E46 Fanatics Forum banner

? Cv axle problems again?

10K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  pcdsl 
#1 · (Edited)
I broke my Cv axle last winter (fresh snow empty+ parking lot:rofl:) bought entire axle and had it installed. Awhile back noticed on my way to work that when i slowed to about 40mph a rumble would start if I gently gave it gas. It would go away about 45mph. Then noticed it at low rpms while driving in town occasionally. The other day the garbage man parked on a somewhat blind curve to get a milfs digits and i came up on them at around 65-70mph (thank god I had my car and not my truck ) hard braking and no slipping (kinda gravel) I stopped. The look on their face was priceless so I just shook my head and went around them. Now the noise is more persistent and and I dont know where to start. Help :help:
I think its a suspension /axle problem but everything apears fine? Axle has lifetime waranty

#3 ·
I had both front cv axles replaced in March
The cv axles where from Mac auto (ebay) $220
Work was done at Bettendorf Auto Werks (IA) $220
The guy has an M3 and had seen many Bmw's in and out of his shop he said it was no problem and did it right away and had it back in a couple hrs.

#4 ·
I'm guessing you had crappy Chinese axles installed and one or both is bad now. That said, others here have had similar issues and it turned out to be tranny/TC/diff related, but that's usually the exception.

I would have the shop take another look at the axles.

There should be a warranty on the axles for at least a year. Since you brought our own parts, labor is probably not covered. If you do get more axles, i recommend A1 cardone reman axles.

Oh- do you have a chrome xi? I've heard of the chrome m3 . . .

#6 ·
Been reading forum on and off all day the problem was happening only in morning I noticed it after driving 5 miles and tried to diagnose it doing diffrent things ie: coasting from 55 to 40 ,breaking as normal and down shifting to slow. After reading posts I did notice excess break dust on driver side didnt think about at the time (untill now) since my 2 &4 yr olds were helping detail car. I'll check calipers brakes.

#7 ·
I had similar shaking/vibration after a 30+ minute drive and playing with the throttle on & off would fix it temporarily.
It was the front, INNER CV joints, the grease from the factory was GONE, but the boots were intact! Either there wasn't enough grease or it was crap.
I had the joints cleaned & put back together properly, no more problems :)
So, even if the boots look good, look inside.
Or it could be your brakes, but I suggest all Xi owners check for missing grease on the under the inner boots ;)
I was lucky & got it before any damage was done to the axles.

#25 ·
The expansion tank is really a sticky issue. On the one hand, I didn't want to install a cheap made-in-china expansion tank. On the other, the OEM expansion tank isn't exactly the highest quality either.

I'm kinda surprised an aftermarket aluminum alternative hasn't been produced.

#27 ·
GKN axles: my experience

Kubica:
I have experience with "GKN Loebro" axles. I purchased a right-front axle from Pelican. It installed well and has worked without issues. I've had it in my '02 325xi for 6,000 miles. I'm happy with it.

I compared this axle ($378.75, purchased Jan 2010) to the BMW axle ($700+) sold at the Schomp BMW dealership near Denver. I found 2 notable differences:
  1. Packaging
  2. Missing shield on GKN reman'd axle (see photo)

The packaging of the BMW axle was superb with its internal cradling of the axle at multiple points in order to hold it straight and cushion it during transport. The GKN axle was just stuck in an oblong box without internal support. Maybe it doesn't matter on something as tough as an axle. It wasn't a big issue for me.

But I was made to believe I was going to get an *exact* BMW axle, just like that from the dealership. The BMW axle was more complete, with its shield.

The missing shield that protects the pedestal-to-axle interface was more concerning. The BMW axle had one; the shield on the GKN unit had clearly been removed, probably during the reman process. The shield protects the axle shaft seal (a "grease seal"). That may or may not make a real difference but it was notably missing. See the photo for a side-by-side comparison with the axle that I replaced--an aftermarket axle, I think. I posted this photo on the Pelican website in my generally favorable review of the the axle. Pelican contacted their supplier, at my request, who verified that GKN axles were now supplied without this shield.

