E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #41
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Very cool!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #42
_tomp_

My Ride: '04 E46 330D
Quote:
Originally Posted by schokomanu View Post
And can I do a standard ecu remap when I run with these injectors or do I have to do it on a dyno? I know now that I don't need a remap to get them running, but seems to be better to get the full advantage of them.
In theory you don't need to do a remap to make the car go. So you can easly swap the injectors in one place and then go to your tunner to do a remap. But as you've seen on the dyno chart posted by m490, torque line is not engine friendly. So practically you have to do this to make your car work properly
| 535d Injectors| Alpina B3 Interior | 19" BBS LM Reps| Federal 595 |
_tomp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #43
chris****

My Ride: 330cd vert
Very interesting thread. And i am doing what most of you guys have done! So next on my list is 535d injectors, and a bigger front mounted cooler.

Anyone had a remap and then done the injectors? As what sort of gains are to be expected?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #44
Robin330d

My Ride: 330d
Smile 330d What map are you runnning!?

Hello Guys, new member here, I have got a 330d e46 53 reg, Its currently de catted and mapped to 284hp, its alot for the current set up but was all done at eco tune glasgow. They now there stuff there!! I have just bought a large front mount for it and i want ot make 300 like Tom. I am looking for the 535d injectors, but i wanted to know if Tom has the map for his car, as mine will soon be rather simalar. Otherwise, its another remap including all the cost.

Great Info on this forum btw.
Robin330d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #45
Ultracharger

My Ride: 330D -04 & 745iA E23
Quote:
Originally Posted by M490 View Post
Glad i could help!!
You have done so much more to your performance side! I am thinking to get a big intercooler to my car as well.

I have spent quite a lot of time (and money) to improve the drivetrain system and still it doesn't handle the 600Nm torque well. With your cars huge torque, I can imagine that you will soon have the same kind of challenges.
- OEM clutch died really soon, sachs racing clutch kit is working fine now
- the drive shaft rubber joint (universal joint?) is lasting max one year and have to be changed regularly
- All bushings in the rear axle area are under really heavy stress, i had to replace them with powerflex bushings
- My rear axle carrier just got cracked and is currently under welding and powdercoating, the workshop is strenghtening it with some extra welding
- While the carrier was taken off, i got my Quaife LSD taken apart and inspected, it was ok

I have been satisfied with Quaife LSD, but the whole differential unit in 330d is quite weak (i mean for example quite small drive flange bore) and i'm not sure how long it is going to last. I am starting to think to get E46 M3 differential...

But again, very nice mods!!!

M490
Hello, I have a 330d touring (6speed manual and 204hp) that I'm going to remap soon. My setup: 3" exhaust from turbo, decat, no dpf, egr delete, big intercooler and a methanol injection system. This should put out a bit over 300hp and 700nm+.

So now I think I need a new clutch How does your clutch handle? What exact mods have you done to it?
Is it worth getting a remap done without changing the clutch first?

Thanks in advance!
Ultracharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #46
Ultracharger

Smile Clutchy thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tomp_ View Post
340-350 is the minimum plan, 360 is possible. I won't be very suprised when it will bring 380 with alcohol injection. The max torque will remain below 720 Nm (around 530 lb/ft) but we will rev the engine to 5k rpm with high torque even at 4,5k rpm.
Hello/witam,

I have a E46 330d touring -05 (6speed manual and 204hp) that I'm going to remap soon. My setup: 3" exhaust from turbo, decat, no dpf, egr delete, big intercooler, 2,5" pressure pipes and a methanol injection system (methanol injection does a big differance even with stock map ). (lsd diff, injectors and turbo uppgrade are future plans)

My setup today without chip or remap puts out about 240-250hp according to G-tech meter. This should easily put out a bit over 300hp and 700nm+ after a remap.

So now I think I need a new clutch How does your clutch handle?
Is it even possible do a good remap with the stock clutch (160 000km na budziku) or do I need a proper clutch first?

What do you recommend? (I'd rather stay away from sinter clutches as this is my daily driver)

Btw, I've heard of a guy here in Sweden who used an unsprung uprated clutch and a lightened singleweight flywheel. He broke his outgoing gearbox bearings this way. He didn't recommend it

Thanks in advance/dzieki!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #47
jassi uk

My Ride: 330d sport
Hi Guys

Hope this thread aint dead, i have a 330d 184bhp and looking to transplant the 335d 275bhp engine across, would my original loom fire it up? i understand that the twin turbo will cause issues as it is ecu drive rather than the vacum driven system.
jassi uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #48
Ultracharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi uk View Post
Hi Guys

Hope this thread aint dead, i have a 330d 184bhp and looking to transplant the 335d 275bhp engine across, would my original loom fire it up? i understand that the twin turbo will cause issues as it is ecu drive rather than the vacum driven system.
I have seen very few beemers with the mod you are talking about. It's a mucho job to do. First of all I'm very sure that you will need the new loom. Even on my 330d E46 the turbo has electronic actuator so on the twinturbo it will be even more complicated. I don't think the 184hp ECU is compatible with this. Otherwise I imagine that most of the loom is very similar.

