E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Squeaky Tensioner

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  wildcat293 
#1 ·
My Fiance has a 2003 325i and it started having a squeaky noise coming from the engine compartment. You can mostly hear it when it is idling. So from my research sounds like it is a belt tensioner, it probably has the mechanical one, but I have not been in there to see yet. I see that most people convert over to the hydraulic one. My question is this: what is the best way to go about fixing it. First off I see at my local Autozone have a replacement for the mechanical one that has a one year warranty and says it is improved from the original one. Would this be a good option. The problem is that I would go with the conversion but I dont know where or how much that will all cost. Right now with getting married I dont have a lot of extra cash. And if it is a good option to go with the autozone one since it is only $54.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
just get the pulley - the conversion kit isn't an improvement its all hype.

You have 2 tensioner pulleys, DAYCO 89133 and 1 idler pulley DAYCO 89089

I replaced all 3 but you can probably get away with just replacing the tensioner pulleys.

rock auto has the cheapest price on these.

This has some good diy info http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=792466&highlight=dayco+89133+diy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.