E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Looking for a street/auto-x compromise?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  murph1379 
#1 ·
Hey all:

I currently drive a 2003 non-sport 325i (5spd). I'm looking into autocrossing the car in the Spring, and would like a compromise between everyday street driveability and the track. I wouldn't really mind a harsher ride as long as it isn't completely unbearable. The car is completely stock, and I plan to do the suspension work myself...Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Have you autoXed before? If not, most will suggest to leave it stock for the time being. You don't want to really mod your car in order to make it "suitable" for autoX. I've seen a stock Sentra turn faster times than some BMW's (I admit the driver was advanced).

Get a good feel for your car in stock trim (at least one season of autoX). That way when you upgrade you'll be able to note the improvements.

#3 ·
I second that advice, the driver is a lot more important than the car at this point.

That said, if you're burning to spend your cash, there's plenty to spend it on, but you may be dissappointed, as the 325 is in the same class as the 330, so no matter what you do, you won't be beating the 330's. At this point, you're not going to be beating much of anybody, so just go out and have fun.

You're going to suck. Embrace this, and you'll have a good time. Within a year or two beating up on Porsches will be your favorite pastime. =]

When you're ready, and if you really want to burn money on the 325, get yourself a set of double-adjustable koni shocks from bimmerhaus, a set of R-compound autocross tires on a seperate set of wheels, some pads, maybe a bigger front swaybar, and maybe a new exhaust. These will all help you go faster, and are stock class legal. They will not allow you to beat the top drivers in DS, even locally. Only your driving can do that, and that will take many years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.