Secondly, most people that swap the engine seem to change gearbox for some reason. Maybe the flywheel and clutch are a different size?

I would advise you to tune the stock engine instead. An aquaintance of mine had a 330d 184hp tuned to 270hp and 600+nm. (Without meth/water injection.)

A great tip is to use a water/methanol kit. On mine this alone gave 60hp and 80nm extra without even doing a remap (I had egr-delete, cat delete, big IC but stock ECU when this was tested). It also saves the engine by reducing heat.

Hope this helps
Sorry for my rusty english.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #49
jassi uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracharger View Post
I have seen very few beemers with the mod you are talking about. It's a mucho job to do. First of all I'm very sure that you will need the new loom. Even on my 330d E46 the turbo has electronic actuator so on the twinturbo it will be even more complicated. I don't think the 184hp ECU is compatible with this. Otherwise I imagine that most of the loom is very similar.

Secondly, most people that swap the engine seem to change gearbox for some reason. Maybe the flywheel and clutch are a different size?

I would advise you to tune the stock engine instead. An aquaintance of mine had a 330d 184hp tuned to 270hp and 600+nm. (Without meth/water injection.)

A great tip is to use a water/methanol kit. On mine this alone gave 60hp and 80nm extra without even doing a remap (I had egr-delete, cat delete, big IC but stock ECU when this was tested). It also saves the engine by reducing heat.

Hope this helps
Sorry for my rusty english.
What mods were done? i am also looking into 535d injectors though im getting mixed reviews as in whats letting me down in achieving 280bhp (turbo or injectors).
Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #50
Ultracharger

Quote:
What mods were done? i am also looking into 535d injectors though im getting mixed reviews as in whats letting me down in achieving 280bhp (turbo or injectors).
Mods needed: Bigger Exhaust (especially front cat/dpf-delete), EGR-delete and a bigger intercooler (and a good life insurance ). Then you need a proper remap done.

The guy told me that his turbo is bottomed out at 1,7 bar = ca 270hp. More boostpressure didn't do anything. He was driving at 85% of max fuelrail pressure so there is 15% more to give with stock injectors (black smoke in all gears=good).

If you are chasing big power try getting an uprated turbo (hard to find). There is a guy that has 305hp and 700nm with such a setup.

A new clutch is a must when you pass 280hp (I also recomend a single mass flywheel as I've heard the stock one can fail at this torque).
A CDV-delete is a very good idea if you want to keep your clutch longer.

On top of all this, get yourself a water/methanol kit and you will go head to head with me
Old 08-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #51
jassi uk

But would the 35d lump fit into the e46 engine bay?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #52
Ultracharger

Quote:
But would the 35d lump fit into the e46 engine bay?
Sorry, I'm probably just tired but what do you refer to as "lump" ?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #53
jassi uk

Lump = engine
Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #54
Ultracharger

Quote:
Lump = engine

It's basically the same engine so I don't see why it wouldn't fit. Also there are people who have fitted the 35d engines in E46's. The only place where it could be tight is the exhaustmanifold with twinturbo.

I have replaced the turbo on my 330d and it was a rather big job to do so if you at some point would need to work on the twinturbo I would recommend you to take out the engine. (Just to give you a hint on how tight it is)
Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #55
jassi uk

Have you got any links to the guys that have put the 35d into a e46?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #56
DJ Syxx

My Ride: BMW M3
looks nice, good power gains too. my only criticism is the front number plate where its positioned on the bumper it just looks wrong. I'd get a smaller numberplate fitted to the middle or run plateless.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #57
DaweTDS

My Ride: E39 530d
Hi everyone.
I have a E39 530d 135KW + GT2260V (from E60) cat and egr OFF.
I have power to 250ps and 578Nm, but I have a problem.
Turbo boost only 1.4 bar turbo pressure sensor as measured up to 1.5 bar.
I want to turbo boost 1.6 bar.
Advise anyone to edit the control unit so that it work with the pressure sensor to 2 bar? (E46 110kw 320)
I also have a chart from the dyno. send e-mail.
Sorry, I do not speak English and I use google translator.
Thanks for the advice.
DaweTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #58
jassi uk

I have the choice of fitting a 204 bhp engine and box but how hard is it to fit the loom ews and ecu accross? And is it worth swapping to a 204bhp as opposed to the 184bhp?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #59
jassi uk

??
Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #60
Valeri Yordanov

My Ride: E46 330cd
Hello All,
nobody reply regarding the clutch upgrade. I can see Tom is using Clutch - e60 218ps. I have BMW 330cd 204hp and I need to replace the clutch anyway. I want to use the moment to upgrade it at this time. Can I put a clutch from e60 218hp? Shall I need to do any modifications? And at last... is it actually an upgrade e.g. is it stronger than genuine E46 330d clutch?
Valeri Yordanov is offline   Reply With Quote