E46 Fanatics Forum banner

alcon/staSiS or brembo 6-pot???

• alcon... more unique (and cool rotors, lol) also better performance

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • sheer size and performance (plus...its brembo)

Votes: 4 80.0%

StaSis/alcon mono-6 vs. brembo 6-pot

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jlcool007 
#1 · (Edited)
Basically after getting my new wheels and susp, i want to increase my braking modulation with some new brakes. (some that look cool also...)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=475661

my thread, has my predicament.....

but now, everyone has brembos...the only time i've ever SEEN alcon is at the tracks. I want this to be different, i want people to ask what they are, haha...plus the performance benefit that comes along with it.

Would you guys (track/street/perf.-oriented) ppl go with the setup seen here
http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/ca...0_283?osCsid=7f9003cdccd5928d82e1252400031998

or a mainstream brembo 6-pot w/ 4 pot rear

if you went with the brembo, what size rotors would you suggest (like 380mm/343mm) trying for the biggest possible WITHOUT WRECKING the brake bias/balance!!!!!my car is a 330ci w/19" staggered csl's

See less See more
#2 ·
Everyone here wants BBK for looks.

It really depends how much you're working your stock brakes now and how much money you have to spend. If you're truly overworking your stock brakes and getting fade even with agressive pads + fluid then I would go to the Brembo kit...I don't see the benefits of a more expensive kit on a non-dedicated track car.

As for rotor size...bigger = heavier, if you don't need the heat dissipation benefits that a larger rotor setup gives you then don't go for it.

#3 ·
Basically after getting my new wheels and susp, i want to increase my braking modulation with some new brakes. (some that look cool also...)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=475661

my thread, has my predicament.....

but now, everyone has brembos...the only time i've ever SEEN alcon is at the tracks. I want this to be different, i want people to ask what they are, haha...plus the performance benefit that comes along with it.

Would you guys (track/street/perf.-oriented) ppl go with the setup seen here
http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/ca...0_283?osCsid=7f9003cdccd5928d82e1252400031998

or a mainstream brembo 6-pot w/ 4 pot rear

if you went with the brembo, what size rotors would you suggest (like 380mm/343mm) trying for the biggest possible WITHOUT WRECKING the brake bias/balance!!!!!my car is a 330ci w/19" staggered csl's
dreamdriftdrive pretty much covers anything I would like to mention on thinking twice about the upgrade. I agree that most still have some room with their stock brakes and do not really need a BBK kit for the street. However, on the other side of the argument for those that do not really "need" the BBK-there is the aesthetic appeal, increased performance, and most importantly being unique and setting your ride apart.

With the increased wheel size and weight of your CSL reps, a BBK will help you manage that extra unsprung weight effectively.

With your question regarding brand- Brembo would be the most widely known and recognized. However, this should not be the sole means to measure a product. This effect will give a Brembo kit more attention when someone points it out on your ride.

The BBK sizes you mentioned, IMO, are going to be overkill to the point of negative benefit for a street driven vehicle.

First- with a 380mm front, you are going to have a hard time fitting it under your CSL reps without some serious spacers. The weight of the 380mm kit will begin to put you to a point of marginal return. A 355mm will give you the best overall benefit and keep bias fairly neutral even with stock rear rotors allowing a rear upgrade to come later if funding or other issues prevented purchase at the same time. If you want a 6 piston setup, I would definitely recommend doing both front and rear at the same time to avoid excessive front brake bias. 4 Piston will more than suffice for track driving and certainly street.

In response to a post made in one of the linked threads above, M3 fitment BBK have different caliper brackets than the E46 330.

I tried to leave any personal bias out of this in order to allow you make an informed decision based on your needs.

FYI, if you are looking for a deal on Brembo, we have a E46 330 Brembo kit in stock available at blow out pricing. More info can be found from link in my sig. If you need a fitment guide to confirm clearance, please let me know!!

:hi:

#4 ·
I have a 330i with single pot, stock calipers that run stock rotors. Remember, I have a car that comes in at an ultra-lightweight 2875lbs, runs a super hard Hoosier tire and only has to run a sprint race (2.5hrs). I'm able to get away with the stock setup. The only differences are the pads (PFC 01's), SS lines and some home made ducts. I haven't had a problem as of yet but this setup seems to work for me. I've run a slightly longer race (6hrs) and the whole setup worked out.

#5 ·
ok

so now, regardless of how i lok at it, the bbk is just eye candy....

now, would you rather have the c-shaped rotors of the stasis or the drilled (or slotted) of the brembo's?

-jl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.