E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Could this be the GM5 giving up ?

824 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Greg330CI 
#1 ·
Every now and again when i stop and turn the engine off the I don't get the interior light come on.

The windows forget their open/closed positions, so one-touch is lost, until they are reset by holding the window buttons with the ignition in position 2

Sometimes the time and date is lost from the widescreen satnav

I occasionally get the convertible top light flashing too even though the roof has not been opened.

The vehicle is an 2003 E46 M3. The battery is good condition and the alternator voltage is good too.

Could this be the GM5 mucking about ?

Maybe some IBUS strangeness?

I am wondering if the drivers seat harness may also be a culprit

Perhaps water ingress could cause all this.

Any help or anyone who has experienced similar please post.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds as though you are getting occasional voltage drops which are causing the GM5 and other electrical systems to reset, as though you have disconnected the battery. Could be a bad / corroded electrical connection somewhere. Try checking / cleaning the battery terminals and also, the main earth lead connections. If that does not solve the problem, suggest taking it to an auto electrician. They have test equipment than can measure voltages and resistance values and track down problems quickly, that are otherwise difficult to find visually. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.