E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Best amp and setup for sub and HK audio

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hizhinezz 
#1 ·
I have found numerous threads with some of this info, but forgive me for asking anew: (if you know the best thread please just link, much appreciated)

I am going with JL Audio setup as clearly is preferred fro easy install... adding sub to stock HK system in 2001 330.

1. What do people think is the best JL audio amp for pairing with a JL W1 12" Subwoofer?

2. What is the ideal setup in terms of install/wire placement? (insert link, lol)

3. What do people see as ideal setup for optimal sound?

Basically just looking for opinions on which JL amp to go with, then the links to the install/setup info... couldn't find one specific to this model...

Thanks!

#3 ·
1. I doubt you'll see much difference in the various JL amps in terms of SQ and that's not a power-hungry sub, so I'd just go with the XD300/1 (assuming you're set on JL amps).

2. Your wire placement would really depend on where you mount your sub enclosure and amp. However, it shouldn't be too much work, seeing as how all the wiring is already in your trunk. You'll just tap into the HK amp harness for your remote and for the signal out to a line out converter. I'll PM you a few links to get you started.

3. There's only so much you can do with the stock setup without gutting it and starting from scratch. A simple amp/sub addition will help fill in the lower end nicely, but you're still limited by the factory system components.

#5 ·
I have a 500/1 sub amp with a 300/2 stacked with their STACK-KIT-2. The STACK-KIT-2 is unfortunately discontinued but their -3 kit should easily be used with spacers in between. The BMW Business CD interfaces directly quite nicely with the JL audio amps and sounds fabulous. I'm sorry I did not cut the harness and do this many years ago. The HK amp is shameful.

Happy Listening!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.