Maybe the missing shield isn't a big cause for concern but it is conspicuously absent.

Pelican now sells "Genuine BMW" axles--$479 vs: $333 for the GKN version. I don't know how they compare. See http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/shopcart/BE46/POR_BE46_SUSaxl_pg2.htm

Also, please know that this is the only experience I have with BMW axles. I am *not* a professional mechanic.

Photo note: The GKN axle is compared to the axle that was on my car, which, I believe, was an *aftermarket* axle. The photo does *not* compare the GKN axle to the genuine BMW axle that I mentioned above.

Attachments

#28 ·
Kubica:
I have experience with "GKN Loebro" axles. I purchased a right-front axle from Pelican. It installed well and has worked without issues. I've had it in my '02 325xi for 6,000 miles. I'm happy with it.

I compared this axle ($378.75, purchased Jan 2010) to the BMW axle ($700+) sold at the Schomp BMW dealership near Denver. I found 2 notable differences:
  1. Packaging
  2. Missing shield on GKN reman'd axle (see photo)

The packaging of the BMW axle was superb with its internal cradling of the axle at multiple points in order to hold it straight and cushion it during transport. The GKN axle was just stuck in an oblong box without internal support. Maybe it doesn't matter on something as tough as an axle. It wasn't a big issue for me.

But I was made to believe I was going to get an *exact* BMW axle, just like that from the dealership. The BMW axle was more complete, with its shield.

The missing shield that protects the pedestal-to-axle interface was more concerning. The BMW axle had one; the shield on the GKN unit had clearly been removed, probably during the reman process. The shield protects the axle shaft seal (a "grease seal"). That may or may not make a real difference but it was notably missing. See the photo for a side-by-side comparison with the axle that I replaced--an aftermarket axle, I think. I posted this photo on the Pelican website in my generally favorable review of the the axle. Pelican contacted their supplier, at my request, who verified that GKN axles were now supplied without this shield.

Maybe the missing shield isn't a big cause for concern but it is conspicuously absent.

Pelican now sells "Genuine BMW" axles--$479 vs: $333 for the GKN version. I don't know how they compare. See http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/shopcart/BE46/POR_BE46_SUSaxl_pg2.htm

Also, please know that this is the only experience I have with BMW axles. I am *not* a professional mechanic.

Photo note: The GKN axle is compared to the axle that was on my car, which, I believe, was an *aftermarket* axle. The photo does *not* compare the GKN axle to the genuine BMW axle that I mentioned above.
Nice post!

Feel free to chime in anytime!

#31 ·
A1 Cardone vs BMW axle?

I've heard generally good things about this brand of axles.

There are two axles in your photo. Please tell us where each came from. They look identical to me.

Is one the original axle you are replacing? Were the CV joints worn out? If so, how could you tell?

Some aftermarket axles have the "shield" molded as part of the body while the original axles use a separately-formed metallic shield that presses onto the collar of the axle. The axle I replaced (see photo in my earlier posting) is the bottom of two axles--it is an aftermarket version, I believe. Its shield was molded in to the body. Are the shields on your two axles molded in (plastic) or pressed on (metallic)?

I ask these questions because there is no branding information anyway on the axles I've had in-hand and I'd like to be able to identify the real BMW axle when I see it.

#32 ·
Sorry, the bottom one is the new one (A1), the top one is the old one I'm replacing. They are identical in terms of the metallic shields. It's pressed on. The A1's are done with original BMW axles.

My car was vibrating at 100km/h while accelerating. Once I got the old ones off, both inner and outer joints were loose. The new ones are extremely tight. I would recommend you guys replace the differential bushing when replacing the axles, to prevent leaking. I had to replace the passenger side bushing because it was leaking after. Pain in the butt to remove the axles again.

#35 ·
I got it from Rockauto. Yeah they charged $100 for two axles, $50 each. But shipping is $90 to Canada, so I don't know if it's worth for me to ship them back lol

I might just find someone local who wants to remanufacture axles and see if they want them cheap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.