E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
87 300D

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
03 325xi wagon..recently, March, bought used 116k ...garaged..Natick, Mass. Maintaine

I bought this car on a whim, a Herb Chambers BMW trade in...however 14 years old...but low miles, garage kept...and all is real...I checked.

The Lawyers wife who drove it only once and a while from Natick Mass, 2003. to 2016. never abused the 325xi....yea I don't know this, but the interior is perfect...given time and not given time!

Long story.....The current factory 2003 Michelin tires..3 of which still,,,both front andf oner rear...the remainder 0 7 is in the trunk..............now, alll remaining with 70% tread, are dated useless. and the tire rubber is cracking now badly.

Yes, I know I need to flush the brake system, power steering too!....It's 14 years old....and it looks brand new my friends say.....`

What Service records I got...NONE. There is a (the little fox guy) as seen on TV selling false info....People in New England....as well as all Us...The little Fox is a liar.
87 300D is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
silenze

My Ride: 2003 325CI
Thats not low mileage. I have 20k. I also had 0 service records on carfax. It usually means all service was performed before carfax started tracking records. I just had the airbag recall done and it showed up on carfax the next day.
silenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
If the tires are junk, let's hope the cv boots aren't too. You're going to need more than a brake and power steering fluid flush. 116K isn't bad mileage, but it's not low, my 03 only has about 145K.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
I think I'm at 115k right now, on a 325xi.

All done in the past 18 months: front axles, front control arm bushings, tie-rods, entire cooling system including fan and radiator, front and rear brakes, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and more.

You're looking forward to all of that if it hasn't been done. Minus the oil pan gasket and front axles, it's all pretty easy and doable. The oil pan gasket is a whole day or weekend--the subframe has to be dropped and the engine held up from the top. Stick with the forum, search, and you'll be fine.

If you have an 87 300D, you should know now that this car is a POS, quality-wise, compared to it. Don't expect the same durability.

Last edited by lingon300k; 05-19-2017 at 07:15 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #5
87 300D

Yes, the 87 300D had quality..but!

A very wealthy friend of mine once said, "I never ever keep a Porsche beyond 60k"!

I parted ways in 2007 with my 87 300D at 230k because of excessive body rot located in the rear diff-axle-to-unit body frame...Massachusetts inspection failed the car.

Three other eighties MB's I owned, 450sl, 190e, 300d 5 cyl, also had rust-rot issues, mainly in the rocker panels and jack ports. In my opinion, MB cars rust to rot much faster than other German cars. My current driver, a 97 Audi A6 Avant, I bought used at 92k in 2007 still today May 2017, has no body rust, now 20 years old.

Just to add this note..in 1995-96-97...Audi galvanized lower body.

I understand mostly what I bought, and what I can afford.

My 97 Audi 11 years ago at 92k underwent brake and transmission flush...yea, I took the chance on the transmission flush. Since that time, I replaced both struts, and the right front tiller arm ball joint. Later 2 years, I replaced the rear rotors and brake pads and in 2013, I replaced timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and thermostat.

My 97 A6 at 195k retains original..front discs, calipers, pads....also original spark plug wires (I voluntarily replace the original plugs) Also, same original alternator and starter, and all exhaust system. The A6 has always passed emissions since 2007 into 2017.

After having owned many used American cars, since 1971....I believe Germans build better cars.

This 14 year old BMW 325xi, is similar to my Audi experience...from 11 years ago.

I know now about the importance to replace all cooling components.

I am only worried about to change..or NOT change the automatic transmission fluid at 116.5K miles?

I did it with the Audi...and it remains 100%
87 300D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #6
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
the OP gave me brain cancel.

5/7 would read again.
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #7
87 300D

Sorry for the brain cancel!

Quote: