E46 Fanatics Forum banner

KW V2 coilovers

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  gnathologist 
#1 ·
Hello guys, I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this question. I could have been involved in a horrible accident due to what happened to my coilovers today.

I was driving and the nut that holds the entire coilover (shock and spring) came loose and my shock slipped off from the shock tower. I was lucky to be driving on a local road and pulled over right away.

What I noticed after I disassembled my coilover was that my shock was leaking oil. I am sure it is damaged. I was wondering if anyone here knows if KW V2 coilovers are rebuildable. I would be horrible If I have to buy the entire set, just because only one is damaged.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Where is everyone? :) Well, took my car to road race technologies in Dulles and they were shocked to see my coilover in that condition (leaking oil and rod piston being seized in the strut). They will just try to rebuild, if possible or buy the spare one from KW.

Feel like all the aftermarket parts are starting to go...my angel eyes are broken (burnt connectors), super sprint race exhaust welding failure, and KW coilover problem. Who knows what is going to go next...

Hope your aftermarket parts are having better luck.

#3 ·
that nut coming off just means the installer didnt torque it enough or they didnt use thread locker. even without the nut in place the weight of the car would hold it all together. so im guessing you hit a huge bump in the road right before the whole thing came loose. anyway, i hope everything works out. put some thread locker in that nut if you feel paranoid. :)

#4 ·
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the coilovers (fronts) come with the the springs already compressed and in an assembly from KW. The nut does have a nylon insert, which I'm assuming it self-locks as it's tightened...

RRT is pretty much waiting for the spare part to come in for the repair. They will make sure all my suspension parts are nice and tight, so that something like this will never happen, again. They will also be replacing my RTAB's with the OEM parts and their own shims. They don't seems to like the idea of using any other materials from OEM, but I see alot of members here using powerflex polyurethane bushings...

#6 ·
I've only heard good things about RRT. Had a minor work done and their cost is very reasonable. My friend also takes his car there and he seems to be very pleased with the overall service from them.

If you need any work done on your BMW, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

#7 ·
It's going to cost $650 (parts only) for the front passenger side strut for M3 from KW. This cost doesn't include the entire assembly. Only the strut with spring perch and bumpstop.

RRT still has my car, because they couldn't get info on how or who to contact to purchase the spare part.

Just letting you guys know, in case if anyone runs into the same problem I ran into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.