E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 as a grand tourer?

5K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  keepbreakindown 
#1 ·
Hello everybody! I've tried to search for a similar topic but couldn't find one that would answer my questions.

I've been eyeing a preFL(I think it looks better and is cheaper) E46 as a replacement for my VW Polo(oh yeah, I'm on the other side of the Atlantic) since it's been a real disapointment in several aspects(slow, loud, rather uncomfortable, slow, no boot, zero practicality). What I had in mind was a 323i, but due to the subframe horror stories I think I'll pass on that and set my sights on a later 320i(170 bhp I think is enough and the insurance doesn't rip me apart). But one of the things that I really really want is ride comfort. I don't do many miles on a daily basis(30-50 max) but once in a while I like to go road tripping, and do a 1000 miles in a day. And for those occasions I need some comfort.

Is the E46 comfortable enough to do this? What are your expiriences? I'd love to hear them. Does the E46 preform well as a grand tourer and if yes, with what kind of seats? Or should be heading more in the E39 direction(nice car, but a bit too big and I don't really like it)?

I test drove a 323i, it had low profile tyres on 18" rims on standard suspenion and on a rough road that made my small hatchback wallow around, I was being thrown around in the BMW. It had standard cloth seats and they didn't provide any grip at all, so it wasn't the best of rides. It could've been just down to the silly tyres, but I'm not sure, and it didn't fill me with confidence...

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the e46 alot and i do 500 mile+ trips and at least about 600 miles a week. I have a 325, and by far it is not the fastest but all around it is the perfect car for me. I have the sport seats and i am very impressed with how comfortable i am after awhile, just as long as i have a good seat postion which sometimes is hard to find. Suspension can be alittle rough at time though.

\

#6 ·
I'll take 10-14 hour trips in my car occasionally. If you get an e46 with the 15 or 16" rims, and standard suspension then you should be fine. I can cruise at 80mph and feel totally fine for hours. The lower profile tires you get, and sport suspension will make any car a little harder on long trips.

You should get great gas mileage with the 320i too, which is a plus on long trips. I'll average 32 mpg on the highway going about 70 mph in my 323i(5-speed trans)

I've kept debating getting some BBS Anthracite CKs and a Hotchkis suspension kit with Bilstein struts, but I really don't want to kill the long-distance driveability of my car. Oh well

#8 ·
Suspension really isn't all that bad in my opinion, it is well damped, and the seats are good too but only if you got the sports with lumbar, the regular seats can hurt your back after 2 hours or so.

The worst I can think of is that if the car has wide tires, they'll pull you left and right following the shape of the road. So you need to concentrate just to stay straight on the highway if it's not completely flat.

#9 ·
Sport seats are by far the best for long trips. I've driven 9hours in one sitting [small stops here and there] and I was super fresh coming out of the car, no aches or pains. The stiff suspension will give you trouble over bad pavement... but if you are on a decent highway you should be fine.

Another issue is temperature.... If you have summer tires [sport suspension stock equipment] and are driving in warm/hot weather [85+deg] then the ride will be downright cushy. But take the summer tires out of their natural happy habitat of warm weather and the ride becomes less pleasant.

#11 ·
OP, it sounds like you want a Cadillac or a Lincoln. I have a coupe with sport package and it is fine on long trips. The seats are very supportive and I have no problems. An E46 can serve as a grand tourer as well as any other car, and quite a bit better than a lot of cars with GT in their names. A certain Ford product immediately comes to mind.

#14 ·
Honestly, take out the grand in grand tourer and I think you've got an ok description. But, that's assuming you leave the car bone stock. Throw on some large rims with thin tires and a sporty suspension system and you're left with a ride too harsh to classify the car as a tourer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.