-pedal manual gives you total control over the way in which the power is delivered to the wheels. Once you've experienced that level of control, especially in an enthusiast car, it's very difficult to settle for an automatic anything.

Current: '02 330i/5 • '10 Mazda5 • '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #77
jaymtz80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
It has nothing to do with the speed of the ZHP or the quality of its auto trans; it has to do with the fact that a 3-pedal manual gives you total control over the way in which the power is delivered to the wheels. Once you've experienced that level of control, especially in an enthusiast car, it's very difficult to settle for an automatic anything.
Unless you are coming out of a 325i manual and in to a ZHP auto. Hahaha...
Old 05-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #78
cscracker

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
There's no question whatsoever, manual only for me. I'd even have a manual 318i over the auto ZHP.

Ever since I got my first manual (I had a 5-speed conversion done on my '89 325iX after the automatic failed) and learned how to drive it, I hate driving automatics. They're always in the wrong gear. I've never understood the appeal. I also don't buy the sitting in traffic argument - I do a whole lot of that myself, and it's no big deal. The sloppy on/off of an automatic when applying and removing the gas in traffic is more stressful for me than working the clutch.
cscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:25 AM   #79
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
I know I'm new here and am not as zealous about BMWs as some of you guys... but in my experience...

A BMW without a manual transmission is much like a Volvo without a Turbo.... "Why bother?"

I'd get something else if I wanted an automatic that was "fun." Mercedes E550 bi-turbos are getting down in price, and talk about scary fast when you stomp on it. If you've never driven one with a tune, you're missing out.
avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:58 AM   #80
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscracker View Post
... I also don't buy the sitting in traffic argument - I do a whole lot of that myself, and it's no big deal. The sloppy on/off of an automatic when applying and removing the gas in traffic is more stressful for me than working the clutch.
Not gonna lie, this is something I've felt, too.

I was leery about making my Manual 325xi my everyday commuter car. my area traffic is out of control. you can average 3-8mph for 5-7 miles at a time. sitting still for 15-30 seconds at a time. Soul draining.

What I found with all my other cars (automatics) is that my knee starts to hurt... a lot... after about 15-20 minutes of gas-brake, gas-brake, cooaaast. You have to use quite a bit more force to keep the car from rolling forward, and more force to bring it down from speed with automatic transmissions.

With my manual 325xi, i've found myself being that douche keeping lots of car lengths between me and the people in front of me when I see traffic come to a stop 20-30 cars ahead. it allows me to use overrun fuel cut to save gas.

If you timed it right, the brake lights will cascade off toward you as you approach the car in front of you and you'll never actually have to come to a stop... OCD nirvana

avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote